Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2007, 08:18 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I personally don't believe there is an answer that would satisfy--as it is "personal" and not "specific." And that is my best answer!

Perhaps someone else will attempt a more specific answer!
Maybe I can make it a little more concrete. Certainly you feel that at some point in a fetus/child's life it deserves legal protection from those who would harm it. At what point do you feel this should be instituted?

Old 02-19-2007, 08:29 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
I believe I expressed my opinion on this in another post: I would always take the welfare of the mother and child into consideration each and every time the question of abortion is raised. I don't think "deserve" is at issue. Both lives have equal value!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Maybe I can make it a little more concrete. Certainly you feel that at some point in a fetus/child's life it deserves legal protection from those who would harm it. At what point do you feel this should be instituted?

Old 02-19-2007, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I believe I expressed my opinion on this in another post: I would always take the welfare of the mother and child into consideration each and every time the question of abortion is raised. I don't think "deserve" is at issue. Both lives have equal value!
I believe you don't really want to give an answer because it might divulge some weakness in your argument.
So, you are saying that the government should never provide legal protection for a child and that the mother should be consulted before any such action is taken? I think we can narrow this down a bit. How about at the age of 2? Should the mother have complete and sole jurisdiction over any decisions related to the welfare of her child?

Old 02-19-2007, 08:38 AM

Amaznjohn, if you read the posts, from start to finish, you'll find I have more than answered your question(s).

Taking the issue beyond the fetus, an unborn child, is not helpful or related to the issue of abortion or this discussion.

If you need more of an answer to your question(s) than I am prepared to give, wait for another poster who may satisfy your urge to debate this farther.

Quote:
I believe you don't really want to give an answer because it might divulge some weakness in your argument.
So, you are saying that the government should never provide legal protection for a child and that the mother should be consulted before any such action is taken? I think we can narrow this down a bit. How about at the age of 2? Should the mother have complete and sole jurisdiction over any decisions related to the welfare of her child?

Old 02-19-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Amaznjohn, if you read the posts, from start to finish, you'll find I have more than answered your question(s).

Taking the issue beyond the fetus, an unborn child, is not helpful or related to the issue of abortion or this discussion.

If you need more of an answer to your question(s) than I am prepared to give, wait for another poster who may satisfy your urge to debate this farther.
I don't mind to wait for an answer from another poster, so long as you don't claim to have answered it. You seem to be suggesting that the decision needs to be made in consort with the mother, father, and physician. I understand this. However, I would like to know, at what point do you feel this would cease and the life of the child is legally protected by the law. Would it be once the umbilical cord is severed? Once the baby is removed from the birthing canal? Or at some other point?

Old 02-19-2007, 08:52 AM

When a child is born--it is not aborted

Hence, the hospital and legal institutions have protective responsibility.

Quote:
I don't mind to wait for an answer from another poster, so long as you don't claim to have answered it. You seem to be suggesting that the decision needs to be made in consort with the mother, father, and physician. I understand this. However, I would like to know, at what point do you feel this would cease and the life of the child is legally protected by the law. Would it be once the umbilical cord is severed? Once the baby is removed from the birthing canal? Or at some other point?

Old 02-19-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
When a child is born--it is not aborted

Hence, the hospital and legal institutions have protective responsibility.
When you say "born", when do you mean? Again, when the umbilical cord is cut, or some other point? This doesn't need to be this complicated.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:57 AM

It seems clear you are deliberately being dense. Perhaps you enjoy it!

born - out of the body!

All medical personnel go to extra-ordinary lengths to save children's lives!

Quote:
When you say "born", when do you mean? Again, when the umbilical cord is cut, or some other point? This doesn't need to be this complicated.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
It seems clear you are deliberately being dense. Perhaps you enjoy it!

born - out of the body!

All medical personnel go to extra-ordinary lengths to save children's lives!
OK. Thank you. It took a while but it seems I got an answer. Now, can you tell me whether you believe that these three individuals, the mother, father, and doctor, should have the right to abort the fetus because it doesn't match the sex that the couple desired, so long as they abort it before the birth?

Old 02-19-2007, 09:02 AM

I am not here to satisfy your curiosity!

Quote:
OK. Thank you. It took a while but it seems I got an answer. Now, can you tell me whether you believe that these three individuals, the mother, father, and doctor, should have the right to abort the fetus because it doesn't match the sex that the couple desired, so long as they abort it before the birth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies