Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2022, 04:39 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times

Advertisements

For every person who productively works from home there is someone who will try to go shopping or have sex during work hours. For that matter there are people where I work who come to work and browse twitch a portion of their day. The way to stop these people is to make sure they are working, not necessary stop them from working from home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 04:43 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,552,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
LIES LIES (according to everyone on Reddit and many here) Everyone is 200% more effective at home! I swear it is true.
If you go back to the office there is no guarentee that the person will be available at your meeting. They could have gone out for a snack... in the bathroom etc.

If you have a problem with one of your employees, take it up with them.

I refuse to come back full time.

I am a zillion times more productive at home.

Old 11-29-2022, 04:54 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Older generation here. If you can get the work done from home you ought to be allowed to work from home, at least on a 'hybrid' basis. No reason to force someone into the office 5 days a week just because.

Of course, if you aren't getting the job done working remotely, that is another matter entirely.
Nobody is "forced" to come into an office. But if a company decides you must come in 5 days a week, you do that, or find another job.

Old 11-29-2022, 04:55 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,552,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Nobody is "forced" to come into an office. But if a company decides you must come in 5 days a week, you do that, or find another job.
I will do exactly that. Good luck running your business when the best and the brightest don't want to be there.

Old 11-29-2022, 05:54 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
If you go back to the office there is no guarentee that the person will be available at your meeting. They could have gone out for a snack... in the bathroom etc.

If you have a problem with one of your employees, take it up with them.

I refuse to come back full time.

I am a zillion times more productive at home.
Same here.

On our campus we have a Starbucks, and several other little food shops scattered throughout. For those that like that environment, it was like social hour. We had also just changed our work areas over from cubicles to open seating , ala Google. It was horrible, not many liked it. Just so many distractions that eat up the work day. Just getting up to use the bathroom turned into a hour thing, I'd always run into people I had worked with and they'd want to stop and talk.
It's no wonder WFH for the majority of us made us more productive.

Old 11-29-2022, 05:59 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
For every person who productively works from home there is someone who will try to go shopping or have sex during work hours. For that matter there are people where I work who come to work and browse twitch a portion of their day. The way to stop these people is to make sure they are working, not necessary stop them from working from home.
Good points. Note, I don’t even have a problem with people browsing the net at work or taking a lengthy break if teleworking so long as they are being productive where it counts. I’ve browsed the net at work often during working hours, but I’m also one of the most productive people and self starters in my work environment and among my pay grade; recently selected for early promotion too.

As an aside, I will say I’d like to see more hard productivity numbers for working from home vice office work. People self reporting means little to me.

Old 11-29-2022, 06:02 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootDiabetic View Post
And generation boomer refused to keep using outhouses and built bathrooms indoors. Offices are antiquated.
Hahahaha. You’re a many generations off on that one. I’m a Boomer and even my grandparents had indoor plumbing. But I agree on work from home.

I’ve been full time remote since 2009 and the majority of my company (6,500+) is as well. How you’re managed matters both in office and remote. I had one boss back in the day who did nothing but stroll through the office, coffee cup in hand, making sure everyone had their heads down working. He never produced a damn thing himself and couldn’t code his way out of a paper bag. What value did he bring to the table? My current remote boss is engaged with us and knows what we’re doing. He’s there if I need him on an issue with a client.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 11-29-2022 at 06:11 AM..

Old 11-29-2022, 06:14 AM

4,032 posts, read 2,717,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Good points. Note, I don’t even have a problem with people browsing the net at work or taking a lengthy break if teleworking so long as they are being productive where it counts. I’ve browsed the net at work often during working hours, but I’m also one of the most productive people and self starters in my work environment and among my pay grade; recently selected for early promotion too.

As an aside, I will say I’d like to see more hard productivity numbers for working from home vice office work. People self reporting means little to me.

I know that the last year we were working from home, my department reported that we exceeded our expectations (the final number was 115%). So that tells me we were (as a whole) more productive.

Old 11-29-2022, 06:15 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
I know that the last year we were working from home, my department reported that we exceeded our expectations (the final number was 115%). So that tells me we were (as a whole) more productive.
We were told we were doing an amazing job WFH, too. Right before we were all ordered back to the office.

Old 11-29-2022, 06:17 AM

17,207 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I will do exactly that. Good luck running your business when the best and the brightest don't want to be there.
Same.

And quite frankly, how does one even "go to the mall" undetected when they're supposed to be working? You're either on a work computer, on a company server, company VPN, etc., which can all be tracked for activity. If someone is "away" for hours, take it up with them.

I was 60% work from home before the pandemic, and am 100% work from home now. I'll take 2 days at the office MAX if the need arises, although quite frankly, there is simply no need for me to be there -- I can do all of my work from home. And yes, I am MUCH more productive at home. I am always on time. I don't have to go anywhere for lunch. I don't have to take time off when my kids are off school. I am not constantly looking at the clock waiting for 5pm -- I typically end up working past that, as I am already home, and chances are, the oven/stove is already on and cooking dinner.

I have to go to the main office campus maybe once a month or once every two months for a few days, which I am fine with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
For every person who productively works from home there is someone who will try to go shopping or have sex during work hours..

People do this at the office too... Shopping on Amazon all day, sneaking out to have sex in the car/stairwell/etc. If someone is doing this at home, they were doing it in the office too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies