Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you better off now than you were 2 years ago?
Better off. 52 25.37%
Worse off. 125 60.98%
About the same. 28 13.66%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2022, 07:12 AM

2,044 posts, read 1,607,336 times

Advertisements

Many in their posts are saying they are worse off due to high inflation. I got a small bag of chips from a convenience store last week that cost $1.69, yesterday it had risen to $2.99(clerk said this was not a mistake). Good grief!
High inflation amongst other things could have big implications for incumbents during next weeks midterm elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2022, 07:27 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star691 View Post
Many in their posts are saying they are worse off due to high inflation. I got a small bag of chips from a convenience store last week that cost $1.69, yesterday it had risen to $2.99(clerk said this was not a mistake). Good grief!
High inflation amongst other things could have big implications for incumbents during next weeks midterm elections.
Every week when I grocery shop most items have increased in price from the week before.

Old 11-04-2022, 02:48 PM

1,354 posts, read 790,484 times
I just stopped buying some of them - too expensive!
Am I better off now?

Old 11-04-2022, 02:56 PM

24,001 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
What can politicians do to remedy inflation that is worldwide? There are always weather related shortages of some crop somewhere on the earth that cause a supply and demand problem. This past summer was bad all over. Expect shortages. With employment in the USA doing so well, people have money to buy. That runs up the price.

Old 11-04-2022, 02:59 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,816,223 times
Very much so. I'm better off than I was 2 years ago. 2 years ago, I was better off than I was 2 years prior.. and so on. I'm not dependent on the government like many here seem to be. I suggest you learn to be independent.

Old 11-04-2022, 03:45 PM

2,044 posts, read 1,607,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
What can politicians do to remedy inflation that is worldwide? There are always weather related shortages of some crop somewhere on the earth that cause a supply and demand problem. This past summer was bad all over. Expect shortages. With employment in the USA doing so well, people have money to buy. That runs up the price.
The current administration was going to fix everything. Many do not have money, after contending with these high prices. Evidently, things have only gotten worse for most people.

Old 11-04-2022, 07:13 PM

16,093 posts, read 10,762,339 times
Quote:
The current administration was going to fix everything.
That reminds me.
Where is that healthcare plan Trump is promising? And his infrastructure plan? And all the little people who were going to benefit from his tax cut for the rich -- they're still waiting. And that wall thing was going to fix the swarms of illegals. And those pipelines Trump was excited about were going to meet the gas and oil needs -- in China. Oh, and then there was that trade war that was going to fix things...somehow.

Old 11-04-2022, 07:24 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,343,092 times
2 years ago I was about to work for a temp agency making $14/hr in Pittsburgh doing some hard labor. Now I'm making almost twice as much with my own apt in the Twin Cities, 12K of my student loan debt paid off since then. Granted it required me having to move further west and the Federal govt didn't have anything to do with it.

Even with inflation and the crazy food prices, I don't go out much; I cook. I don't drive so I don't worry about gas as much as others do here. What is the national GOP offering to make my life better? As a single guy with no kids, what are they offering? At least Creepy Joe and Demwits have offered me a bone with the CHIPs, Infrastructure Acts and Student Loan relief.

Old 11-04-2022, 07:27 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,816,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
2 years ago I was about to work for a temp agency making $14/hr in Pittsburgh doing some hard labor. Now I'm making almost twice as much with my own apt in the Twin Cities, 12K of my student loan debt paid off since then. Granted it required me having to move further west and the Federal govt didn't have anything to do with it.

Even with inflation and the crazy food prices, I don't go out much; I cook. I don't drive so I don't worry about gas as much as others do here. What is the national GOP offering to make my life better? As a single guy with no kids, what are they offering? At least Creepy Joe and Demwits have offered me a bone with the CHIPs, Infrastructure Acts and Student Loan relief.
I bet (and hope) you'll be better off 2, 4, 6 years in the future as well and it has nothing to do with who's in the office. You make your way.

Old 11-04-2022, 07:34 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
I'm worse, but its not bidens fault.

I caught COVID-19, lost my job, cashed out my 401K. Survived on that till my SS kicked in. I was making $18 an hour, was focused on paying off cc debt then the house of cards folded.

Just my bad luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies