Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your weapon of choice for defending your family/assets?
9mm Handgun 19 12.93%
.45 Handgun 23 15.65%
Assault Rifle 11 7.48%
Rifle 3 2.04%
Battle Axe 0 0%
Hatchet 0 0%
Butcher Knife 2 1.36%
Combat Knife 0 0%
Sledge Hammer 0 0%
Baseball Bat 6 4.08%
Nail Bat 2 1.36%
Club 0 0%
Taser 1 0.68%
Carpenters Knife 0 0%
Nunchucks 3 2.04%
Shovel 0 0%
Rake 2 1.36%
Katana 1 0.68%
Chain Saw 0 0%
Golf Club 0 0%
Brass Knuckles 0 0%
Baton 0 0%
Flame Thrower 2 1.36%
Household Chemicals 3 2.04%
Tranquilizer Gun 0 0%
Fork 3 2.04%
Butter Knife 5 3.40%
Grenade 2 1.36%
I have my own security service. 12 8.16%
I wouldn't resort to violence to protect my family. 7 4.76%
Shotgun 40 27.21%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 05:54 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,417,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
UA student shoots 2 who broke into his home

TUCSON- — A University of Arizona student fatally shot two men who forced their way into his off-campus home early Thursday, Tucson police said.

The 23-year-old student was in the small backyard guest house where he lived several blocks north of the university about 12:30 a.m. when two men in their 20s came to the door and forced their way in, police spokesman Sgt. Fabian Pacheco said. The student armed himself with a handgun and shot them both, then called police.The men were dead when police arrived.

UA student shoots 2 who broke into his home
Good thing the BG's didn't have a couple Bud light bottles!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 05:01 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Tin Knocker.

If someone walks by you and they have their hands in their coat pockets, do you automatically assume they have a gun? Or does that never happen to you because you go from place to place in your CAR? And never pass anyone in the street?

Haven't you said that YOU couldn't tell if someone had a gun or not until they DISPLAYED it? Well, once they do, isn't it a little late for you to pull out yours? How many times do you suppose they'll shoot you while you reach for your gun?

Old 10-17-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Tin Knocker.

If someone walks by you and they have their hands in their coat pockets, do you automatically assume they have a gun? Or does that never happen to you because you go from place to place in your CAR? And never pass anyone in the street?
I pass people all the time & dont really care who has & who hasnt got a gun.

Quote:
Haven't you said that YOU couldn't tell if someone had a gun or not until they DISPLAYED it? Well, once they do, isn't it a little late for you to pull out yours? How many times do you suppose they'll shoot you while you reach for your gun?
You watch too much TV & seem to have very limited real life experiences.
The fact is that an armed criminal is banking on you not being armed. If theyre pointing it at me it might be too late, but it probably isn't. A person can feign going for their wallet & come out with a weapon. That person likely has practiced & can hit what he's shooting at.
A criminal, like an untrained street fighter, banks on you panicking or just giving up.
I also have the option of cooperating. The important part is I have options.

On the other hand what would/could you do? Deflect a bullet with your spider powers & wonder woman bracelets?

Old 10-17-2008, 02:25 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
The same thing YOU could do. Get shot.

They don't care if you "cooperate". Get real. But...if they make the mistake of getting close to me, I can DISARM them. But it's more likely that they'll shoot first and rob me later...not that I have anything to "rob". I don't carry money or plastic.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:42 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,336,888 times
I have my own security service. It's me, myself, and I. If all three of them get whooped at least the dudes who whooped them will be limping.

There isn't anything in my place worth bodily harm or death, so I have nothing to lose. :-)

Old 10-17-2008, 11:54 PM

59 posts, read 91,792 times
We should all be good subjects of the U.S.S.A. (Democrats(communists) dream country) and let those poor little thugs, that are miss understood and abused by us horrible law abiders, have their way with our wives, children and property. That is why I have no weapons. The FBI is monitoring all internet blogs now for domestic terrorists like your selves!

Old 10-18-2008, 06:00 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,172,108 times
I live in what is considered a safe neighborhood. Not much violent crime in my immediate area.
That doesn't mean it can't happen.
I believe in being prepared. I like to sit out on my porch on warm nights. I have my pistol by my side.
If I'm inside and the doors aren't locked yet, I have the pistol within reach.
I rely on my Lab/Rottweiler mixed dog to alert me to anyone being around before they ever get to the door. And she will.
I am not paranoid. I am ready just in case.
I have no intention or desire to ever point a gun at a human and I won't unless I must. If that time ever comes the next thing that happens after the pointing will be pulling the trigger. I hope that never happens and chances are it never will. It wouldn't bring me any satisfaction. It would have to be a me or them scenerio. I won't hesitate to use deadly force to protect myself. Ohio has a Castle law that allows me to protect myself in my dwelling, car, garage, or on my porch.
I have 8 guns in the house. Most of them handed down from my Dad, an Uncle, and a couple I bought after I got out of the Army years ago. I don't go out and buy to build an arsenal. Haven't bought a gun in years. I have just kind of aquired them through the years, most of them just to keep in the family after others passed on.
Five of them are locked up and not loaded.
Two pistols and one shotgun are loaded and ready to discourage or stop any intruder intent on doing harm.
Besides, the way the economy is, when border line criminals start losing jobs becuase of layoffs, etc, every law abiding citizen should be prepared to protect themselves from desperate people who might resort to violence to get money or valuables.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The same thing YOU could do. Get shot.

They don't care if you "cooperate". Get real. But...if they make the mistake of getting close to me, I can DISARM them. But it's more likely that they'll shoot first and rob me later...not that I have anything to "rob". I don't carry money or plastic.
Thing is its a fact that when faced with armed resistance most criminals run. You think you can disarm them, you might, but its more likely you will snivel & cower. Its also unlikely they will shoot first. You watch too much TV.

Heres a more realistic ending if a person keeps his/her cool, is practiced with their weapon & willing to use it. Not that I recomend shooting to injure or anything. I just think its a fair representation of the surprise most criminals show when they find the tables turned.

YouTube - Captain Kirk "Shatner" on gun control!

Old 10-19-2008, 06:16 PM

558 posts, read 1,836,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusz View Post
If someone broke into your house and it threatened the life of your family, what would your weapon of choice be?
My 12 gauge shotgun with buckshot . Just the shucking alone should sent them off running and if not .....bye-bye. My second choice would be my 357 Magnum revolver.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:00 PM

773 posts, read 1,215,578 times
I would love to see in the news, a story about a raging granny beating a burglar with a butter knife. That would make my day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies