Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 11:14 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,400,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
interesting you feel that people don’t want to change the way they speak. does the same apply to ever-changing pronouns and other dialect rules we must obey?
It's sort of like it was embarrassing when my grandparents used the term negro. They didn't mean any harm by it. However it is a term most people know not to use. If you sim0ly don't care what other people think nobody is stopping anybody to use phrases that sort of paint them in the light of a bigot or old and out of touch. I know you want to paint me into the wokester corner however sometimes people simply use outdated bigoted language because they are from a past time and don't know any better.

Sometimes speech evolves and people don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2022, 11:25 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Is it a fuss about being different?

Or is it a fuss about not having to hide in order to be treated equal?
Not having to hide it?

Um, I don't have a I'M A HETERO flag on my house, HETERO PRIDE bumper sticker on my car, HETERO PRIDE trinket on my key chain, or HETERO PRIDE t-shirt or HETERO PRIDE water bottle.

I don't see stores or doctor offices that have HETERO PRIDE flags or flyers in the window, letting me know I'm "welcome" to shop there or use the services.

I don't see HETERO PRIDE MONTH, where parades and "hetero entertainment" are everywhere

I don't see HETERO PRIDE incorporated into inclusiveness and diversity training programs by HR departments.

I don't see a HETERO PRIDE TV movie channel, in fact, when a movie about a hetero love story is aired, it gets hate mail. Even though no one is forced to watch it. And there are channels specifically dedicated to LGBTQ entertainment content.

I don't see educational content in schools targeting children with HETERO PRIDE acceptance and promotion of HETERO PRIDE. In fact every other type of sex is promoted. Except hetero sex.

Do I need to go on?

Fuss about being different. Laughable.

Here's the thing: You don't get to equal when you chit all over other people. Fun fact.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:36 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,400,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Not having to hide it?

Um, I don't have a I'M A HETERO flag on my house, HETERO PRIDE bumper sticker on my car, HETERO PRIDE trinket on my key chain, or HETERO PRIDE t-shirt or HETERO PRIDE water bottle.

I don't see stores or doctor offices that have HETERO PRIDE flags or flyers in the window, letting me know I'm "welcome" to shop there or use the services.

I don't see HETERO PRIDE MONTH, where parades and "hetero entertainment" are everywhere

I don't see HETERO PRIDE incorporated into inclusiveness and diversity training programs by HR departments.

I don't see a HETERO PRIDE TV movie channel, in fact, when a movie about a hetero love story is aired, it gets hate mail. Even though no one is forced to watch it. And there are channels specifically dedicated to LGBTQ entertainment content.

I don't see educational content in schools targeting children with HETERO PRIDE acceptance and promotion of HETERO PRIDE. In fact every other type of sex is promoted. Except hetero sex.

Do I need to go on?

Here's the thing: You don't get to equal when you chit all over other people. Fun fact.
Here is the thing: You don't get to decide what people do and increasingly people just ignore people like you. I can hang a pride flag if I want to and guess what? You don't need to like it or respect it. You don't have the right to decide what anybody does. This rants always seem to come off as from somebody who thinks they speak for society and decides the rules. You don't. People simply are not forced to care that you are offended.

It is sort of sad when this kind of thread always is very active and yet only three people responded to the happy Veterans Day thread. Maybe you should take more time out and focus on yourselves. Why the need to go online and constantly force your views down other peoples throats?

Old 11-22-2022, 11:48 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Not having to hide it?

Do I need to go on?

You missed a few:

I don't see Hetero Clubs being targeted because of the clientele they serve

I don't see Hetero's being tied up on fences to die because of who they love

I don't see Hetero's being blamed for child exploitation, indoctrination and pedophilia just because of who they love.

What you don't see when you are part of the main segment of a society is how those who aren't part of it get treated or what they have to endure and this applies to race, sexual orientation, national origin or the new one where your from...

Old 11-22-2022, 11:48 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Not having to hide it?

Do I need to go on?

Whyn't ya get right on that and come up with a cool design and start a new trend and come up with a holiday and how to celebrate it? Oh, I know, cuz you really don't care...yet here you are.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:58 AM

2,419 posts, read 2,989,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I can't help but wonder though whether their winning was due to them being the best person for the job OR if it was a sympathy Virtue signaling give yourself a pat on the back for being so brave and Progressive vote that handed them the win....?
This could be said of voting for any ANY minority, couldn't it? As if LGBTQIA+ people, women, blacks, hispanics, etc., could not be the actual best person for the job. Not only are you questioning their qualifications, but you are also questioning the motives of the voters. It could be that people voted for the best people for the jobs. It could be that the reps' push against the LGBTQIA+ community motivated more of that community to engage politically. Good for them.

Old 11-22-2022, 12:00 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,966,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
I don't really care. It just makes the speaker sound antiquated and out of touch with modern societal norms. It's more akin to somebody that would say the blacks instead of black people. It isn't really complicated.
But why is one "bad" and one not "bad?"

Do you have any logic for your reasoning other than "what some people say?"

Old 11-22-2022, 12:04 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Did someone check to see the percentage of left-hand/right-hand legislators? Equally relevant to their competence as legislators, and equally out of their individual control.

"Of course, people can use their left hand as much as they like in the privacy of their homes, but do they have to rub our noses in it? Why should I have to explain that to my child? And why do they get special scissors? I thought they wanted equality? No one makes special scissors for us normal right-handed people, do they?"

Old 11-22-2022, 12:08 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,128,220 times
"10% of California House/Senate members are LGQTB"

That explains it.

Old 11-22-2022, 12:24 PM

7,369 posts, read 3,533,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonMB View Post
I'd say speaking about yourself (as in "Hi I'm Jack and this is my husband, Bob,") is a little different than speaking about a Black person and using the N-word, don't you?

I have never had a hissyfit over Miss Sarah Jones getting married to Joe Smith and then wanting to be called Mrs. Smith, but apparently some here can't handle it if Brad decides to go by Betty. Like.... who cares? Just call people by their preferred names. If your name is Kristina, I'm not going to say "actually, you look more like a Crystal or Craig or Susan," and then insist on calling you that. Maybe one of those is on your birth certificate and you don't like it, I have no idea. Not my business.
but most people dont care if there are 2 husbands or 2 wives, or 2 theys….the problem is bringing all the sex stuff into schools. it’s totally unnecessary. same thing with hetero stuff. the term Pride means many things. you can be cis and hetero and still have a rainbow flag if you are any one of the many fetishes out there. what i am saying is, we don’t need to know about what millimeter sounding rod you are using.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies