Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 08:31 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,485,182 times

Advertisements

Can I get a relevant, intelligent answer here? I'll restate my question:

Quote:
Originally posted by mackinac81
I was wondering yesterday why liberal talk radio is never nearly as successful as conservative talk radio. Do liberals prefer other media to the talk radio format, or does NPR suffice for most? I'd love to hear any answers from liberals or conservatives.

Mackinac
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 08:32 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,612,766 times
Because liberals are too busy working and solving problems to tune in to such garbage. Most people that are meaningfully employed don't have time to listen to Rush Limbaugh and his fake outrage. Apparently conservatives have too much time on their hands.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:33 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I was wondering yesterday why liberal talk radio is never nearly as successful as conservative talk radio. Do liberals prefer other media to the talk radio format, or does NPR suffice for most? I'd love to hear any answers from liberals or conservatives.

Mackinac
This is speculative and flippant, but I think it is because they are so interested in being angry about other peoples opinions that they are all listening to the conservative stations. *chuckle*

Old 11-06-2008, 08:33 AM

216 posts, read 290,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
First, I don't think main stream media (MSM) intentionally skews their news to the left in some sort of conspiracy theory like the the conservative talk show hosts would like you to believe. I think its more that MSM reports on things that change in our world. Things that change in our world are inherently progressive and are identifed as liberal and/or from the left.

By definition, conservative views are traditional views, things that don't change and have stayed the same. Not really good fodder for news. Why bother reporting on something that doesn't change?

Therefore, conservative talk radio has had to do something to make their news interesting. They make their news interesting by taking an anti-liberal/anti-progressive stance. If you listen to conservative talk radio it all about how the left wants to change things and why this is a bad thing if you have conservative views. The conservative views themselves aren't the news, the news is that the left wants to changes these views. Its ironic that there would not be conservative talk radio if there wasn't a liberal left to disagree with!
I agree completely.

I've tried listening and watching some of the conservative TV and talk-radio (just for a different point of view), but all they do is whine, whine, and more whining. I just can't take it! It's like having a nagging mate in your life, who wants it! But I guess there's an audience for almost anything.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:02 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatinNJ View Post
I agree completely.

I've tried listening and watching some of the conservative TV and talk-radio (just for a different point of view), but all they do is whine, whine, and more whining. I just can't take it! It's like having a nagging mate in your life, who wants it! But I guess there's an audience for almost anything.
And yet I've listened to left radio and felt the same way. So maybe the truth lies somewhere in between those experiences. That for part of the reason is because we disagree with their views and so any question to our own acceptance of conditions are considered pointless rants or whines.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:22 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,798,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post

Mackinac
The only liberal talk radio I've heard was down in Oregon and it was a bunch of moonbat conspiracy theory garbage. Mostly people calling in to talk about how they wanted to waterboard the current administration to figure out what really happened on 9/11/01. Somebody also called in about how the human population needed to be thinned out because there were too many for the environment to support.

Maybe that has something to do with it.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:25 AM

609 posts, read 1,175,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
Because liberals are too busy working and solving problems to tune in to such garbage. Most people that are meaningfully employed don't have time to listen to Rush Limbaugh and his fake outrage. Apparently conservatives have too much time on their hands.
could you please show me a stat or some sort of study that shows this? or were you jsut making some dumb simple remark? kinda like |oh hes strong and works out so he must be dumb because he doesnt ahve time to study"

Old 11-06-2008, 09:33 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,243,082 times
"Conservative" talk shows appeal to the lowest (ie stupidest, most vulgar, most brutal, most ignorant, most hateful, most violent) common denominator. The World Wrestling Federation has a much larger audience than Masterpiece Theater.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:37 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,797,311 times
I don't get the appeal of talk radio period. As others have stated, a lot of whining and it is all the fault of (Insert Democrats or Republicans depending on the program) and one side is all Evil and the other side is all Noble. Kind of simplistic and repetitive.

Maybe the fact that generally speaking conservatives enjoy seeing the world in black and white stereotypes and liberals tend to see more grey in many complex issues.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:05 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
What I don't like about political talk radio is the fact it is radio.

I like to see someone's eyes and body language when they talk, sometimes they tell an entirely different story than the words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies