Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2007, 07:50 PM

355 posts, read 842,472 times

Advertisements

Here's a compelling anecdote about the effects of anti-abortion attitudes and legislation:

While I attended a religiously affiliated private school, a classmate of mine (I'll refer to her as Jane) was casually dating a fellow schoolmate (I'll refer to him as Mike) during their junior year of high school. Both of them we very good students and were steadfast in their religious beliefs. However, one night when both of them attended a party, they had a bit too much to drink. As the night progressed, Mike and others continued to encourage an already tipsy Jane to continue drinking. One thing lead to another, and Mike and Jane had intercourse.

Initially, Jane had no recollection of the night's events and discovered the extent of her behavior from one of Mike's friends. As her luck would have it, she took a pregnancy test that confirmed her being pregnant. Of course, she hid the information from her ever religious parents and was considering taking the situation "into her own hands". She was advised on the contrary (thankfully for her health) and eventually told her parents. The parents discussed it with their pastor and they were advised to withdraw her from the private school in order for her to carry the baby to term. The identity of the father was never asked for and Mike received no relevent punishment for his actions. When the parents and Jane asked if she would be able to return for her senior year, the pastor recommended against such a decision.

Jane finished as much of her junior year in a home school program before being completely bed-ridden. She gave birth and her parents advised her to give the child up for adoption (despite her becoming very emotionally attached) for the sake of their family's image and her being unwed, and she did. She returned to school, a public school in an entirely different area, for her senior year, but she was nearly four months behind on her studies and was subsequently unfit to apply to many of the top universities to which she previously intended to apply. She eventually did apply to four middle-of-the-road institutions, and was denied admissions to all of them. The result was her heading down a path of depression and abusing prescription medications. Her parents eventually realized the serious danger in her addiction and sought professional help late in her senior year of high school. It would be two and a half years before she would regain the motivation to complete her G.E.D. and apply to university and another 5 years before she would receive her undergraduate degree.

Had she been able to abort the child given the assistance and moral support of her family and friends, Jane would not have been forced to forego the final part of her junior year of high school and subsequently forego eligibility to receive a high school diploma. The effects of this unwanted pregnancy (which hardly stemmed from a consensual act) were present beyond the physical, nine month period.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:16 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,115,902 times
Amavel, thank you so very much for sharing the story and a very good example of how difficult it is to make these choices. And apparently, not only did it affect Jane and Mike, it appears to affected you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
Here's a compelling anecdote about the effects of anti-abortion attitudes and legislation:

While I attended a religiously affiliated private school, a classmate of mine (I'll refer to her as Jane) was casually dating a fellow schoolmate (I'll refer to him as Mike) during their junior year of high school. Both of them we very good students and were steadfast in their religious beliefs. However, one night when both of them attended a party, they had a bit too much to drink. As the night progressed, Mike and others continued to encourage an already tipsy Jane to continue drinking. One thing lead to another, and Mike and Jane had intercourse.

Initially, Jane had no recollection of the night's events and discovered the extent of her behavior from one of Mike's friends. As her luck would have it, she took a pregnancy test that confirmed her being pregnant. Of course, she hid the information from her ever religious parents and was considering taking the situation "into her own hands". She was advised on the contrary (thankfully for her health) and eventually told her parents. The parents discussed it with their pastor and they were advised to withdraw her from the private school in order for her to carry the baby to term. The identity of the father was never asked for and Mike received no relevent punishment for his actions. When the parents and Jane asked if she would be able to return for her senior year, the pastor recommended against such a decision.

Jane finished as much of her junior year in a home school program before being completely bed-ridden. She gave birth and her parents advised her to give the child up for adoption (despite her becoming very emotionally attached) for the sake of their family's image and her being unwed, and she did. She returned to school, a public school in an entirely different area, for her senior year, but she was nearly four months behind on her studies and was subsequently unfit to apply to many of the top universities to which she previously intended to apply. She eventually did apply to four middle-of-the-road institutions, and was denied admissions to all of them. The result was her heading down a path of depression and abusing prescription medications. Her parents eventually realized the serious danger in her addiction and sought professional help late in her senior year of high school. It would be two and a half years before she would regain the motivation to complete her G.E.D. and apply to university and another 5 years before she would receive her undergraduate degree.

Had she been able to abort the child given the assistance and moral support of her family and friends, Jane would not have been forced to forego the final part of her junior year of high school and subsequently forego eligibility to receive a high school diploma. The effects of this unwanted pregnancy (which hardly stemmed from a consensual act) were present beyond the physical, nine month period.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:57 PM

381 posts, read 1,685,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post

Yeah, I know someone who has a 2 year old and wants to go back to school but she can't, therefore she should be able to kill him... right?

This makes no sense

Old 02-16-2007, 10:04 PM

This is such a sensitive subject, SunshineBaby, so I know you are feeling upset.

But let's not forget we are sharing our individual thoughts, not trying to make one contributor wrong or right.

I know Amavel can speak for himself/herself, but I do not want this thread to turn this into a row; it is a discussion.

Okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineBaby View Post
Yeah, I know someone who has a 2 year old and wants to go back to school but she can't, therefore she should be able to kill him... right?

This makes no sense

Old 02-16-2007, 10:10 PM

381 posts, read 1,685,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
This is such a sensitive subject, SunshineBaby, so I know you are feeling upset.

But let's not forget we are sharing our individual thoughts, not trying to make one contributor wrong or right.

I know Amavel can speak for himself/herself, but I do not want this thread to turn this into a row; it is a discussion.

Okay!
Yes. You're right. I'm sorry. Thank you for gently scolding me

I would like to share this, though:

Dear Mommy

Month One

Mommy, I am only 8 inches long, but I have all my organs. I love the sound of your voice. Every time I hear it, I wave my arms and legs. The sound of your heart beat is my favorite lullaby.

Month Two

Mommy, today I learned how to suck my thumb. If you could see me, you could definitely tell that I am a baby. I'm not big enough to survive outside my home though. It is so nice and warm in here.

Month Three

You know what Mommy, I'm a boy!! I hope that makes you happy. I always want you to be happy. I don't like it when you cry. You sound so sad. It makes me sad too, and I cry with you even though you can't hear me.

Month Four

Mommy, my hair is starting to grow. It is very short and fine, but I will have a lot of it. I spend a lot of my time exercising. I can turn my head and curl my fingers and toes, and stretch my arms and legs. I am becoming quite good at it too.

Month Five

You went to the doctor today. Mommy, he lied to you. He said that I'm not a baby. I am a baby Mommy, your baby. I think and feel. Mommy, what's abortion?

Month Six

I can hear that doctor again. I don't like him. He seems cold and heartless. Something is intruding my home. The doctor called it a needle. Mommy what is it? It burns! Please make him stop! I can't get away from it! Mommy! HELP me!

Month Seven

Mommy, I am okay. I am in Jesus' arms. He is holding me. He told me about abortion. Why didn't you want me Mommy?

Every abortion is just:

One more heart that was stopped...
Two more eyes that will never see...
Two more hands that will never touch...
Two more legs that will never run...
One more mouth that will never speak...

Old 02-16-2007, 10:12 PM

SunshineBaby, thanks for sharing this; I know it will mean a great deal to many of those reading the thread.

In peace and more!

Old 02-17-2007, 07:58 AM

504 posts, read 1,764,163 times
Viable, for all those who do not have a dictionary, means having reached such a stage of development as to be capable of living under normal conditions outside the uterus.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:25 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,744,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
It's murder and should be ended. The fallacy that has been presented is that pro-life folks want to "take away a woman's right to choose" baloney! We would not deny someone's right to choose; however, the option cannot be murder! Since 1973 the US has legalized murder. It will end soon thank God Almighty!
I absolutely agree with your post. The problem with the "choice" theory is that one of the choices is abhorrent! It's immoral. You can't have one of the choices be death.

I say that I am totally against abortion. I am all for a woman's right to choose... but not in the sense that the liberals make it. The choice needs to start prior to having s ex. If you don't want a kid then take precaution, there are so many very effective methods on the market. And please don't give me the song and dance about it being incest, rape, etc. Because stastics show that those cases are small it's nuts!

Old 02-17-2007, 09:45 AM

Thanks for the clarity on viability, alexander59.

And RedWingsFan, I always respect another person's POV.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:43 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
The decision to have an abortion or not should be made very thoughtfully. I don't think rape or incest are necesarily reasons, either. Darn, see how this issue sucks us in...
I worked with a woman whose father had fathered her baby (incest). Of course, this is a crime so he was sent to prison for this. She chose to have the baby. She was only 13 at the time.

Fast forward 10 years. Try explaining to people that your father is also the father of your child -- people have a hard time wrapping their heads around that one. Not only that, but your father and your baby's father is a convicted criminal. A lot of people don't realize it's one and the same person. They just think that, for some reason, the women in your family are attracted to the criminal element.

A child of 13 having a baby is not going to be a great parent, particularly when they are from a one parent home. (Yeah, because dad is away on "vacation.") At 23, this child is now a full grown woman with three kids. She has no problem leaving at 4 a.m. to go to work and letting her kids fend for themselves. Her 10 year old gets up and goes to school by himself, leaving his 5 year old sister and her baby brother alone for most of the day. Who would trust a 5 year old to take care of a baby? Why would a 5 year old be put in charge of everything? ("I had a baby at 13. She's a responsible 5 year old. If the house burns down, they can call me.")

I would really think twice about encouraging anyone to have a child that's the product of incest. I have personally seen the results once, and I really don't think it's a great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies