Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:25 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
It amazes me to see people defend the rich, unless they ARE rich themselves. It's mind-boggling.

Do you expect to be rich someday? Is that why you don't relate to the middle-class who don't get all the breaks like the rich? I relate more to my own class, which is middle, and to lower-income people, because I've been there, too.

Maybe it's just where you're from, or how you grew up. But, I've never thought the rich were more worthy than the rest of us to get the tax breaks.
What do you consider "rich"?

and BTW The McCains PAID taxes and to the tune of 1.13 million not the nonsense that the Lieington Post says.
Quote:
Cindy McCain Releases 2007 Tax Return

By Michael D. Shear
Cindy McCain, the wife of Republican presidential candidate John McCain, paid $1.13 million in taxes during 2007 on income of more than $4.1 million.
McCain's campaign released a two-page summary of her tax return on Friday evening, saying in a statement that she had received an extension until Oct. 15 because she had not received all the information needed to file by the April deadline.
The tax return indicates that most of Cindy McCain's income -- about $2.9 million -- came from "rental real estate, royalties, partnerships, S corporations, trusts, etc." The heir to a beer distributorship, McCain also has several homes, including rental properties.
Cindy McCain also reported $746,000 in capital gains and a $297,000 salary.
The couple has always reported their income separately. John McCain had previously released his tax returns for 2006 and 2007, showing income of about $500,000, largely from his Senate salary, book royalties and retirement income.
Cindy McCain had initially resisted releasing her tax returns, citing disclosure the couple made in Senate filings. But she later relented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 08:27 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
She still owes about $1700 in penalties. On top of everything, apparently she didn't pull the correct permits for the spa, infinity edge pool and addition. The property appears to be extremely undervalued. Oligarchy at work.

And she's the first person who incurred tax penalties for not following our ridiculously complex tax code laws?

And she's the first person to not pull permits?

Wow, someone go arrest the b*tch. She's obviously a menace to society.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:30 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Good, so then you know that the top 1% of wage earners in this country pay 39% of all taxes collected.
Apparently that's not fair to you. You think they should pay more, say 60% of all taxes collected. Would that be O.K.?
Of course you know that higher taxes equates to fewer jobs.
Under Obama's plan, they'd be paying well over 80%.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:31 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marblmom View Post
Cindy McCain reported earnings of $4.2 million is 2007. Yet she was able to deduct over $500,000, and paid 26% of her income in federal income taxes. Why am I taxed at 28%, and she is paying 26%? John McCain paid 21%. And, I pay a higher % of my income to social security. Why shouldn't Cindy & John pay more? I am so glad that Obama will finally make the wealthiest in our country pay their fair share.

Cindy McCain Tax Returns: Reports $4.2 Million In 2007 Income
I guess because dollar for dollar shoe is probably paying 1000 times more money than you?

Old 10-29-2008, 08:35 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Do you know when they originally bought it?
Do you know how much they purchased it for?
Do you know what they assessment was when they purchased it?

California Proposition 13 limits increases assessments to 2% per year. This keeps the assesments on many properties that have been held for a long time very low.

Being they bought the condo in 1972 for under $85,000 the taxes sound right and the taxes on similar units that have been held for 36 years would be the same.

There is your reality.
Fair enough.
To me, anyone who is this rich and this connected doesn't jive with the 'Joe the Plumber' persona he is trying to portray- I think that's a bit of a sham. I've had enough of the entitled oligarchy for the past 8 years. I'm ready to try someone new.
The McCain Properties - List - NYTimes.com

Old 10-29-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Fair enough.
To me, anyone who is this rich and this connected doesn't jive with the 'Joe the Plumber' persona he is trying to portray- I think that's a bit of a sham. I've had enough of the entitled oligarchy for the past 8 years. I'm ready to try someone new.
McCain (John) is NOT rich his wife is, so why is it so hard to believe that he could connected with Mr. Plumber.

Also John and Cindy have a pre-nup so it is NOT his money it is hers. Also the Obama's are not and have never been poor.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:51 AM

1,958 posts, read 2,495,009 times
Quote:
Fair enough.
Bottom line, who cares how rich they are? Why do YOU want to steal it? It's not mine, yours, obamas or the DNC's. Why not raid Kennedys compound or Kerrys wealth, he's MUCH wealthier than McCain.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:03 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
What do you consider "rich"?

and BTW The McCains PAID taxes and to the tune of 1.13 million not the nonsense that the Lieington Post says.
It's all relative, depending on how many in your family, and where you live, the cost of living, etc. As a single person living in a fairly high-cost area, I make more than the average person (because there are many who make less who have families), but I'm not rich. The median salary in the U.S. is around $47K, I think.

"Rich" means something different to everyone - to McCain, it's those who have 5 million or more, to Obama, it's $250K or more - to me, it's probably having a salary of $100K or more as a single person. That would give me extra money to go on trips, go out to dinner regularly, buy something nice for myself without having to worry about it, maybe even put something away for retirement - stuff like that. As it is now, what with stagnant wages for 35 years, it's hard to even keep up with the regular bills. But, I certainly don't feel poor. Maybe I should!

It doesn't mean fancy cars and fancy houses or trips around the world, but maybe it does to some.

My point is that rich people (who usually don't live on wages alone) have a lot more tax breaks than the middle-class. We, the middle-class, support corporate welfare, and welfare for the poor. And, we don't have too much money beyond wages in order to get tax breaks.

I think that's why McCain said 5 million, because he's not thinking in terms of wages - he doesn't live only on wages, like most of us.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
It's all relative, depending on how many in your family, and where you live, the cost of living, etc. As a single person living in a fairly high-cost area, I make more than the average person (because there are many who make less who have families), but I'm not rich. The median salary in the U.S. is around $47K, I think.

"Rich" means something different to everyone - to McCain, it's those who have 5 million or more, to Obama, it's $250K or more - to me, it's probably having a salary of $100K or more as a single person. That would give me extra money to go on trips, go out to dinner regularly, buy something nice for myself without having to worry about it, maybe even put something away for retirement - stuff like that. As it is now, what with stagnant wages for 35 years, it's hard to even keep up with the regular bills. But, I certainly don't feel poor. Maybe I should!

It doesn't mean fancy cars and fancy houses or trips around the world, but maybe it does to some.

My point is that rich people (who usually don't live on wages alone) have a lot more tax breaks than the middle-class. We, the middle-class, support corporate welfare, and welfare for the poor. And, we don't have too much money beyond wages in order to get tax breaks.

I think that's why McCain said 5 million, because he's not thinking in terms of wages - he doesn't live only on wages, like most of us.
What the bottom line is what you (not you, just in general) consider "rich". I do not consider $250,000 oh wait it has been changed to $150,000 "rich" at least not where I live.

The McCain's have every right to THEIR money and they DID pay what they were suppose to. It is disturbing to me how many people begrudge others success and just want to get handed OTHER people's money. There are MANY millionaire Democrats if they are so keen on Obama's tax the rich plan let then front the cash.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:44 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
just curious but did you pay $1.1 million in taxes or anything close? lol. your complaing about a 3% in different, but yet she probably paid $1.09 million more in taxes than you...you can deduct your taxes too. are you confused by this notion? start going to a CPA and not some HS educated accountant. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE.
A percentage of income is a percentage of income, period. REGARDLESS of the actual dollar amount. SURE, Cindy probably paid $1.09 mil more than the OP, but THAT'S BECAUSE SHE MADE THAT MUCH MORE AND CAN AFFORD TO.
A smaller amount of money (the 3% more that the OP paid in taxes) may seem insignificant to Cindy McCain, but to normal people it amounts to lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies