Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 12:52 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times

Advertisements

I'm not too worried.
Someone is trying to convince men, especially white men, that they are in crisis. Some believe it. Were men in the 1960s in crisis? In the 1970s? Since 2000? Men are always in some transitional state, as are women. Societal expectations change.

Some men are making bad life decisions. That makes them undesirable in some social or work situations. Do they recognize and correct their mistakes, or do they blame someone or something else? Then there might be expectations that are different. What is expected in California or Seattle, or Houston, or Chicago might not be what is expected on Oklahoma, or Alabama, or Connecticut, or Anchorage.

Old 09-21-2022, 12:54 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAgUHyXr7_Y

The argument made by Bill Maher is that there is a large problem brewing within society that goes unacknowledged and the rise of social media has made the problem worse. What thinks you?
As far as the video goes, churches have been dealing with this for awhile. The whole Promise Keeper movement occurred over two decades ago.

People like Maher want to get rid of God and His principles - and then when society shows the horrible effects of a culture without God - now they want to try and piece things back together without Him. Good luck with that.

Old 09-21-2022, 01:04 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,989,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
I would say that black men are in crisis and have been for about 50 years or so. Single parent households where the male is absent has been detrimental to the development of boys. And unfortunately in the AA demographic, the absence of a male adult is more prominent for a variety of other issues. This phenomenon affects all races and ethnicities. This is a proven fact. It's a viscous cycle that feeds off itself.
Young black boys/men are not the ones shooting up schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The problem with this POV is that in 1973, when this song was written, often women still couldn't even open a credit card or bank account without a male relative co-signing for them. It wasn't until 1974 that the Equal Credit Opportunity Act passed which was supposed to prohibit credit discrimination on the basis of gender. Back then, all girls were supposed to do was to "try to look pretty" to attract a man to take care of them. Not a time period to wax nostalgically about if you happened to be a women. Many women had so much more than that to contribute but weren't allowed to.

The truth is that women are finally starting to make their way up the ladder, and that will mean that some men on the lower rungs might get bypassed--just like just about all men bypassed women in the past. As a woman I have a hard time feeling too badly for them.
Absolutely!! I don't feel badly for them. They need to up their game at work, in relationships, in life. There are a lot of great people out there who would like to be in relationships, so if these guys would step it up, they could have a great life with someone. Whining about it isn't the answer.

Old 09-21-2022, 01:06 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I don’t need to watch the video to know that there is. Straight, strong males (particularly Caucasians) have been under attacked by the Left for awhile now.
So what’s wrong with the Karens ?? I think fear is painting a huge mural to this society and they just taking in like it’s Bible. Don’t get it.

Old 09-21-2022, 01:09 PM

21,934 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
The problem with this POV is that in 1973, when this song was written, often women still couldn't even open a credit card or bank account without a male relative co-signing for them. It wasn't until 1974 that the Equal Credit Opportunity Act passed which was supposed to prohibit credit discrimination on the basis of gender. Back then, all girls were supposed to do was to "try to look pretty" to attract a man to take care of them. Not a time period to wax nostalgically about if you happened to be a women. Many women had so much more than that to contribute but weren't allowed to.

The truth is that women are finally starting to make their way up the ladder, and that will mean that some men on the lower rungs might get bypassed--just like just about all men bypassed women in the past. As a woman I have a hard time feeling too badly for them.
1974 was 48 years ago. Women can get a credit card now.

Old 09-21-2022, 01:12 PM

21,934 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Gen Z, here. The chase is part of the fun! It is one of the reasons I have never used Tinder, or any other dating app. There is no fun in it.

Of course, I do not wish to toot my own horn, but I have never had trouble attracting the attention of even the most beautiful women I have ever seen. Perhaps that is also why I have never felt the need to try those apps...
Good to hear!

Old 09-21-2022, 01:14 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
1974 was 48 years ago. Women can get a credit card now.
Fought for mine. Literally went to the bank with my cancelled checked to prove I paid the bills. Last house bought it all on my own, 50 yrs ago, only the wealthy could do that.

Old 09-21-2022, 01:16 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Men aren't getting college degrees
College educated women aren't marrying men without degrees
Men aren't having sex

Crisis, no.
Sounds a lot like MGTOW mantra of blaming women for their own inadequacies.
Not being in first place in everything by default, as men have been historically, is not a crisis.
You don't need to be married to have sex. It's not some fake 1920s sitcom about some Christian Utopia land that never existed in reality.

A lot of women won't marry down. They still want to have sex and since the men in their strata generally are more interested in younger, hotter women than better educated, more successful women the numbers are not in their favor either. I've been several more casual relationships with much more successful women. I wasn't marriage material but they weren't above a romp in the haystack. While I do have a college degree, I don't work in a field where it's common. A fair number have an associates degree as junior colleges are a cost effective way to do the training, next largest group would be those with only a high school diploma or GED. Bachelors or masters are relatively rare. Pays pretty good so I know some people that made that hop from say social work as they can 2-3x as much not using their master's degree.

The problem that incel/MGTOW types have is aside from pity sex they aren't going to get any. They're just not pleasant people for anyone to be around, let alone a woman which who they blame for all their problems.

Last edited by Malloric; 09-21-2022 at 01:24 PM..

Old 09-21-2022, 01:19 PM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Is it any wonder that young men have relationship issues when all they read about is toxic masculinity, #metoo, etc, etc?
Is it any wonder women have issues when all they read about is that they're not attractive enough, not thin enough, feminine enough, not smart enough, not tough enough? Women have been told this for decades.

Sorry, I have no crap left to give for whiny men who think women and women's achievements are the causes of their problems. Cry me a river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
For example, lower status men are complaining because the average woman has gained more rights and status which necessarily means these men lost some of theirs.
What status have men lost because women are no longer acquiescing to stay barefoot and pregnant?

It's not pie. Just because I get a piece doesn't mean a man gets less.

Quote:
As a woman I have a hard time feeling too badly for them.
I don't feel bad for them at all. What man has been in a job interview and asked if he were thinking of starting a family? What man has been passed over for a job because relocation would mean leaving a significant other in another city? These are questions I faced early in my career. Thank goodness now questions like that are a violation of employment laws.

Old 09-21-2022, 01:22 PM

7,928 posts, read 3,473,493 times
Short answer:

A. Yes
B. Women love to see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies