Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2022, 04:53 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
This sets a horrible precedent.

The President gets to decide what is and is not a crime, based on feelings, regardless of what the law on the books states.

For example, due to this horrible precedent, John Fetterman could become President and pardon all second-degree murderers because he feels as though they should not be punished, even those second-degree murder is against the law.

Horrible, horrible precedent...
This is not a precedent. A president has wide powers to pardon individuals, he does not need a reason. They are still a convicted criminal. That does not change. It just means one is forgiven for the crime they committed.

Bill Clinton pardoned Marc Rich who was on the run in Europe after being convicted of tax fraud. However his wife was a big donor for the dems so he got pardoned. Trump pardoned Paul Manafort who was convicted of 8 felonies. Who ran Trumps 2016 campaign so he got let out. Both of those situations are way worse than pardoning some pot heads. Pardoning people because they did you favors is wrong in my book.

A president can only pardon federal crimes. So Fetterman could not pardon all 2nd degree murderers. How many 2nd degree murderers are there in the federal pen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2022, 05:27 AM

2,004 posts, read 761,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Data from the U.S. Sentencing Commission show that only 92 people were sentenced for marijuana possession in the federal system in 2017, out of a total of nearly 20,000 drug convictions. People think all these millions are in jail for criminal possession of marijuana - when there aren't. Another ploy to get stupid people to vote for him.
Agreed. I was in federal law enforcement earlier in my career, and it was agency policy not to pursue personal use cases, mainly because AUSA’s won’t prosecute.

Old 10-08-2022, 05:41 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Just trying to get more votes.

Old 10-08-2022, 06:53 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I don't smoke weed myself but simple basic possession for personal use shouldn't be against the law. If you're driving around baked, that's another story.

Biden doesn't realise that Democrat supporters will now be too stoned to vote.

At least the Chinese will be happy, as while their youngsters learn maths and technology, the youth of America are getting stoned, although I guess you need stones to build back better.

As for the drug cartels, they can now concentrate on cocaine, heroin and synthetic opioids such as fentanyl.

As for marijuana, the drug has significantly changed since the 1960's.

Cannabis strength soars over past half century – new study - University of Bath

Old 10-08-2022, 08:07 AM

27,143 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Thanks.

Is that mostly possession in a national park or on federal property? I didn't even know there was a federal possession offense. Or was this designed to charge a dealer who might have 'samples' for their customers.
Quite a few of these are cases that got plead down to a possession charge from things such as possession with intent to sell.

Old 10-08-2022, 08:23 AM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Biden also has Becerra looking into rescheduling cannabis.

Probably going to look for a loophole (like he did with covid shot/OSHA) so that he can do it via EO across all the states.

Old 10-08-2022, 08:25 AM

4,507 posts, read 4,045,228 times
Has america ever had a mass pardon like this before? It's clearly a usurpation of the 3 branches. It's also setting the stage for it happening again.

I'm not saying I'm against it's use in this case. And when it comes to pardons I'll always lean more towards pardoning, especially in a country that gives such crazy life ending and life destroying sentences all the time.

However this is clearly signalling another democrat led break down of the american system and another democrat led consolidating of power in the executive branch. Something that we have seen as been completely clutched from the hands of voters from here forever out in 2020.

Old 10-08-2022, 08:28 AM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Has america ever had a mass pardon like this before? It's clearly a usurpation of the 3 branches. It's also setting the stage for it happening again.
Congress doesn't seem to care.
Until a suit is brought forward the Supreme Court can do nothing.

The checks and balances are gone.

Old 10-08-2022, 09:40 AM

1,203 posts, read 618,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post

I'm not saying I'm against it's use in this case. And when it comes to pardons I'll always lean more towards pardoning, especially in a country that gives such crazy life ending and life destroying sentences all the time.

However this is clearly signalling another democrat led break down of the american system and another democrat led consolidating of power in the executive branch. Something that we have seen as been completely clutched from the hands of voters from here forever out in 2020.
We have had a mass pardon like this before. Vietnam War draft dodgers were pardoned by Carter in 1977. Also, in 1868, Johnson issued a mass pardon to confederate soldiers.
Benjamin Harrison-polygamous Mormons
Harry Truman-ww2 selective service act violations
Kennedy-first time offenders of the Narcotics control act of 1956
Ford Vietnam War draft resisters-conditional pardon versus Carter's unconditional pardon

The president has unlimited pardon powers for federal offenses.

Old 10-08-2022, 01:36 PM

31,050 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
One of the few things Biden has done that has my complete approval.
Let's see Joe locked them up (up to 100,000 mostly black men) under his crime bill, and now he is freeing some
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies