Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why did the republicans red wave fail?
Trump republicans and their radical views 44 15.44%
Jan 6 failed coup attempt 2 0.70%
Election lies 24 8.42%
abortion rights 49 17.19%
all of the above 166 58.25%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2022, 04:51 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,048,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The country is too divided for any party to get a major win anymore. The future will be bleak in many ways.
Yes, and the abortion issue is a clear example. In my humble opinion, not enough noise was made by conservative candidates across the board. They should have been spending the necessary money on ads that explained & clarified the SCOTUS decision. Here in blue NYS, we were hammered with ads from Hochul's camp about Zeldin being cruel to women's rights. Not only were Zeldin's ads limited in number & frequency, he waited until mail-in ballots were already coming in to clarify that he would not & could not impact the current NYS laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2022, 04:53 AM

1,334 posts, read 3,001,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The country is too divided for any party to get a major win anymore. The future will be bleak in many ways.
I don't disagree but I would like to add that most people in my very unscientific opinion are moderate are most issues and if anything maybe a hair to the center right.

The problem is that both parties are being represented by extremists. No many people want the huge changes that would come with either side having their ways on all issues.

Old 11-09-2022, 04:59 AM

57,405 posts, read 26,390,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
But, honestly have they before? There have been terrible candidates.

Democrats are a cult.. and their numbers are growing.

We are in big trouble.
There surely was better candidates than Oz, Lake and Walker to name a few. Like I said with inflation this high it should have been easy but these were Trumps picks and the republicans went along for the ride. Carter lost just about every state to Reagan when inflation was this high.

Old 11-09-2022, 05:01 AM

7,251 posts, read 4,585,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There surely was better candidates than Oz, Lake and Walker to name a few. Like I said with inflation this high it should have been easy but these were Trumps picks and the republicans went along for the ride. Carter lost just about every state to Reagan when inflation was this high.
That is why I say this is a "cult" issue. They are voting against their best interest due to feelings.

Old 11-09-2022, 05:02 AM

585 posts, read 498,341 times
Quote:
Regardless of who the republican candidate is the Media would make them seem worse than Hitler if Trump backed them.

Old 11-09-2022, 05:07 AM

37,298 posts, read 19,309,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Abortion was the canary in the coal mine which woke people to the dangers of the GOP If left unchecked

A clear majority was in favor of Roe - yet the minority insisted on ignoring them.
And as predicted, the young, and particularly young women voters turned out in force.

The brightest spot is that there will be more of them aging into voting by 2024.

Old 11-09-2022, 05:07 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,269,405 times
Quote:
We live in a different era than those Reagan-Carter times. For one thing, the mainstream media is now just propaganda for the Democrats. The media back in those days were really news and was impartial.

Old 11-09-2022, 05:13 AM

30,292 posts, read 11,940,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yep, the Repubs underperformed but they still are likely to win the House and possibly still the Senate. I love Trump but I think he's become a political liability.

Here in Arizona, Kari Lake almost certainly will end up winning when all the votes are counted and Masters is a maybe but probably not a win there.
Lake does not really matter in regards to national politics. Masters does. Being a resident of Arizona for 20 years I thought that Maricopa county was always the last to be fully counted and it swings blue now. So remaining votes would favor the dems. I but I have not followed the details this time.

Trump is a liability but he is never going to see it that way. So he is going to run in 2024. His favorite thing in politics is campaigning. He can control the narrative and have thousands of people cheering him every day. So I don't see him passing on doing that one more time.

Old 11-09-2022, 05:16 AM

30,551 posts, read 21,457,792 times
Thee was no red wave.

Old 11-09-2022, 05:19 AM

30,292 posts, read 11,940,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Yes, and the abortion issue is a clear example. In my humble opinion, not enough noise was made by conservative candidates across the board. They should have been spending the necessary money on ads that explained & clarified the SCOTUS decision. Here in blue NYS, we were hammered with ads from Hochul's camp about Zeldin being cruel to women's rights. Not only were Zeldin's ads limited in number & frequency, he waited until mail-in ballots were already coming in to clarify that he would not & could not impact the current NYS laws.
The SCOTUS repealed R v W. What explaining? The GOP has tried to spin it as no big deal. But too many GOP in office have stated their desire to ban it nationally or at least make it much harder to get. If you deeply believe abortion is murder then letting half the states continue to perform abortions is not acceptable. And most people are pro life because that is how they feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies