Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 11:37 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Yeah, and you can feel free to not get gay married, be trans, or get abortions. Go right ahead.

Everyone always lets the social conservatives live, and have their freedom of their religious beliefs and to live their life the way they choose. But the social conservatives don't want to let other people do the same.

At some point in our country's history, 'freedom of religion' went from its original meaning, to the opposite.

'Freedom of religion' is supposed to mean that you get to be religious in this country, if that's your prerogative. Whatever religion, or interpretation you want, and you can live your life the way you want, and the government will not interfere with your worship, and there will never be any state-sanctioned religion.

It doesn't mean that you get to tell other people (many of whom are not religious, or have different beliefs), that they can't get married, or they can't get an abortion, because of your own religious beliefs. Even in the so-called red states (which are only 'red' because a slight majority might vote Republican). That's still a whole lot of people, who don't think like you. So leave them alone to live their lives in peace and dignity and respect, if that's what you expect for yours. Not a difficult concept.

For the record, and probably the hundredth time I've stated this on this forum:

I'm not particularly religious.

I personally don't have anything against same sex marriage..I couldn't care less who marries who.

I would prefer government to be completely out of the marriage business.

But I also get sick of having the LGBTQXYZ agenda shoved down my throat and my kids throat every time I turn around.

Pretty much the same thing about abortion, up to the second trimester anyways.

That's my side of live and let live.

Your side is to quit trying to convince my kids that there are 57 genders, quit bringing in drag queens into kindergartens and quit telling kids that they don't need their parents permission to have an abortion or take puberty blockers.

Deal?

Old 12-12-2022, 12:00 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
it's also possible to be 100% in favor of civil unions, since "all" adults should have the same rights and privileges bestowed upon them, and believe it shouldn't be about the religious ceremony of marriage.
Marriage is only religious if you make it so.

And if a faith accepts same-sex marriage, why should anyone else say that view is invalid?