Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2022, 12:44 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,004,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Now you're arguing just for the sake of argument.

Same sex relationships as referred to in Greek history are an outlier compared to the rest of human history around the globe.

MOST cultures throughout history considered it taboo.
Here's the thing, it doesn't matter. You can't decide what's right or wrong based on how frequently it occurred in the most recent slice of our evolution as humans. Or whether something was taboo during that period. And you cannot decide it with very old books written by very old humans pretending to speak for God.

Old 12-11-2022, 12:53 PM

37,200 posts, read 19,225,735 times
[quote=FatBob96;64579454]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
What makes you think the Greeks were a “sliver?” Rome was also a hotbed of activity. Alexander the Great was Macedonian. Native Americans practiced gay marriage for millennia between “two-spirit” people, who were revered.

Religion is what suppressed what was always considered normal and natural. We should ban religion rather than homosexuality. That would eliminate the need for any more laws.[/QUOTE

Now you're arguing just for the sake of argument.

Same sex relationships as referred to in Greek history are an outlier compared to the rest of human history around the globe.

MOST cultures throughout history considered it taboo.
Give us some examples, please. All of the opposition I see to gay marriage and homosexuality is either based in religion or fear born of ignorance. I would love to read about a civilization that opposed it on any other grounds.

Old 12-11-2022, 12:57 PM

7,368 posts, read 3,829,330 times
Quote:
Heather Barwick, a former gay-marriage advocate turned children's rights activist, was raised by two women.
The void that having two carers of the same sex was unable to fill led her to believe that,"the best and most successful family structure is one in which kids are being raised by both their mother and father.

"My father's absence created a huge hole in me, and I ached every day for a dad. I loved my mum's partner, but another mum could never have replaced the father I lost."
One published letter from six Americans raised by homosexual parents thanked the designer for speaking out and pleaded with him to "support the idea that all children need to be bonded with their mothers and fathers" as it is "a human right". We cannot let the best interests of the child be overlooked and overshadowed by the voices of adults, no matter how heart-felt, in favour of same-sex adoption.
https://www.smh.com.au/opinion/child...17-1mn8ue.html

----------

Yeah, there's no difference.

Old 12-11-2022, 01:01 PM

747 posts, read 443,306 times
I'm confused. Wasn't this settled back in 2008? I seem to remember voting on it then.

Anyway, good. It should never have been an issue in the first place.

Old 12-11-2022, 01:03 PM

37,200 posts, read 19,225,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
https://www.smh.com.au/opinion/child...17-1mn8ue.html

----------

Yeah, there's no difference.
What do you do with one-parent children? Should a surrogate be appointed at government expense to "fill the void", or should a single parent be required by law to remarry?

As I recall, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama were both raised by single mothers. They seem to have turned out okay without a father figure to "fill the void."

Old 12-11-2022, 01:06 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,191,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasrollingstone View Post
Because white christian nationalists are trying to shove their religious extremism down our throats!
Clarence Thomas is relieved by the law -- at least by half of it!

Old 12-11-2022, 01:07 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,341,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Democrats were worried that the supreme court might reverse these. So this makes it so they can't.
Also a Democrat middle finger to Christians.
Inflation is out of control, gas prices are still thru the roof, homeless rate is rising daily, crime is spiking everywhere and we have a national security and humanitarian crisis at out southern border. Its great that the Democrat-led Congress can take the time to address something that only effects about 5% of the population though. What a complete disgrace.No wonder they lost so many seats in the House and would have lost the Senate if not for election tampering.

Old 12-11-2022, 01:07 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,191,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
It upsets their 'Norman Rockwell view'/what they see with their rose colored glasses on.
Wrong! It is closer to 'Leave it to Beaver'!

Old 12-11-2022, 01:36 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
[quote=cuebald;64579629]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post

Give us some examples, please. All of the opposition I see to gay marriage and homosexuality is either based in religion or fear born of ignorance. I would love to read about a civilization that opposed it on any other grounds.

Most civilizations throughout history are based on religion.

It becomes engrained in their culture....like Islam

Their still throwing gays off of buildings as part of their "culture".

Old 12-11-2022, 02:20 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
Here's the thing, it doesn't matter. You can't decide what's right or wrong based on how frequently it occurred in the most recent slice of our evolution as humans. Or whether something was taboo during that period. And you cannot decide it with very old books written by very old humans pretending to speak for God.

Sure you can.

People do it all the time.

Much of our laws are based on religious dogma

Thou shalt not kill...

Thou shalt not steal....

Thou shalt not commit adultery....etc.

Now these have also become secular laws/values, but it's curious how people want to cherry pick the parts that they like or don't like based on their personal beliefs.

Personally I couldn't care less who people marry.

But I think that the anger against states potentially making laws against gay marriage is misplaced.

Government should have no say at all in marriage.....gay, straight or otherwise. But then again, I do believe in the concept of State's rights....so I'm admittedly a little conflicted on that part.

But the federal government forcing states to allow it is just reinforcing giving the government power to regulate something it's shouldn't have any business in.

You just agree it in this case because you agree with the way their trying to regulate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies