Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2022, 04:19 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,147,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Like SSM, their legality was based on a SCOTUS decision (Loving v. Virginia) not legislation. Now both have the foundation of legislation.

Lots are unconvinced of the existence of your sky friend.
Well again thats their problem and I guess we will all figure it out in the end.

Old 12-11-2022, 04:26 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
That's an opinion piece by Dan Flynn, Victorian Director, Australian Christian Lobby.

He's entitled to his opinion. And while there are going to be some people who regret growing up in a gay household, that doesn't translate to everyone's experience. But Dan there has a bit of skin in that particular game, given that at the time some Christian lobbyists would have been all in against the gay marriage movement in Australia.

People have grudges against all types of households they grow up in. As humans are wont to do, they perceive the grass is always greener.
Lots of folks resent their upbringing in a heterosexual household.

Less about the sexual preferences of the parents and mroe about the character. And yes -- gay people just like straight people can sometimes not be the best people.

Old 12-11-2022, 04:32 PM

7,368 posts, read 3,829,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
She wasn't adopted, her father chose not to be in her life. He abandoned her and her mothers wife stepped up to help do his job.
Maybe she should advocate for making dead beat dads be involved in their childrens lives.
I was responding to the general case, which was given in response to my earlier comment.

I wasn't speaking of that woman's particular case.

Old 12-11-2022, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Explain if to me like I was the child. Why would you intentionally keep me away from people who wanted to take me in, love me, and be my family?
A circus side show could claim they wanted to take in a child, love it, and be its family. Is that cool with you?

Old 12-11-2022, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
That's an opinion piece by Dan Flynn, Victorian Director, Australian Christian Lobby.

He's entitled to his opinion. And while there are going to be some people who regret growing up in a gay household, that doesn't translate to everyone's experience. But Dan there has a bit of skin in that particular game, given that at the time some Christian lobbyists would have been all in against the gay marriage movement in Australia.

People have grudges against all types of households they grow up in. As humans are wont to do, they perceive the grass is always greener.
If there is no father in the household, how does a child see an example of a good father; if there is no mother in the household, how does a child see an example of a good mother?

Old 12-11-2022, 04:39 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
If there is no father in the household, how does a child see an example of a good father; if there is no mother in the household, how does a child see an example of a good mother?
Even when there are fathers and mothers in a family, children don't always get to see a good example of being a mother or father.

Many single parents have networks where their children get to see how a man or a woman can be a good parent, guardian, mentor.

Of course those of us with great families believe that a nuclear family is the best way to raise a child. For us it worked and works.

But many kids in families with a Mom and Dad may not have that same feeling.

Old 12-11-2022, 04:43 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Quote:
Friends, friends parents, aunts/uncles, grandparents, teachers, coaches. Kids are not isolated.

Old 12-11-2022, 04:56 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Quote:
Well I'll tell you - as the child of a single mother, we had family and friends, teachers and mentors, books and tv, all sorts of reference points.

We didn't live in a bubble.

No one's life is 100% ideal.

Everyone has to work with what they got dealt.

Old 12-11-2022, 05:06 PM

46,968 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Much of our laws are based on religious dogma

Thou shalt not kill...

Thou shalt not steal....

Thou shalt not commit adultery....etc.

Now these have also become secular laws/values, but it's curious how people want to cherry pick the parts that they like or don't like based on their personal beliefs.
First amendment. First commandment. Pick.

Old 12-11-2022, 07:43 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
I was responding to the general case, which was given in response to my earlier comment.

I wasn't speaking of that woman's particular case.
What general case? That some people have absentee fathers or mothers? Yeah, that happens regardless of their sexual orientation and is not a reason to deny same sex couples the same rights as heterosexual couples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies