Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 05:14 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Refute my argument, then. Pretend to be Joe Biden, in spite of your intellectual resemblance to Paul Reubens.
No, that's okay. I don't take it all so seriously. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 05:15 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
in spite of your intellectual resemblance to Paul Reubens.
Who are you talking about? Pee Wee Herman?

Old 12-15-2008, 05:21 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
No, that's okay. I don't take it all so seriously. Thanks.
You're welcome. Keep it light.

Safer that way.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:27 PM

37,169 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:

I notice that you have chosen not to address the "fairness doctrine" issue.
There is no current "fairness doctrine" with force of law. Why should it even be a topic? Is it because some Jack Boot started a rumor that Obama was going to shut down the right wing media?

I always figured the right-wingers listened to Rush because they either were unable to read or too damned lazy to do so.

We left-wingers are constantly on the prowl for news from a lot of sources, and simply don't have time to listen to some silly ass talking head. We don't need to have the world pre-digested and have someone tell us what to think about it and how to express it.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:31 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
There is no current "fairness doctrine" with force of law. Why should it even be a topic? Is it because some Jack Boot started a rumor that Obama was going to shut down the right wing media?

I always figured the right-wingers listened to Rush because they either were unable to read or too damned lazy to do so.

We left-wingers are constantly on the prowl for news from a lot of sources, and simply don't have time to listen to some silly ass talking head. We don't need to have the world pre-digested and have someone tell us what to think about it and how to express it.
I applaud you. I am especially heartened by your steadfast reluctance to worship Stephen Colbert and Jon Lieberman, or to begin most sentences with "I heard a report on NPR that said..."

Bravo. Prowl on!

Old 12-15-2008, 05:31 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Conservative talk shows host have never mentioned a conspiracy. More like irresponsibility.

Wrong!
All conservative talk radio has to do is point out the complete stupidity and hypocrisy that the left exhibits every day and BINGO! huge ratings.
Criticizing liberal ideology is as easy as trying to hit the broadside of a barn!
Much like I just destroyed your post.
Just because you think you "destroyed" their post, doesn't make it so. Just like Hannity and the other uneducated right-wing talk-show hosts, they think that just because they talk louder that they are more correct, when usually they are quite far off base.

It's hilarious how you said that conservative talk shows have never mentioned a conspiracy when that's pretty much all they talk about: "the liberal left is out to destroy America". I am a Libertarian, and I never vote Democrat or Green, but NPR is far more intellectual and accurate than anything you'll ever hear on Fox News or a right-wing talk show.

Calling something stupid does not mean it's stupid...most of the time when you just say something is stupid it's because you don't understand it.

Media keeps us free, without it we're just like China. If all news stations were like Fox News, how could you distinguish us from China, aside from their superior math and science skills?

Old 12-15-2008, 05:32 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,240,810 times
F#X Nazi News is the WWF of "News". They appeal to the lowest common denominator. The right wing low brows (not to be redundant) would rather watch body slams, hair pulling, car crashes, truck pulls and foaming at the mouth phony outrage commentators than an intelligent discussion. Intelligence is so liberal elitist and boring.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:39 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post

Exactly. That part about "what to think" is how I see many on the far right, they let idiot talking heads from Rush the clown to Pat Robertson TELL them WHAT to think. They religiously follow these idiots like lemmings.

On the other hand, real adults use critical thinking skills so they know "how to think" and then draw their own conclusions and make up their OWN minds for themselves. Many of us so-called liberals are in this group. I guess I'm a liberal for voting for Obama, though financially I'm VERY conservative but socially progressive. I resent the way the right has thrown around the word 'liberal' as if it were a sin to be one. Nothing sinful about wanting the working class, and THEIR kids, to have a doctor when they're ill. The idiots on the far right understand the fascist tactic of demonizing the enemy so you can ship them off to a death camp at some time, and the idiots like Rush the clown have demonized 'liberals' (and the very word itself) for far too long. The real demons are on the far right.

Generally, the terms liberal and conservative have no value anymore, like the word "sale" or "love." The words are so misused and abused as to be invalid, and to keep referring to ourselves or to each other in these terms is pointless.

Liberal talk radio does succeed. It's main focus is on truth, and not on be lying gasbags like those on the far right.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:43 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
bek its much easier to whip people up with hate. and a lot easier to make people laugh if they can see you. we didnt need radio---- we had tina fey. thank you tina.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:06 PM

37,169 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
I applaud you. I am especially heartened by your steadfast reluctance to worship Stephen Colbert and Jon Lieberman, or to begin most sentences with "I heard a report on NPR that said..."

Bravo. Prowl on!
You might be surprised. I read William Buckley, Maureen Dowd, George Will, Molly Ivins, the NYT, and the National review.

I have even listened to Rush on occasion. Any general will tell you that it pays to know the enemy.

I draw the line at Hannity and O'Reilly and Michael Moore. They screech too much for my taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies