Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2022, 04:10 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,401,207 times

Advertisements

From what I just saw reported it doesn't affect a single person. That's ridiculous. I take back some of my earlier comments. I didn't think he would issue pardons that wouldn't even change things for one single person. What a lunatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2022, 04:11 PM

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
From what I just saw reported it doesn't affect a single person. That's ridiculous. I take back some of my earlier comments. I didn't think he would issue pardons that wouldn't even change things for one single person. What a lunatic.
The majority of people will not know that. They won't go off researching it. They will take the headlines at face value.

Old 10-06-2022, 04:18 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The majority of people will not know that. They won't go off researching it. They will take the headlines at face value.
Indeed true.

If I had a dollar for every time someone sanctimoniously wrote about people getting locked up for smoking a joint, I could retire. Try to correct them and they ignore you and proceed to continue blathering this urban myth.

Old 10-06-2022, 04:19 PM

25,449 posts, read 9,813,207 times
Kudos to him!

Old 10-06-2022, 04:21 PM

15,849 posts, read 6,551,421 times
I'm okay with that. Save the detention cells for worse criminals.

Old 10-06-2022, 04:23 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,264,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
President Joe Biden is taking his first major steps toward decriminalizing marijuana, fulfilling a campaign pledge to erase prior federal possession convictions and beginning the process of loosening federal classification of the drug.

Biden on Thursday will pardon all prior federal offenses of simple marijuana possession, a move that senior administration officials said would affect thousands of Americans.

“Sending people to prison for possessing marijuana has upended too many lives and incarcerated people for conduct that many states no longer prohibit,” Biden said in a statement. “Criminal records for marijuana possession have also imposed needless barriers to employment, housing, and educational opportunities. And while White and Black and brown people use marijuana at similar rates, Black and brown people have been arrested, prosecuted, and convicted at disproportionate rates.”

He will also encourage governors to take similar steps to pardon state simple marijuana possession charges, and will task the Department of Health and Human Services and Attorney General Merrick Garland to “expeditiously” review how marijuana is scheduled under federal law.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/06/polit...den/index.html

Seems like a good idea to me locking someone up for smoking weed is stupid and a waste of taxpayer dollars bigger fish to fry out there.
Just in time for the mid terms.

Old 10-06-2022, 04:24 PM

30,377 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
One of the few things Biden has done that has my complete approval.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 10-06-2022, 04:31 PM

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Kudos to him!
Break out the champagne...Biden is releasing NO ONE from Federal prison

Old 10-06-2022, 04:46 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,401,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Indeed true.

If I had a dollar for every time someone sanctimoniously wrote about people getting locked up for smoking a joint, I could retire. Try to correct them and they ignore you and proceed to continue blathering this urban myth.
It actually was true and could still be. But at a state level. I was on a greyhound when I was young a long time ago. Ther3 was a young guy in a blue outfit. He asked me for a cigarette. He got caught with a small amount and did a year and a day. Meaning he went to the penitentiary.

For whatever reason his clothes were seized or destroyed. So they let him out in prison blues and gave him $50 or whatever it was. He was from out east and it wasn't enough to cover the bus fare home. So there he was In a greyhound station in prison blues begging for cigarettes and money to get home.

Certain states certainly did have no tolerance policies. He happened to get busted in Arizona.

Old 10-06-2022, 04:47 PM

19,784 posts, read 22,680,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
President Joe Biden is taking his first major steps toward decriminalizing marijuana, fulfilling a campaign pledge to erase prior federal possession convictions and beginning the process of loosening federal classification of the drug.

Biden on Thursday will pardon all prior federal offenses of simple marijuana possession, a move that senior administration officials said would affect thousands of Americans.

“Sending people to prison for possessing marijuana has upended too many lives and incarcerated people for conduct that many states no longer prohibit,” Biden said in a statement. “Criminal records for marijuana possession have also imposed needless barriers to employment, housing, and educational opportunities. And while White and Black and brown people use marijuana at similar rates, Black and brown people have been arrested, prosecuted, and convicted at disproportionate rates.”

He will also encourage governors to take similar steps to pardon state simple marijuana possession charges, and will task the Department of Health and Human Services and Attorney General Merrick Garland to “expeditiously” review how marijuana is scheduled under federal law.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/06/polit...den/index.html

Seems like a good idea to me locking someone up for smoking weed is stupid and a waste of taxpayer dollars bigger fish to fry out there.
Agreed. Go after the Fentanyl and Meth pushers with a vengeance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies