Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2007, 09:05 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I am not here to satisfy your curiosity!
Then maybe you shouldn't have tried to answer my question in the first place. It was you, not I, who initiated this debate. If you want to withdraw, please do so.
Again, I think you are simply afraid of what might be revealed if you continue.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:07 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,126,326 times
You appear to want to fight; not debate!

I find your questions inappropriate and off-topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Then maybe you shouldn't have tried to answer my question in the first place. It was you, not I, who initiated this debate. If you want to withdraw, please do so.
Again, I think you are simply afraid of what might be revealed if you continue.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:

I can't help your perceptions. The topic is Pro-Choice vs. Anti-Abortion. If you don't want to discuss either of these, then you are in the wrong thread. My questions are precisely on topic and appropriate for the subject matter.

I'm not wanting to make this adverserial but you chimed in with a self-proclaimed answer that took you nearly 3 pages of posts to actually divulge. But, I do believe that I can make you rethink your position, if you are willing to follow the logic trail. Again, I'm not a pro-lifer and am agnostic, so my logic has no religious connotations.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:13 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,614,194 times
Quote:

Quote:
I can't help your perceptions. The topic is Pro-Choice vs. Anti-Abortion. If you don't want to discuss either of these, then you are in the wrong thread. My questions are precisely on topic and appropriate for the subject matter.

I'm not wanting to make this adverserial but you chimed in with a self-proclaimed answer that took you nearly 3 pages of posts to actually divulge. But, I do believe that I can make you rethink your position, if you are willing to follow the logic trail. Again, I'm not a pro-lifer and am agnostic, so my logic has no religious connotations.
Did I miss the wedding? How long have you two been married?

-TT

Old 02-19-2007, 04:18 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,346,393 times
Quote:
.....Now, can you tell me whether you believe that these three individuals, the mother, father, and doctor, should have the right to abort the fetus because it doesn't match the sex that the couple desired, so long as they abort it before the birth?
Is this something you are facing at the present time? Are you carrying a girl (boy) and don't want a girl (boy) child. Have you faced this in the past? or are very close to someone who has experienced this dilemma? In China and other patriarchial societies where women are considered chattel, this happens very much. What point are you trying to make or what exactly is the question (altho I can about guess....)?

Old 02-19-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Is this something you are facing at the present time? Are you carrying a girl (boy) and don't want a girl (boy) child. Have you faced this in the past? or are very close to someone who has experienced this dilemma? In China and other patriarchial societies where women are considered chattel, this happens very much. What point are you trying to make or what exactly is the question (altho I can about guess....)?
No. I have no personal interest in this at the moment. At least I hope not. I believe my daughter is smart enough to avoid this situation.
As I've explained, I am neither pro-life nor pro-choice, I'm pro-rights. I'm not religious either, so I have no religious viewpoint on this. My point is that pro-choicers are being disingenuous about their stance "it's the woman's body, and she should be able to do with it as she pleases". Only one person whom I've explained this to has actually honestly admitted that she supports a womans right to choice up until the baby leaves the birthing canal, even for sex selection and parental convenience to avoid the burden of a handicapped child.

The question is: " At what point EXACTLY does the mother relinquish her exclusive rights to the child?

Old 02-19-2007, 04:38 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,346,393 times
Quote:
I believe my daughter is smart enough to avoid this situation.
"Smart" has little if anything to do with it. Is she sexually active? Has she started birth control? Answer the question from that point - say your daughter becomes pregnant. Who decides when she "...relinquish(es) her exclusive rights to the child" You, her parent(s)? She, herself? The father? The State? Personally, I refuse to give up exclusive rights to my children and they're adults.
You've added "...parental convenience to avoid the burden of a handicapped child" Who says you get to judge?

Last edited by mm_mary73; 02-19-2007 at 04:49 PM..

Old 02-19-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
"Smart" has little if anything to do with it. Answer the question from that point - say your daughter is pregnant. Who decides when she "...relinquish(es) her exclusive rights to the child" You, her parent(s)? She, herself? The father? The State? Personally, I refuse to give up exclusive rights to my children and they're adults.
You've added "...parental convenience to avoid the burden of a handicapped child" - you have no knowlegde of why a couple would undergo the trauma of a late term abortion.
There are plenty of reasons to undergo a late term abortion, rape, incest, late knowledge of the pregnancy, sex selection, convenience, health of the mother, and change of heart, amongst others.

I'm sorry. You have already relinquished exclusive rights to your child. The State will not allow you to harm your child, regardless of his/her age. Also your child is allowed legally to make their own decisions, of which you haven't the final say.

"Smart" has a lot to do with whether a girl/woman gets pregnant, in many cases. A female must be able to avoid behaviors and situations which would put her in danger of this happening. This, however, does not relinquish the responsibility of the boy/man who may be involved. Though she may not be at fault, many times there are actions that could've been taken to avoid the possibility.

Let me ask the question in another way. At what point does the State institute legal protection to the fetus/baby? When the baby exits the birthing canal? When the umbilical cord is cut? Or some other point?

Old 02-19-2007, 04:54 PM

I know my daughter has had sex, she's 21. But I wouldn't consider her sexually active. She doesn't what to get pregnant. However, if she does get pregnant, I feel that she will take responsibility for her actions and provide the baby a good home.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:51 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,910,223 times
Pro Life/ Anti Abortion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies