Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 01:49 AM

194 posts, read 299,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-mac View Post
GOOD LUCK BBUTREL I feel sorry for you.
Strange, I feel the same way about you.

Quote:
Like I said earlier if it is so bad where you live move.
I am. I move to the suburbs in mid-August. Oops, you didn't know that, did you?

Quote:
By the way BButrel can you teach me how to qoute multiple people in a response? Haven't been able to figure that one out yet.
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 12:00 PM

195 posts, read 515,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BButrell View Post
Strange, I feel the same way about you.

I am. I move to the suburbs in mid-August. Oops, you didn't know that, did you?

No.
I know i said I was done here, but Thanks anyways. God Bless You Too! I Really I do mean that!

Old 07-31-2008, 05:57 PM

656 posts, read 1,309,826 times
I can't believe that people are actually saying that they would prefer to call the local gang bangers than the cops. that's sad. I could never imagine having that mind set. BUT that being said i also haven't lived in some of the neighborhoods where the people who feel this way have. I also do believe though that we need to be responsible for ourselves and our own actions and i know that alot of times people who come from bad areas like to blame the police and others when they brake the law. and i guess feeling oppressed as they do others jump on the band wagon.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:06 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Notice that blacks are said to be the biggest haters of cops but stats show that they call the police way more than their per centage of population in the nation. In fact looking at what is going on in DC with black support in neighborhoods is kind of scary.
I was wondering when someone would pull the race card.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:27 PM

539 posts, read 1,804,914 times
Bad cops, yes! Much worse.
The other cops, don't be rediculous.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:40 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Any idea of the caselaw this is from? I have always believed that anyone, police included should be held accountable to the law. While citizens should always follow the lawful direction of any police officer, if they are beating someone up for no reason they should be stopped immediately, and not allowed to permanently injure someone who may be innocent. On the other hand if a police officer is being abused by a citizen I would like to see other citizens come to the aid of the officer. The only way this will happen if if the police are held to high standards and do not tolerate unlawful behavior. While most who are abused by the police are criminals, justice should be assigned by courts composed of educated juries, not the police. Until the public accepts and performs their civic duties, the police will not be held to proper standards. The police should be there to protect the rights of citizens, and I applaud those who do despite daily danger and not much compensation. The ones on a "power trip" need to be re-educated or replaced.
The idea has been that if an officer or other public official is acting unlawfully, he/she has no more protection than any other criminal (because an officer acting unlawfully is a criminal). Obviously as I said this carries some risk to the victim attempting self-defense, but courts have upheld it when it was shown to be in defense against an illegal action (video and audio recordings have helped many innocent victims of the police).

This became a big thing for a time after the Civil War against officials trying to deprive freed slaves of their rights, it's what the Civil Rights Act of 1871 was targeting (the KKK was a big target of it). Under it any official who deprives people of rights under color of law can be sued in federal court and is then liable for the legal expenses of the plaintiff.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Yeah NYPD and the LAPD go around selling crack for a living and shoot at other police departments in other cities and kill innocent childern playing on sidewalks with crossfire. Oh and if I have a problem or need help I call my local gang for help. GET REAL!!!!!

There are bad cops out there like there is bad anything. Parents, Politicians, clergy, and DMV employees. but they are not the majority. My hats off to them for what they do on a daily basis. THANK YOU LAPD, NYPD Chicago PD and every other PD and Sheriff's Dept out there. You are the one's that put on the Kevlar vest and come to my aid when called. THANK YOU THANK YOU and God Bless You.

I do think that they should be held to a higher standard because of their power and be punished if it is abused.
Hmm, how about the home invasion and robbery ring that was running in the Chicago Police Department? Prosecutor: Cops Silenced Victims With Threats - News Story - WMAQ | Chicago

The New York City and various New Jersey police departments are known for ignoring the federal Firearm owners Protection Act of 1986; that is, arresting people legally transporting firearms as violating their state firearm laws despite a federal law protecting transporting firearms while travelling through areas like that.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:17 PM

Yes there are bad cops...are they all bad? No!!!!!! So because a dentist rapes his patient while she is under anaestesia I should not go to any dentist for any reason and let my teeth rot out of my head. Sounds pretty logical to me.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Yes there are bad cops...are they all bad? No!!!!!! So because a dentist rapes his patient while she is under anaestesia I should not go to any dentist for any reason and let my teeth rot out of my head. Sounds pretty logical to me.
I didn't see any "good" cops turning them in on the CPD.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:58 PM

OP "Are the Police twice as bad as gangs?" Logically there is no one that can answer yes to this question and be honest. I'm sure there are to many accounts of people who have had a run in with the police and it was brought on by themslves and now have an axe to grind because they can't take responsibility for their actions. I know also that many have had a bad experience by a bad cop. I'm not arguing that this never happens. Why is that even in gang infested areas or where cops are notorius for their bad behavior do people still dial 911 when in need? Because they are worst then gangs? Or they know that there are good people out there who have taken an oath and live by it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies