Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 01:13 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,085,163 times

Advertisements

Liberal radio generally has poorer production values than conservative radio, either because 1) they have less money 2) they haven't been on the air that long, so they don't really "get" radio 3) they run a disorganized, rambling show (Al Franken), which you cannot do in radio and still hold listeners. Also on some shows like Amy Goodman "Democracy Now" there are technical problems like the sound dropping out suddenly, losing interviewees, etc. which is the kiss of death.

Political radio is an entertainment product, not high learning. If liberal radio wants to attract more listeners it needs to have more funny sound effects and routines like Laura Ingraham's "Butt Monkey" routine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 01:14 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,029,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
-The conservative point of view is based on common sense and when people listen to it they constantly find themselves saying "yeah that makes sense!"

-The liberal point of view is based on feelings and feelings do not lend themselves to that kind of forum. Simply put: "Thinking with your heart" cannot be expressed in a logical fashion.
Exactly! When I hear conservative news and commentary, it feels like a breath of fresh air because it makes more logical sense than the typical leftist emotionally-charged rants.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:57 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,357,932 times
Au Contraire! (to the above post, and to the post to which it was a response to). . .
"Liberal" talk radio does not "skew the truth" the way conservative talk radio does, it tends to use humor rather than "incitement to anger and hate", the way conservative talk radio does. The one thing that conservative talk radio does VERY well, and the main reason that it is sucessfull, is that it plays upon the fears of less well educated, and those who do not want to do their own "thinking". I remember clearly, several years ago, having dinner with a friend of my sisters from Chicago. I asked her if conservative talk radio in Chicago was as "toxic" as it is here in Phoenix, and her reply was "I don't know. . . I listen to Rush Limbaugh so I don't have to think!". . . That my friends is a TRUE STORY!

Old 12-13-2008, 02:09 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,487,419 times
For liberal talk radio to succeed, all that has to happen is that liberals turn en masse into the same sort of lemming-like follower-wannabe's that today's conservatives have become. All this leftie insistence on incorporating actual facts and independent thinking into things is just ruining broadcast prospects entirely...

Old 12-13-2008, 02:14 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,909 times
Because slobs like Stephanie Miller are so far from center theyd even crucify Hillary Clinton. Liberal talk radio talks s*** on family values and hard working people. Conservatives may not agree with certain things but they maintain a bit of respect and common decency.

How can you criticize family values? These liberals are people with no roots, no loyalties, and no sense of who they are. They just jump on the bandwagons to criticize others while on their endless soul search. They even bash middle of the road guys like Joe Lieberman. Last time I checked they are just armchair quarterbacks making fun of people who have actually done something. Liberal talk radio is horrendous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I was wondering yesterday why liberal talk radio is never nearly as successful as conservative talk radio. Do liberals prefer other media to the talk radio format, or does NPR suffice for most? I'd love to hear any answers from liberals or conservatives.

Mackinac

Old 12-13-2008, 02:20 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,572,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I was wondering yesterday why liberal talk radio is never nearly as successful as conservative talk radio. Do liberals prefer other media to the talk radio format, or does NPR suffice for most? I'd love to hear any answers from liberals or conservatives.

Mackinac
Liberal talk radio hasn't found a Rush Limbaugh. You can say what you want about him, but the fact of the matter is he is an entertainer first. The same is true with Michael Savage. Rush Limbaugh and Michael Savage sound very pompous, yet they draw a lot of people in the center along with even some on the left because if you actually listen to their shows it becomes apparent it's at least in part schtick. This is what draws people from the center and the left. Rhandi Rhodes and Al Franken, on the other hand sound plain pompous.

Another thing to consider is this. Conservative people are less open minded than liberal people. Therefore, conversvatives are less likely to listen to an opposing viewpoint in general. This diminishes the potential audience for liberal radio as a much larger portion of the right is not willing to listen to a lefty show. Conversely, since libearls are generally more open minded, they will potentially listen to a righty show. One of my good friends is extremely liberal and a huge Rush Limbaugh fan. And when you consider Rush's audience is some 13 to 15 million people a week you have to figure my friend is not alone.

Finally, Rhodes and Franken, who I would consider to be the two main names one would think of when it comes to left radio are Jewish. I believe this also diminishes the potential right audience.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:23 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
First, I don't think main stream media (MSM) intentionally skews their news to the left in some sort of conspiracy theory like the the conservative talk show hosts would like you to believe. I think its more that MSM reports on things that change in our world. Things that change in our world are inherently progressive and are identifed as liberal and/or from the left.

By definition, conservative views are traditional views, things that don't change and have stayed the same. Not really good fodder for news. Why bother reporting on something that doesn't change?

Therefore, conservative talk radio has had to do something to make their news interesting. They make their news interesting by taking an anti-liberal/anti-progressive stance. If you listen to conservative talk radio it all about how the left wants to change things and why this is a bad thing if you have conservative views. The conservative views themselves aren't the news, the news is that the left wants to changes these views. Its ironic that there would not be conservative talk radio if there wasn't a liberal left to disagree with!

"Things that change in our world are inherently progressive and are identifed as liberal and/or from the left."

What is billed as "change" is done so to prevent to typical uninformed voter from realizing that, like conservatism, liberalism doesn't really change. For decades following the '70s, liberalism has been a four-letter word in American politics. So now it is referred to as "change" instead of liberalism. Some people even take it a step farther and call it progressivism. OK, whatever. There is nothing new under the Sun. We now have a President Elect reneging on the promises of a more progressive tone in Washington and all that "change" he talked about during the campaign because he realizes that the "change" he got elected on was just a marketing ploy aimed at those who were unable to discern a scam in the making. So we went from "it's new and improved", or "change", to the bait and switch that we are now seeing. It's all marketing to the unsophisticated liberals who think they know something the rest of us don't.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:32 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
If liberal radio wants to attract more listeners it needs to have more funny sound effects and routines like Laura Ingraham's "Butt Monkey" routine.
Oy.

If that's what it'll take for liberal radio to succeed, I think liberal radio is doomed.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:34 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,081,835 times
As for this liberal, I am generally working hard or playing hard and really don't have time to listen.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:40 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Liberals question authority much more than conservatives do. Part of the nature of conservatism (at least as much of it exists today) is to "fall in line". It's much easier for conservatives to rally around a leader.

The campaign between Obama and McCain was highly unusual. When was the last time the Democrats were almost unanimously supporting a candidate, while at the same time, the Republicans were in relative disarray?

The fact that McCain got 46% of the vote in spite of the political environment, the haphazard campaign he ran, etc., shows us how loyal Republicans are.

Here's a metaphor: Democrats are like cats; Republicans are like dogs.

Take it as you wish!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies