Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2022, 05:48 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
It actually was true and could still be. But at a state level. I was on a greyhound when I was young a long time ago. Ther3 was a young guy in a blue outfit. He asked me for a cigarette. He got caught with a small amount and did a year and a day. Meaning he went to the penitentiary.

For whatever reason his clothes were seized or destroyed. So they let him out in prison blues and gave him $50 or whatever it was. He was from out east and it wasn't enough to cover the bus fare home. So there he was In a greyhound station in prison blues begging for cigarettes and money to get home.

Certain states certainly did have no tolerance policies. He happened to get busted in Arizona.

I would think the fella had Priors.

Somebody always has some horror story about a guy, usually African-American or maybe a DeadHead who gets busted, usually in Dixie or the Sunbelt, for having a bit of grass, always some small amount.

What the guy did not tell you and what you never bothered to investigate was that probably had a criminal record composed of more serious offenses. He could have been on parole or on probation. Or he might have been telling you a tall fish story.

There are tons of these urban legends and people tend to fall for them hook, line, and sinker.

Don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2022, 06:05 PM

3,163 posts, read 2,055,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I would think the fella had Priors.

Somebody always has some horror story about a guy, usually African-American or maybe a DeadHead who gets busted, usually in Dixie or the Sunbelt, for having a bit of grass, always some small amount.

What the guy did not tell you and what you never bothered to investigate was that probably had a criminal record composed of more serious offenses. He could have been on parole or on probation. Or he might have been telling you a tall fish story.

There are tons of these urban legends and people tend to fall for them hook, line, and sinker.

Don't.
Oh please. I went to college in a small town on the east coast and know plenty of people that had to go to jail on state charges for small amounts that had no record. That particular state back then (late 2000s) seemed to delight in taking people to jail over small stuff, they even made driving over 80 miles an hour an arrestable offense, at the discretion of the officer.

Nowadays its certainly more lax, but there are plenty of pockets of the country where you can and will be taken to jail for any amount of marijuana.

I tend to think that with respect to Federal simple possession charges (which this pardon actually applies to), that is relatively rare compared with the frequency of state charges though. Only places you really would potentially get caught by Federal law enforcement would be places like National Parks and Federal roadways like certain parkways. I can't imagine its a huge number of people sitting in Fed prison because of that.

But state prison? Absolutely.

Old 10-06-2022, 06:39 PM

15,848 posts, read 6,551,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
From what I just saw reported it doesn't affect a single person. That's ridiculous. I take back some of my earlier comments. I didn't think he would issue pardons that wouldn't even change things for one single person. What a lunatic.
Does this clear convictions from your priors record? That would still make a big difference in people's lives.

Old 10-06-2022, 06:40 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,047,324 times
Seems like an issue with the checks and balances of the three branches no?

Old 10-06-2022, 06:48 PM

30,169 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
I do not know. I was talking about the possible negative perception of those who are most upset about crime, as it is.
Someone who has one possession conviction 10 years ago or whenever is unlikely to commit crimes just because they got pardoned.

Old 10-06-2022, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
This isn't going to accomplish much. As already noted, simple possession is almost always prosecuted as a state crime, not a federal crime, and Biden's action on this impacts only a very small number of people. Only a few thousand, nationwide.
True. But Biden is hinting at pushing decriminalization.

Old 10-06-2022, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Sadly, very few. Most people have NO CLUE that there's a HUGE difference between federal and state governments and therefore federal and state drug possession convictions.
There are states that are doing the same thing. I am fine with all 50 states pardoning all minor weed possession convictions.

Old 10-06-2022, 07:01 PM

Quote:
So... NO ONE actually gets out of prison.
According to Business Insider about 150.

Biden's pardons will help thousands with past convictions, but few today are in federal prison just for possessing marijuana

• President Joe Biden's pardons for federal marijuana possession will help thousands with past convictions.
  • Today, however, few people — less than 150 — are in federal prison simply for cannabis possession.

Old 10-06-2022, 07:04 PM

43,125 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
According to Business Insider about 150.

Biden's pardons will help thousands with past convictions, but few today are in federal prison just for possessing marijuana

• President Joe Biden's pardons for federal marijuana possession will help thousands with past convictions.
  • Today, however, few people — less than 150 — are in federal prison simply for cannabis possession.
Look further back in this thread for what the WH said

Old 10-06-2022, 07:06 PM

24,642 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Biden is trying to buy votes by turning America into sin city.

And I support it. Do it before you get voted out of office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies