Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 05:33 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Can I get a relevant, intelligent answer here? I'll restate my question:

Thanks
I wish I knew. We had air america where I used to live, but it went off the air. My complaint was that they didn't incorporate local news and traffic. I'm sure that's not the problem everywhere. Maybe it is because liberals can think for them selves and don't need a talk show host to do it for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 05:35 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,300,389 times
Quote:
I was wondering yesterday why liberal talk radio is never nearly as successful as conservative talk radio. Do liberals prefer other media to the talk radio format, or does NPR suffice for most? I'd love to hear any answers from liberals or conservatives.

Mackinac
The answer is simple: According to one national poll (and I have forgotten who does it) which is done annually, almost 70% of Americans identify themselves as "conservative" (at least to some degree).

This means that most people are not interested in listening to the B.S. from the left.

There was one guy that was on for a time (Jim Hightower), and I caught his show a few times. I could not stand listening to that guy. He was really bad Extreme leftist. And all he did was bash Reagan and Bush. Blamed all the countries ills on them. He's gone now. Thank God!

Old 01-18-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
That is complete and utter BS and you know it! Liberals do not believe in truth, they believe in keeping people down with thier ideas. To promote any other group OTHER than Americans. Things like the fairness doctrine and affermative action are the kind of ideals they stick to
No, I think cons look out only for those like them - white, rich, straight. Liberals look out for the little guy - everyone else.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The answer is simple: According to one national poll (and I have forgotten who does it) which is done annually, almost 70% of Americans identify themselves as "conservative" (at least to some degree).

This means that most people are not interested in listening to the B.S. from the left.

There was one guy that was on for a time (Jim Hightower), and I caught his show a few times. I could not stand listening to that guy. He was really bad Extreme leftist. And all he did was bash Reagan and Bush. Blamed all the countries ills on them. He's gone now. Thank God!
What was that 70% up to on election day?

Old 01-18-2009, 06:02 PM

273 posts, read 342,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Not that you are interested in being empathetic, but that is exactly my experience when I listen to:
limbaugh
hannity
oreilly

except substitute Reagan and Bush with both Clintons, Carter, Obama.

but as I said, you are probably not interested in taking a different perspective.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:01 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,845,992 times
Quote:
I was wondering yesterday why liberal talk radio is never nearly as successful as conservative talk radio. Do liberals prefer other media to the talk radio format, or does NPR suffice for most? I'd love to hear any answers from liberals or conservatives.

Mackinac
I think it's because liberal talk radio focuses to much on facts , and conservative talk is based more on outrageous comments and stirring up anger which is obviously more entertaining! Does anyone really take any of those right wing talk show host seriously, I doubt it!

Old 01-18-2009, 09:06 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,542 times
Quote:
Originally posted by lamexican
Does anyone really take any of those right wing talk show host seriously, I doubt it!
Oh, I think you'd be surprised

Old 01-18-2009, 09:25 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,230,133 times
Liberal radio does work. You have NPR and in select cities the Pacifica Foundation (San Francisco, LA, Houston, NYC and DC).

Old 01-18-2009, 09:41 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,208,279 times
We get Air America out my way and I do listen to it often.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:51 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,204 times
Quote:

Mackinac
I'm at a loss to understand what people are doing most of the time when listening to the radio. I turn it on when I'm driving around running errands. That's 2-3 hours a week max. NPR has some great shows on Saturday and that errand day for me. Car Talk and Wait Wait, Don't tell me pretty much is all I have time for.

If I drove a truck for a living I might listen to radio more, I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies