Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2022, 10:24 PM

46,947 posts, read 25,984,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I'm not particularly religious......

So you'll have to expand on how the two are contradictory.
Pretty sure any reasonably informed person would know of both.

Anyway:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus 20.3
Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;
1st Commandment: Believe in Jehovah, or else! ("I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me".)

1st amendment: You're free to worship whom you wish.

Bit of a conundrum for those claiming US law is based in religion.

Old 12-12-2022, 02:40 AM

18,455 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Yes, I know that. People condemn things they don't understand but it doesn't stop people from being who they are. Here we are though in 2022 still harboring thoughts that they are abnormal and teaching our kids that. We would have much less prejudice and violence if people would just accept everyone and teach their kids to do the same.

Just because people think it's abnormal doesn't mean they don't understand it.

It's just something they find to be repulsive on a very base level.

Most hetero men will never see the sight of two men kissing as normal, no matter how much societal norms change towards acceptance of same sex relationships.

Being repulsed by it is almost an involuntary reaction, like someone who can't stand the sight of blood, etc.

You'll never legislate that out of existence.

Old 12-12-2022, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Pretty sure any reasonably informed person would know of both.

Anyway:

1st Commandment: Believe in Jehovah, or else! ("I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me".)

1st amendment: You're free to worship whom you wish.

Bit of a conundrum for those claiming US law is based in religion.

I'm familiar with both.

But all Gods say pretty much the same thing, do they not?

The 1st amendment doesn't tell you which one iof them to listen to.....

So, laws just use religious concepts in general as the blueprint for society. Not necessarily Christian, because many religions have similar rules to live by.

Old 12-12-2022, 07:30 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
it's been 26 hours now. When are they waking Biden up to sign it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
You sound excited to get 'er done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
nahh, we were just promised this was critically-important and time-sensitive, and he'd sign it ASAP they passed it. Remember what he said on the campaign trail about codifying Roe?

I'm assuming it's dinner time and then off to bed now, on a Friday in DC for the Big Guy. Maybe tomorrow.
They've found time tomorrow to rush his signature as promised. Well, I don't know if they've actually set a time, but the latest claims are that he'll put his signature on it tomorrow. Moving at the speed of government

Old 12-12-2022, 07:34 AM

88 posts, read 66,582 times
Who cares? Live and let live. I am middle of the road mainly when it comes to politics, but generally align with the values/beliefs held by those on the right. However, I also believe people should be able to decide what's best for them whether it's abortion, vaccines, who they choose for a partner, etc. without others telling them what they should or shouldn't do. Same sex marriages don't affect me and they don't affect you so why make a big deal over something that has no impact on you other than not aligning with your beliefs?

Old 12-12-2022, 07:42 AM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
Quote:
Why do you think it's based on hate?

(Personally I think the word is tremendously overused, and this only makes it lose it's meaning)

If people are hard wired to have aversion to it on an instinctual level....how does that constitute "hate"?
Fair enough. It just seems that some people are very passionately anti-gay, transcending mere aversion. Admittedly, that conclusion is based on nothing but conjecture on my part.

Old 12-12-2022, 07:56 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Fair enough. It just seems that some people are very passionately anti-gay, transcending mere aversion. Admittedly, that conclusion is based on nothing but conjecture on my part.
read your own post again, and ponder how you arrived at the conclusion.

However, there are indeed some passionate proclaimed evangelical people who believe homosexuality is a sin that they are called by their faith to intervene in. They're not that hard to find, but they're a very small % of people. There's an even smaller subset of them that believe a physical "intervention", be that conversion therapy or some other non-violent action. I haven't seen calls for jailing, assaulting, etc. But I don't go down most rabbit-holes of extremism.

Old 12-12-2022, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGuyInWisconsin View Post
Who cares? Live and let live. I am middle of the road mainly when it comes to politics, but generally align with the values/beliefs held by those on the right. However, I also believe people should be able to decide what's best for them whether it's abortion, vaccines, who they choose for a partner, etc. without others telling them what they should or shouldn't do. Same sex marriages don't affect me and they don't affect you so why make a big deal over something that has no impact on you other than not aligning with your beliefs?

Exactly.

BUT.........too many people seem to forget that live and let live is a two way street.

Old 12-12-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post

I can agree with that.

But I think a lot of it has to do with increased public pressure towards acceptance of something that their very guts tell them is not normal.

"Any action will have an equal and opposite reaction".

Old 12-12-2022, 11:20 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,261,099 times
Quote:
Exactly.

BUT.........too many people seem to forget that live and let live is a two way street.
Yeah, and you can feel free to not get gay married, be trans, or get abortions. Go right ahead.

Everyone always lets the social conservatives live, and have their freedom of their religious beliefs and to live their life the way they choose. But the social conservatives don't want to let other people do the same.

At some point in our country's history, 'freedom of religion' went from its original meaning, to the opposite.

'Freedom of religion' is supposed to mean that you get to be religious in this country, if that's your prerogative. Whatever religion, or interpretation you want, and you can live your life the way you want, and the government will not interfere with your worship, and there will never be any state-sanctioned religion.

It doesn't mean that you get to tell other people (many of whom are not religious, or have different beliefs), that they can't get married, or they can't get an abortion, because of your own religious beliefs. Even in the so-called red states (which are only 'red' because a slight majority might vote Republican). That's still a whole lot of people, who don't think like you. So leave them alone to live their lives in peace and dignity and respect, if that's what you expect for yours. Not a difficult concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies