Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 02:44 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Not according to Anvil Joe's latest speech:

BIDEN BLOWS FUZZY TAX MATH - New York Post
He said, as an example, that the tax cut should go to people who make $150,000 a year, not people making 1.4 million a year. That is not incorrect and you misconstrued that statement. The $200,000 was a gaffe on his part. You can read ANYWHERE else that it's $250,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 06:04 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,442,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
You are incorrect. Please do not spread your ignorance. it is anyone who makes over "$250,000." Big difference.

Ok so tell me who is right Obama or Biden?

Obama says $250,000 not "rich" where I live BTW

or

Biden that says it is $150,000

Old 10-29-2008, 06:48 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
Ok so tell me who is right Obama or Biden?

Obama says $250,000 not "rich" where I live BTW

or

Biden that says it is $150,000
Do you have problems with reading comprehension? Re-read post #81...

Biden said AS AN EXAMPLE (I'm paraphrasing) we should be giving tax cuts to someone making $150,000 rather than someone making $1.4 million. Understand now?

ANd yes, it is people making over $250,000 that would be paying a little more. If you don't think $250,000 is QUITE well-off, then you are living in a different universe. I live in New York City. One of the most expensive cities in the US. $250,000 goes quite a long way here.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:08 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,893 times
Quote:

Biden said AS AN EXAMPLE (I'm paraphrasing) we should be giving tax cuts to someone making $150,000 rather than someone making $1.4 million. Understand now?

ANd yes, it is people making over $250,000 that would be paying a little more. If you don't think $250,000 is QUITE well-off, then you are living in a different universe. I live in New York City. One of the most expensive cities in the US. $250,000 goes quite a long way here.
It does?

You live in Manhatten? Do you have any bedrooms? Do you have kids? How many? PS or private? Do you have a car? If so, where do you park it and for how much/month?

You are obviously speaking of a different NYC than I am. $250K may go a long way if you are single or spend everything you make or live in a rent-controlled unit your great-great Grammy left you...or don't have any kids or aren't saving money for your own retirement or not setting anything else aside for your future.

Nope, not where I live. $250K is not RICH by any means. Doing ok, yes. A lot of money to throw around or waste? Nope. Not if you take care of your own.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:26 PM

542 posts, read 1,685,321 times
Quote:

Actually, its $250,000 for joint filers and $200,000 for individual filers. And many of the additional proposed tax credits actually phase out at much lower levels.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:42 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,250,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marblmom View Post
Cindy McCain reported earnings of $4.2 million is 2007. Yet she was able to deduct over $500,000, and paid 26% of her income in federal income taxes. Why am I taxed at 28%, and she is paying 26%? John McCain paid 21%. And, I pay a higher % of my income to social security. Why shouldn't Cindy & John pay more? I am so glad that Obama will finally make the wealthiest in our country pay their fair share.

Cindy McCain Tax Returns: Reports $4.2 Million In 2007 Income

Wahhhh....wahhhhh

I am pretty sure, no wait, I am positive, that I had many more girlfriends than you in my 20's (I know, because women can't stand whiny guys). So because I had more girlfriends, should I have shared some with you since you were unable to get as many on your own??? Or should I have just given some to the really ugly dude who was too lazy to shower since he couldn't get a single girl on his own?

Yep, when the voters realize they can vote themselves money, it's the end of the Republic as we know it.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:

$250k is not quite well off...it is income that is claimed from a Subchapter S or an LLC Corporation, and that money is not put into the pockets of the individual who has to claim it on his tax. Read the tons of posts I have put out about how small business finance works and you'll be a little better educated to have this debate. For now, you're one of the millions of ignorant Americans who have no clue how the finances of a small business works, as indicated by your completely off base post.

I've explained it too many times to repost it here again. The information is out there, if you're willing to look for and read it. Yeah, if you're bringing home $250k in your pockets at the end of the year, I agree you're doing quite well, but that is not the case with milions of small business owners who have to claim $250k and more from their LLC's and Subchapter S's. That money stays in the company, they just have to pay the tax on it as the owners. Please educate yourself fully on these matters..it will serve you well in the future.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Nice try but usually contractors pull permits, not home owners.

As for the property value, so now your an appraiser? What should it be, Why? Ohh, your just babbling again..
The only time a homeowner pulls a permit on a renovation is usually when the contractor is not licensed, and therefore he convinces the homeowner to pull the permit by saying it will cost less or something. In Florida, if you are building your own personal home as a primary residence, you are allowed to pull your own permit, but most don't.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:00 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,829,278 times
Quote:
Cindy McCain reported earnings of $4.2 million is 2007. Yet she was able to deduct over $500,000, and paid 26% of her income in federal income taxes. Why am I taxed at 28%, and she is paying 26%? John McCain paid 21%. And, I pay a higher % of my income to social security. Why shouldn't Cindy & John pay more? I am so glad that Obama will finally make the wealthiest in our country pay their fair share.

My arent we greedy!
Perhaps anticipating higher income, she overpaid her taxes over the year by more than $950,000. She applied that amount to her 2008 estimated tax.

So how much money would she have to pay to make you feel better.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:18 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,893 times
Quote:

What did she get? Special consideration? From the IRS?

So someone who makes 2 million a year falls into a lesser tax bracket than someone who makes $150k per year?

I've over-paid my quarterly taxes (do you know what those are?) ...doesn't mean I'm not still TAXED at the same rate the next year. I just don't get interest from the goverment...like they demand should I UNDERPAY by $.50.

The people at the Huffington post need to stop huffing.

They have no freaking clue. And you don't either - so give it up.

You are a classic example when it comes to those with no clue and are riding Obama hard. You have NO clue and neither does anyone else who thinks for one second that the federal government picks and chooses who they're going to tax and at what percent.

You really and honestly think that some person who made a few million more than you did paid LESS in taxes than you did?

You're just a sheep.

Baaa-baaa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies