Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you better off now than you were 2 years ago?
Better off. 52 25.37%
Worse off. 125 60.98%
About the same. 28 13.66%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2022, 07:38 PM

73,038 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
2 years ago I was about to work for a temp agency making $14/hr in Pittsburgh doing some hard labor. Now I'm making almost twice as much with my own apt in the Twin Cities, 12K of my student loan debt paid off since then. Granted it required me having to move further west and the Federal govt didn't have anything to do with it.

Even with inflation and the crazy food prices, I don't go out much; I cook. I don't drive so I don't worry about gas as much as others do here. What is the national GOP offering to make my life better? As a single guy with no kids, what are they offering? At least Creepy Joe and Demwits have offered me a bone with the CHIPs, Infrastructure Acts and Student Loan relief.
I'm not a Biden supporter. However, I can empathize with you on this. I moved to another city a few years ago. I have no wife. I have no children. I have a job I like. What I have is my doing.

I don't see the GOP offering me anything either, not as someone who is single with no kids. The way I see it, guys like us get left out. Looking back 2 years ago, I don't think I'm worse off. If I'm better off, Trump or Biden are not the persons for me to thank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2022, 07:39 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star691 View Post
Many in their posts are saying they are worse off due to high inflation. I got a small bag of chips from a convenience store last week that cost $1.69, yesterday it had risen to $2.99(clerk said this was not a mistake). Good grief!
High inflation amongst other things could have big implications for incumbents during next weeks midterm elections.
I shop safeway. Chips are $2.97 but you have to buy 4 bags.
Then i saw soda, $1.97 for an 8 pack, slender bottles, but buy 4. So savings can be there, just not always when we want.

Old 11-04-2022, 07:53 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,343,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I bet (and hope) you'll be better off 2, 4, 6 years in the future as well and it has nothing to do with who's in the office. You make your way.
Hey I admit I gotta get better. I'm not satisfied with blue collar work especially as I get older. Regardless of who's in charge, even if they toss me a bone or 2, it's about what I do at the end of the day.

The people who aren't crying over inflation are probably the ones who make less than 6 figures but are truly the resourceful and independent; aka rural folk.

Old 11-04-2022, 08:03 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,789,933 times
I'm about the same but having said that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Of course better off than two years ago, and not because of money or politics. No amount of money can make up for being stuck at home and not going out to meet people.
This.

Do people really prefer to go back to two years ago when almost everything was locked down by a Pandemic? When a virus was striking people down by the thousands? Not to mention there was no vaccine at the time. From what I remembered there was a lot of fear then. Sure things were cheaper but what good was that when you couldn't even enjoy life.

Last edited by gordo; 11-04-2022 at 08:21 PM..

Old 11-04-2022, 08:05 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,816,223 times
Quote:
Hey I admit I gotta get better. I'm not satisfied with blue collar work especially as I get older. Regardless of who's in charge, even if they toss me a bone or 2, it's about what I do at the end of the day.

The people who aren't crying over inflation are probably the ones who make less than 6 figures but are truly the resourceful and independent; aka rural folk.
I'm not crying over inflation and it's because the economy has done so well since the great recession.

I fully agree with you that the ones complaining are the ones that aren't very resourceful (as you imply).

Old 11-05-2022, 10:43 AM

6,738 posts, read 4,423,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I'm not crying over inflation and it's because the economy has done so well since the great recession.

I fully agree with you that the ones complaining are the ones that aren't very resourceful (as you imply).

Sure gas went up, but it has come down. It has done this many times and will do it in the future. Shop smarter. Giving up a few things, you probably didnt need in the first place probably wouldnt hurt. Im I better off, sure. In the last year, I did get 2 raises I didnt ask for. But in making more, you dont spend more. You save more. Its good working for the city.

Old 11-05-2022, 10:48 AM

20,060 posts, read 20,872,330 times
Nope.
Since the ******** took office my retirement fund is hemorrhaging.
I’m probably gonna hafta go back to work.
Sucks.

Old 11-05-2022, 10:55 AM

7,272 posts, read 4,216,976 times
Comparing better to worse off - over 60% say they are worse off. And winter is coming... Dems have really screwed things up.

Old 11-05-2022, 10:56 AM

20,060 posts, read 20,872,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Comparing better to worse off - over 60% say they are worse off. And winter is coming... Dems have really screwed things up.
If I still heated with oil, or gas, but especially oil, I’d be totally screwed this winter.

Old 11-05-2022, 11:04 AM

73,038 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:

I'm not crying over inflation becomes I don't have a wife or children to take care of. Being a bachelor, I am taking care of one person, ME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies