Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 05:41 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,972,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Ahh, the Olympic spirit and ideals alive and well. I'm wondering where all the Israel-bashers are, they are strangely silent on this thread.
Oh, I'm right here, the Israel-basher.

Unfortunately as some liberal warmongering RINOs would like to hope, I'm not consequently a Jew basher. The guy is probably a very pleasant person, and I'm quite sure I would never suspect him of profiteering or spreading Zionist messages . In fact, I entirely fault the Iranian for not wishing to participate in a peaceful event. Like the OP said, maybe his gov't forced him to withdrawl. Would you say no to a leader who would execute you?

I'm just glad the blind Israel backers, pseudo-Christian psychopathic snake charmers like Jack Van Impe and Pat Robertson as well as NWO nutcases like Bill Kristol are irrelevant for this particular moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 05:42 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Ahh, the Olympic spirit and ideals alive and well. I'm wondering where all the Israel-bashers are, they are strangely silent on this thread.
His loss... Better to try and fail then to just quit. That statement he is making is weak at best.
I think it more likely that his Gov told him that he would not compete.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:22 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
He was not likely to win a medal.

If he lost to an Isreali, I could only speculate as to what could happen to his family.

He/ his handlers made a reasonable decision under the circumstances and he/they will be rewarded as a hero back in Iran.

Where is the difficulty in understanding his decision?
Yep. He'd probably lose and return to Iran to be greeted by a mob and a noose around his neck.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:53 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
I would love to see the Israeli win that one. Then do a superior dance in front of the entire iranian delegation.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:46 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
I'm just glad the blind Israel backers, pseudo-Christian psychopathic snake charmers like Jack Van Impe and Pat Robertson as well as NWO nutcases like Bill Kristol are irrelevant for this particular moment.
None of which ignorant hyperbole has the slightest relevance to the OP, or the obnoxious and genocidal hatred which Iranians and other muslim fundamentalists display, in word and deed, for Israel and the jewish people.

Back to the point: that an athlete would permit his country's racism to trump the ideal of Olympic competition, thus underscoring the message that racial and political hatred is indeed stronger than sportsmanship, is the height of moral ugliness --- and an unmitigated insult to the Olympic ideal.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:43 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,229,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Yep. He'd probably lose and return to Iran to be greeted by a mob and a noose around his neck.

Heck. That happened in Italy several years back when some Italian missed a goal. He was murdered when he came back.

I said I was speculating as to what might happen. They area fiery bunch of people those Iranians.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:34 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Oh, I'm right here, the Israel-basher.

Unfortunately as some liberal warmongering RINOs would like to hope, I'm not consequently a Jew basher. The guy is probably a very pleasant person, and I'm quite sure I would never suspect him of profiteering or spreading Zionist messages . In fact, I entirely fault the Iranian for not wishing to participate in a peaceful event. Like the OP said, maybe his gov't forced him to withdrawl. Would you say no to a leader who would execute you?

I would imagine he was ordered ot withdraw form the race, although it's quite possible he shares the sentiment. Interestingly enough, the Iranian basketball team played Russia, whose head coach is Israeli. The Iranian players shook the coach's hand and some made statements about wanting to avoid politics.

I think what this represents - and what my point about (most of) the Israel-bashers being silent here, is that many nutjobs are trying to make the case that Iran has peaceful aims in their nuclear quest and all of their public statements. The case has been attempted to be made here on multiple times that Iran's (and Ahmandinajad's) statements have been mistranslated, and it's all part of a necon,Zionist, Jewish-controlled media push for war.

What better venue than to prove wrong those of us who claim Iran is a belligerent, dangerous state, bent on war and havoc than to use the Olympics a s a place to reach out to the Israelis.

Clearly with this swimmer a statement is being made about what Iran is about and where their sentiments lie. I'll give you a hint, it's not about peace or civil relations with Israel.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:03 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,178 times
On the bright side, the Israeli and the other athlete's didn't have to share the same pool as that Iranian scum.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:14 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
On the bright side, the Israeli and the other athlete's didn't have to share the same pool as that Iranian scum.
Calling an individual, in this case a world class athlete, scum simply because of their national origin is classless and ignorant.

No offense.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:46 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Calling an individual, in this case a world class athlete, scum simply because of their national origin is classless and ignorant.

No offense.
Well said. Especially given that he comes from a society that would most definetly settle up if he doesn't follow his marching orders. It sucks to be him. Trains his whole life for this moment only to have politics snatch what slim chance he had away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies