Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 12:12 PM

1,073 posts, read 625,163 times

Advertisements

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/most-...150000193.html

"Mike Rowe warned Monday that the labor force participation rate is the most "chilling" economic metric, citing millions of "able-bodied men" who are not working or looking for jobs."

I honestly don't understand this. The argument down political lines usually goes something like this:

Red: They are getting money from the government. Covid relief is still ongoing, and people would prefer that over working. Its crippling the country.
Blue: Corporations are not paying people what they are entitled to and thus people aren't working for these deplorable places anymore.

The comments under the article are pretty much all over the place, with many loons. Reminding of a forum I know and love :-)

So which is true? maybe a mixture of both? I just have a hard time believing that people won't work and think they can make more from the government. Which I haven't seen. My brother can't work (medical). He gets $800 a month. Even in good times it doesn't let him live all too comfortably at all. Nor should he. He has a 1 bedroom apt in the a "low rent" help area. Has to work with community support often to get meals on wheels, recycled clothing, etc.

I don't know any able bodied/minded males that won't work. I'm sure they are out there though.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2022, 12:13 PM

17,370 posts, read 12,330,258 times
What covid relief is still ongoing that someone can live off of?

I did see another related article that attributed a lot of it to more men being stay at home dads while mom is the sole breadwinner. As they figured out after childcare costs(which escalated dramatically with covid) that was more cost effective and more beneficial to their children and family life.

Old 12-06-2022, 12:14 PM

7,481 posts, read 3,611,687 times
have you heard of the antiwork movement. that’s what it is. talk to anyone who has hired someone born after 1997. not to generalize, but many are obese, entitled, lazy, and are not on a path to secure their future well-being. wealthy boomer grandparents (who they trash) and comfortable genx parents enable them to live rent free and responsibility free.

Old 12-06-2022, 12:20 PM

29,632 posts, read 14,763,799 times
OnlyFans ? Youtube ? TikTok ?

Old 12-06-2022, 12:21 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,106,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom;64555404[B
Red[/b]: They are getting money from the government. Covid relief is still ongoing, and people would prefer that over working. Its crippling the country.
Fantasy land. There is no COVID relief ongoing.

Old 12-06-2022, 12:21 PM

1,073 posts, read 625,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
What covid relief is still ongoing that someone can live off of?

I did see another related article that attributed a lot of it to more men being stay at home dads while mom is the sole breadwinner. As they figured out after childcare costs(which escalated dramatically with covid) that was more cost effective and more beneficial to their children and family life.
That's a good point about the childcare cost.

I don't get the "covid relief" argument either. I've never seen anyone get money from the government that has become rich. I'm sure there are some swindlers out there but for the most part I think they end up living like my brother.

Old 12-06-2022, 12:24 PM

4,582 posts, read 2,300,234 times
I want to know how regular people - not internet stars, Tik Tok stars, trust fund kids, etc, are able to live without working? How exactly does that work and where can I sign up?

Old 12-06-2022, 12:24 PM

73,143 posts, read 62,811,767 times
Well, more for me then

Old 12-06-2022, 12:26 PM

5,112 posts, read 1,685,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
I want to know how regular people - not internet stars, Tik Tok stars, trust fund kids, etc, are able to live without working? How exactly does that work and where can I sign up?

Don't people in the Tenderloin in SF get free drugs without working?

Old 12-06-2022, 12:28 PM

4,258 posts, read 2,485,426 times
Men are simply not motivated to work. The reasons for this are complex, but to put it simply, they don't feel that the rewards are worth it anymore. I mean, who can blame them? Men today have no community, no access to productive activities, no opportunities for love and affection, no mentors, and no 'initiation rites.' So what are they doing instead? They are becoming neets, spending 12 hours a day in front of a screen.

Last edited by Taggerung; 12-06-2022 at 12:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies