Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you better off now than you were 2 years ago?
Better off. 52 25.37%
Worse off. 125 60.98%
About the same. 28 13.66%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 11:05 AM

7,272 posts, read 4,215,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
If I still heated with oil, or gas, but especially oil, I’d be totally screwed this winter.

Some people may freeze to death due to high energy prices, and some will have to choose between food or heat. Europe is screwed... and we are shooting ourselves in the foot due to inept leadership. Thanks Biden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2022, 11:08 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Some people may freeze to death due to high energy prices, and some will have to choose between food or heat. Europe is screwed... and we are shooting ourselves in the foot due to inept leadership. Thanks Biden.
Inept leadership? 80 million people voted for him.

People need to enjoy the cow pie sandwich they voted for.

Old 11-05-2022, 11:14 AM

20,058 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Quote:
Yup. Seniors are especially at risk.
I’ve actually encountered this numerous times even when heating costs weren’t bananas.
The old folk on fixed incomes just can’t adjust for this crap.

Just a quick rundown example:Not too long ago, they found a dead guy, senior, in a house by me(before I moved away), it was just an odd coincidence how they actually discovered him, but anyway, he had been dead at least a year. So after an intensive investigation, they found that he had froze to death one winter. He was found bundled in a blanket sitting in his Archie Bunker chair in front of the TV.

Old 11-05-2022, 11:30 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,815,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Nope.
Since the ******** took office my retirement fund is hemorrhaging.
I’m probably gonna hafta go back to work.
Sucks.
You need to stop being dependent on the government. Your poor investment choices are your fault alone.

Old 11-05-2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
You need to stop being dependent on the government. Your poor investment choices are your fault alone.

Many retirement and pension plans REQUIRED mandatory investment in govt. bonds.

The vast majority of people (something like 70%+) have near zero retirement savings. Crow all you want but less than 15% of people have sufficient retirement savings and many have seen their investments hit by the Biden train wreck. Just wait until gas goes back up and housing goes down in earnest.

Dems promote people being dependent on govt. That is what they do.

Old 11-05-2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Some people may freeze to death due to high energy prices...

I have an 84 year old Vietnam vet friend in NH who is forced to move into someone else's house this winter because he won't be able to afford to heat his house this winter. He is on a fixed income. He heats with wood and oil. He feels terrible about having to rely on others and has done everything right his whole life. This is all on Biden and the Dems.

Old 11-05-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Many retirement and pension plans REQUIRED mandatory investment in govt. bonds.

The vast majority of people (something like 70%+) have near zero retirement savings. Crow all you want but less than 15% of people have sufficient retirement savings and many have seen their investments hit by the Biden train wreck. Just wait until gas goes back up and housing goes down in earnest.

Dems promote people being dependent on govt. That is what they do.
Blaming the government for people not having retirement savings is quote the cop out. Learn how to save. Learn how to invest or hire someone to do it for you. If you're retired already, you shouldn't be in risky investments.

Housing prices will always go up over an 30 year rolling period. Any housing price drop, no matter how severe, will be temporary.

Old 11-05-2022, 12:03 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,794,636 times
Quote:
Blaming the government for people not having retirement savings is quote the cop out. Learn how to save. Learn how to invest or hire someone to do it for you. If you're retired already, you shouldn't be in risky investments.

Housing prices will always go up over an 30 year rolling period. Any housing price drop, no matter how severe, will be temporary.
Bad government policy and straight-up malfeasance sometimes can make safe investments into unsafe ones.

And for as long as the government forcibly takes 12.4% of my total compensation package to fund a ponzi scheme I want no part of, Government will always be to blame, at least to some extent.

And last I checked, it was democrats screaming that I should pay more into the ponzi scheme I want no part of. For the government to be relieved of any blame, FICA needs to become 0% and social security either needs to become optional or abolished.

Old 11-05-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Bad government policy and straight-up malfeasance sometimes can make safe investments into unsafe ones.
If you're investments are down in any decent investment period (say any rolling 30 year period), that's on you. There's been no government policy that's impacted that and not even the great recession wiped out 30 years of investing. The only investments impacted by the government are short term investments and for a retired person, you're investments shouldn't be heavy on those.

Old 11-05-2022, 12:21 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,794,636 times
Quote:
If you're investments are down in any decent investment period (say any rolling 30 year period), that's on you. There's been no government policy that's impacted that and not even the great recession wiped out 30 years of investing. The only investments impacted by the government are short term investments and for a retired person, you're investments shouldn't be heavy on those.
Even if you have a small portion of your portfolio in such investments, you're worse off. That's a fact. Materiality is irrelevant here.

If you had a $5 million portfolio and it went to $4.99M, you are worse off. And especially so if inflation went from 1.X% to 9% in that same period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies