Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2008, 11:09 AM

208 posts, read 412,241 times

Advertisements

Wow - I'm amazed by the response since I started this thread.

So the vast majority of people have taught me this ...

1) To teach white kids about white European history, art, achievements and language -- IS RACIST!

2) White kids must NOT be taught about inventions created by whites but must ONLY be taught about third world culture.

3) Modern day inventions created by whites are only from the NAZI's.

4) I must save the whales, worry about a black kid getting a college education but must NOT worry about the well-being and future of white people.

5) I must be ashamed of my whiteness.

This is what I've learned here on this thread.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:16 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,954,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palpatein View Post

1) To teach white kids about white European history, art, achievements and language -- IS RACIST!

2) White kids must NOT be taught about inventions created by whites but must ONLY be taught about third world culture.

4) I must save the whales, worry about a black kid getting a college education but must NOT worry about the well-being and future of white people.

Then you probably need to work on your reading comprehension.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:20 AM

408 posts, read 696,158 times
You don't read very well. I said nothing about the Nazis being the only Europeans to makes discoveries, but I won't stand for you going on and on about how whites have their hand in everything good that was ever produced without hurting others. Its just convenient that you would leave that part out. I don't believe anyone wrote about not teaching kids about white achievements, its just that we don't exclude everyone else who is a non-white.

The problem with the OP is that you are pretty much saying (and throughout this thread) that you only want the achievements of whites to be taught and put up on a pedestal, which is not going to happen. This country is not a white country. It was not founded for whites. There are many many generations of people of all walks of like that have been here, some maybe even before you own family established roots. If you want to shelter your children from the real world (which involves more than just other white kids) than go right on ahead. See how far they get in a culturally and ethnically diverse world.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:27 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,095,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palpatein View Post
To Puddy4LyF,

I see you live in Ohio.

Not nearly as diverse as my area.

White kids are a minority here where I live.

Where have I lived? Southern Texas, NoCal, and Tampa, Florida... I've also traveled a great deal. Please actually refer to my post and thoughts as opposed to this. You're not listening to anything anyone says.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:33 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,801 times
So what you're saying is, your going to sit here and just bait people all day and misread, misconstrue and misinterpret everything others say, am I correct?

God, you sound like a kid. Hopefully, you'll get to find your minority free paradise one day so we don't have to hear your whining and complaining ad nauseum. I'll even buy some Prussian Blue albums so your precious white kids can have some music to listen to.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:43 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
With all due consideration to all of us who find "The Senator" a little 'out there', and his world view a dark and pessimistic one, (and, as THe Senator would no doubt label me, 'a white guy who's breeding himself into extinction'),as an inveterate 'arguer', I just have to step in.

Given the 'crusty' take expressed, and the very thoughtful, well-written rebuttals so many of you have made, let's give "The Senator" his due. Giving him every benefit of the doubt, let's assume for a moment he's not hateful, that he only chooses to focus on one particular angle of the issue. Maybe he IS a bit paranoid....fair enough?

I WILL say that I am very close to a number of non-whites (about as close as it's possible to be), who have, astonishingly, expressed a FEW of the very ideas Senator Palpatein himself has expressed...not because these folks "hate themselves", but for the incontrovertible fact that to some degree, he has a point.

To promote, celebrate, and rejoice in the many diverse cultures of the world is wonderful..it's enriching, it's 'the right thing to do', and I would say it's well-nigh a requirement of ANYONE who wants to think of himself/herself as a 'well-rounded individual".

To acomplish this, however, by negating, 'squelching', or simply failing to discuss OTHER cultures (in this case, European), is simply being dishonest, and insulting to ALL parties. In his own mind, I think this is what the Senator detects. And though I don't share his dark, overall 'take', he does have some basis for his beliefs. I've come across some textbooks used in public schools..I've overseen a few 'research asignments" brough home by the kiddies....and I've seen some of the emphasis given things, and the near total 'downplay' given to others...and it's there, and to some degree, it's a 'nice gesture', but it's ultimately dishonest.

To the extent that Senator Palpatein has a negative view of the situation, and seems to find a 'hidden agenda' in the most innocuous things, then I'll argue with him. I'm sure he would have many objections to me, to my family, and my way of life, should we ever meet. But in the interest of intellectual honesty, I have to say the Senator does have a point. Promote other cultures if you will, praise them, celebrate their features.....but please, don't do so by means of ignoring HIS culture. To the extent you do THAT, you're being dishonest, and he has a right to object. And it HAS happened, and I've seen it myself. And I've discussed this with non-whites, and they agree. Honesty and truth have nothing to do with race.

BTW, one major problem as I see it is not "racism", not looking down on different groups, etc., so much as it is our near-total abandonment in recent decades of anything remotely approaching the ability to 'judge'. I know it makes us 'feel good' and I know it sounds 'inclusive'...but when "all cultures" and "all worldviews" and "all philosophies" are looked at as 'equal'...or 'equivalent'....or even (shudder) with the old 60's mantra "It's All Good", we do ourselves a tremendous disservice. All societies are NOT equal, and that is pretty well beyond argument. And if we feel we must insist that they ARE all equally good, equally fair, and equally benevolent, then I'm afraid that's NOT a very good argument in favor of multiculturalism, because it's simply not true. Many people recognize this....but a disturbing number apparently do not.

PS Sorry folks, but there's just one more point I HAVE to make, and it drives me 'nuts'...and that's the oft-heard refrain that 'Poverty Causes Crime". Baloney. Low character and bad upbringing cause crime.
Poverty causes want...it causes struggle...it forces accomodation...but it does NOT cause crime. Criminality and lack of self-control cause crime.There are LOTS of honest poor people, and some really "crooked" rich people...WAY too many of each, for anyone to take this seriously.

Last edited by macmeal; 06-11-2008 at 11:52 AM..

Old 06-11-2008, 11:46 AM

208 posts, read 412,241 times
No - there's over 10 pages here that make it crystal clear that if I had white kids ... and raised them to celebrate their culture is sinful.

According to posters here, I'm not supposed to talk about Italy and it's accomplishments nor the accomplishments of Italian Americans to them because that could be considered racist.

Instead I'm supposed to spend my time feeding them stories about some third world tribal dance.

Sounds like a lot of "hate whitey" and "white guilt" here on this thread.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:48 AM

408 posts, read 696,158 times
Oh geez, get over yourself.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:50 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,801 times
Like I said, misinterpreting and misconstruing people's words because they're not telling you exactly what you want to hear and trying to portray yourself as a victim because people aren't necessarily agreeing with you isn't going to win you any points. Really, Man up!

I think its fine to celebrate and embrace your culture. However, when you talk about how 'superior' your culture is and how everyone else isn't worth anything to you, then yes, people are going to have a problem with that. Really, this is a white man's world and the rest of us just live in it, so really, what do you have to complain about?

Old 06-11-2008, 11:53 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,933 times
Quote:

Yeah, and you only have white European culture to blame for spawning the ideology of multiculturalism that you so disdain. Where indeed do the ideas of multiculturalism, moral and cultural relativism come from if not from Europe? The root philosophy is called postmodernism Postmodern philosophy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

White Europeans sowed the seeds of their own demise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies