Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2022, 10:47 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I will give you that those are not first level formulaic and I rather enjoyed a number of them so they do turn out so really solid product for younger people that is enjoyable for older folks as well. (which is key).

That being said, they're still all relatively predictable to me because I'm getting older and have watched a lot of foreign stuff made where you can kill off key characters etc. and not have to worry about the sequels, marketing department etc. lol.

But hey, that's sorta the price you pay, they gotta make a buck and so artistic expression and alternate story lines outside a certain space are just not going to pop up.
I honestly think the past business decisions of Disney regarding animation did hurt seeing Strange World. Encanto despite how big it was on Disney+ and the merchandise that has sold as well as all the records "We Don't Talk About Bruno" did with TikToks and streams that made "Harlem Shake" look like a drop in the bucket, only made $256.8m on a $100-150m budget with a $40m open. Encanto was also a flop. Now it is not at all a bomb and COVID did play into it but compare that to Strange World's opening weekend, it was a moderate success. As stated, Pixar's Lightyear which was the first Pixar movie to be in theaters since Onward was released pre-COVID. Lightyear only made $226.4m on a $200m budget and a $50m open. Strange World I think was just strange and wasn't Disney's full-tilt marketing campaign, Black Panther was.

I think that the economy is a bigger issue. Disney and Pixar animated movies are more likely to end up on Disney+ within a month and a half to two months while Marvel movies take about three. That said, I had to cancel on my Black Panther viewing and it is unlikely I will be able to see it in theaters. Black Panther was an event movie and many people put off seeing a movie for that, especially given our current economy. Strange World wasn't and had a bad marketing campaign. Turning Red which had similar conservative issues honestly had better marketing. That and people actually did want to see it. I have not heard anyone say "You know I want to see Strange World" and I'm big into Disney and movie communities where I am more likely to hear that.

Sorry but this one is not political.

Old 11-26-2022, 11:19 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,116,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
How old are you?

Nickolodeon pushed boundaries for years before it dumbed down in the 2000s. Ren and Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life...
Pushing 40. I didn’t watch either of those. I’m talking about the game shows and that kind of thing.

Old 11-27-2022, 07:22 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,400,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I honestly think the past business decisions of Disney regarding animation did hurt seeing Strange World. Encanto despite how big it was on Disney+ and the merchandise that has sold as well as all the records "We Don't Talk About Bruno" did with TikToks and streams that made "Harlem Shake" look like a drop in the bucket, only made $256.8m on a $100-150m budget with a $40m open. Encanto was also a flop. Now it is not at all a bomb and COVID did play into it but compare that to Strange World's opening weekend, it was a moderate success. As stated, Pixar's Lightyear which was the first Pixar movie to be in theaters since Onward was released pre-COVID. Lightyear only made $226.4m on a $200m budget and a $50m open. Strange World I think was just strange and wasn't Disney's full-tilt marketing campaign, Black Panther was.

I think that the economy is a bigger issue. Disney and Pixar animated movies are more likely to end up on Disney+ within a month and a half to two months while Marvel movies take about three. That said, I had to cancel on my Black Panther viewing and it is unlikely I will be able to see it in theaters. Black Panther was an event movie and many people put off seeing a movie for that, especially given our current economy. Strange World wasn't and had a bad marketing campaign. Turning Red which had similar conservative issues honestly had better marketing. That and people actually did want to see it. I have not heard anyone say "You know I want to see Strange World" and I'm big into Disney and movie communities where I am more likely to hear that.

Sorry but this one is not political.
I think strange world failed because the movie theme is overtly political and parents are choosing not to take their children to see it. we will see what percentage of movie goers were children when the those numbers are released.

lightyear was a major flop because parents didn't take their children to see it. those numbers were released. under 12yo moviegoers were way down as a percentage of moviegoers from previous disney animated films.

also, strange world didn't flop because of the covid pandemic or streaming cutting into the box office. not 'woke' minions: rise of gru, a universal film, released this year made a billion dollars at the box office with a budget of $80m.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 11-27-2022 at 07:30 AM..

Old 11-27-2022, 07:28 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,954,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
So, kids with two dads or two moms shouldn't ever see their family situation reflected in the shows they watch?
All 114,000 households?

This idea that half of the kids in the US are being raised in gay families is crap. You've all been brainwashed.

There are more kids being raised by their grandmas than by gay couples. Where's the demand of grandma movies?

**crickets**

There is NO mass market for these types of movies. Indie? Yes. Mass market, no.

Old 11-27-2022, 07:38 AM

18,469 posts, read 8,292,857 times
people are just saturated with it all....enough is enough

talk about over playing your hand

taking something that is such a tiny minority....and blowing it up like this

Old 11-27-2022, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post

I'm shocked SHOCKED that all the liberal posters didn't see the movie 15 times to support it.

Apparently none of them went, although they are angry ... that nobody went.

Old 11-27-2022, 07:41 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
All 114,000 households?

This idea that half of the kids in the US are being raised in gay families is crap. You've all been brainwashed.

There are more kids being raised by their grandmas than by gay couples. Where's the demand of grandma movies?

**crickets**

There is NO mass market for these types of movies. Indie? Yes. Mass market, no.
Nobody said half of the kids. You made that up.

And yes there are all kinds of families in our society. We should make all the kids in all the families feel like their families are normal.

There is no mass market for all kinds of movies.

You missed the post that the Disney movie released is in fact second at the box office...behind Black Panther..

Sure earnings are done in general for all movies. But there is nothing to suggest audiences haven't returned to the theaters because Disney included a family that you odn't approve. of.

Old 11-27-2022, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Nobody said half of the kids. You made that up.

And yes there are all kinds of families in our society. We should make all the kids in all the families feel like their families are normal.

There is no mass market for all kinds of movies.

You missed the post that the Disney movie released is in fact second at the box office...behind Black Panther..

Sure earnings are done in general for all movies. But there is nothing to suggest audiences haven't returned to the theaters because Disney included a family that you odn't approve. of.
Where's the movie about kids in foster care? More kids in foster care.

Where's the movie about kids being raised by an aunt? Where's the movie about kids being raised by grandpa?

Why do you only care about LGBTQ families?

There is mass market appeal for most movies. It's why many movies do really, really well. They target the audience that they know will go see the movie.

LGBTQ is NOT a mass market. It's a small segment of the population. The drum you keep banging on shows me that you do NOT understand this. /shrug/ I.

The other gay movie that was mass marketed this year also tanked spectacularly. Why?

Because there is no mass market for a gay movie. That's a fact. That's an objective statement.

Old 11-27-2022, 07:53 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Where's the movie about kids in foster care? More kids in foster care.

Where's the movie about kids being raised by an aunt? Where's the movie about kids being raised by grandpa?

Why do you only care about LGBTQ families?

There is mass market appeal for most movies. It's why many movies do really, really well. They target the audience that they know will go see the movie.

LGBTQ is NOT a mass market. It's a small segment of the population. The drum you keep banging on shows me that you do NOT understand this. /shrug/ I.

The other gay movie that was mass marketed this year also tanked spectacularly. Why?

Because there is no mass market for a gay movie. That's a fact. That's an objective statement.
I care about all families.

Why do you hate LGBTQ families so much.

There are all kinds of movies about orphans and kids who have lost parents. But that's not the issue, the issue is you don't want any LGBTQ reference in any movie anywhere.

Not going to happen.

Annie, Oliver Twist, Little Miss Sunshine, Parenthood,

Old 11-27-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post

taking something that is such a tiny minority....and blowing it up like this
And they still refuse to acknowledge this. Typically LGBTQ movies have done well as indie films, small budget, small distro, and they are received well because they are specifically targeting the right audience.

Mass market? Nope. There is no mass market for gay movies. That's a fact. That's an objective statement.

I know facts are like kryptonite to some people.

How many posters on C-D went to see this movie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies