Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2007, 04:06 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,174,356 times

Advertisements

Whoa... Here's a story about the world's youngest mother. She was only 5 years old and preferred playing with her dolls instead of her baby.

http://www.snopes.com/pregnant/medina.asp

Here's another story about the same girl (along with a lot of comments):

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=236

Last edited by UB50; 02-17-2007 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 02-17-2007, 04:08 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,124,664 times
If this is at snopes, it is a story not a truth!

Let's get back to the original topic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Whoa... Here's a story about the world's youngest mother. She was only 5 years old and preferred playing with her dolls instead of her baby.

http://www.snopes.com/pregnant/medina.asp

Old 02-17-2007, 04:26 PM

355 posts, read 842,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineBaby View Post
Yeah, I know someone who has a 2 year old and wants to go back to school but she can't, therefore she should be able to kill him... right?

This makes no sense
It makes no sense because you're trying to compare two circumstances that cannot be compared. Did your friend have consensual, unprotected sex? Was it her choice to carry the child? Was it her choice to keep the baby and raise it? Those that make such decisions to raise children should be held fully responsible and I'm sure she realized how difficult it is to raise children (presumably) as a single parent.

In this anecdote, the teen was not given to option to abort, nor was she given the option to give the baby up for adoption or not. And she didn't end up killing the baby, so I'm not sure how your coarse comparison fits anyway?

Old 02-17-2007, 04:34 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,174,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
If this is at snopes, it is a story not a truth!
I wouldn't have posted it except that Snopes confirmed it was TRUE. I would never have believed it myself! If you read the story, her parents thought it was a tumor until she was 7 1/2 months pregnant. Anyway, Snopes has a lot of references listed.

This really brings a new meaning to "underaged mother." I don't believe I could/would let a child go through a pregnancy that young (unless, like in this case, they didn't discover what it was until it was too late).

Old 02-17-2007, 06:08 PM

381 posts, read 1,686,253 times
I admit I was hasty in making such a "coarse comparison", as you put it, but to me it is the same thing, because to me a six week old fetus is just as much of a person as a two year old child, and killing it is just as much murder. And to me the idea that having to wait a couple of years longer to get a degree is a good enough reason to kill a baby is beyond coarse, it's sickening because it's a mirror image of the selfishness of humankind. Especially in America, where "keeping up with the Joneses" is more important than the sanctity of life.

Again, I am sorry for the remarks; they were not well-thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
It makes no sense because you're trying to compare two circumstances that cannot be compared. Did your friend have consensual, unprotected sex? Was it her choice to carry the child? Was it her choice to keep the baby and raise it? Those that make such decisions to raise children should be held fully responsible and I'm sure she realized how difficult it is to raise children (presumably) as a single parent.

In this anecdote, the teen was not given to option to abort, nor was she given the option to give the baby up for adoption or not. And she didn't end up killing the baby, so I'm not sure how your coarse comparison fits anyway?

Old 02-18-2007, 10:54 AM

206 posts, read 939,106 times
I've read all the posts here and it's nice to see everyone being civil to each other. I'm pro-choice and value a woman's right over her own body. I only hope women will always have their rights protected. I do agree, I have many Christian conservative friends, who don't believe women should have a choice, but they also complain about welfare moms and many other govt. programs to help low income moms and kids. I'll never understand that position, it makes no sense at all.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:46 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,695,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorann View Post
I've read all the posts here and it's nice to see everyone being civil to each other. I'm pro-choice and value a woman's right over her own body. I only hope women will always have their rights protected. I do agree, I have many Christian conservative friends, who don't believe women should have a choice, but they also complain about welfare moms and many other govt. programs to help low income moms and kids. I'll never understand that position, it makes no sense at all.
I've posed this question, but noone on the pro-choice side has answered it as of yet. I'm hoping that you will oblige.
At what point, EXACTLY, during the birthing process do you feel the fetus/baby receives protection by the government as a human and the woman relinquishes her right to choose, i.e. the third trimester, when the baby is removed from the birthing canal, when the umbilical cord is severed?

BTW, I'm agnostic so religion is not a factor in my view.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:30 AM

Thanks for stopping by again, Amaznjohn.

I did attempt to answer your question earlier on; here was my response (repeated):

Quote:
Undoubtedly, different people will have different takes on this question.

I am pro-choice, and very anti-abortion. This may sound contradictory, but it isn't. I believe each woman, and when plausible, each pregnant woman with her mate or parental advisors, should discuss the pros and cons of an abortion and make an informed, personal decision.

If people would take the idea of pregnancy more seriously, they'll also start to take birth control measures much more seriously. Abortion should not be used in place of birth control. However, the facts are we don't teach sex education uniformly and therefore woman can't make an informed decision about how having or not having a child is a life and death issue. As a society many oppose abortion, but many of those same people also oppose birth control....conundrum #17.

When people can't and don't acknowledge their pregnancy, we often see late term abortion. However, late term abortions are not as common as people would like to suggest, and when late-term abortion does occur it is generally for medical reasons--not caprice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I've posed this question, but noone on the pro-choice side has answered it as of yet. I'm hoping that you will oblige.
At what point, EXACTLY, during the birthing process do you feel the fetus/baby receives protection by the government as a human and the woman relinquishes her right to choose, i.e. the third trimester, when the baby is removed from the birthing canal, when the umbilical cord is severed?

BTW, I'm agnostic so religion is not a factor in my view.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:35 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,695,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Thanks for stopping by again, Amaznjohn.

I did attempt to answer your question earlier on; here was my response (repeated):
Like I said, no one has answered. Honestly, I didn't even recognize an attempt. Can you direct me to the specific sentence that addressed my question?

As an addendum, there was one attempt that answered vaguely with when the fetus is considered viable, no specifics.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:46 AM

I personally don't believe there is an answer that would satisfy--as it is "personal" and not "specific." And that is my best answer!

Perhaps someone else will attempt a more specific answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Like I said, no one has answered. Honestly, I didn't even recognize an attempt. Can you direct me to the specific sentence that addressed my question?

As an addendum, there was one attempt that answered vaguely with when the fetus is considered viable, no specifics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies