Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2008, 05:02 AM

709 posts, read 1,499,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Agree especially with the bolded parts. This is why I'm a conservative republican ... Liberal ideology with it's emotional rantings leave me high and dry. Conservative ideas tend to be more common sense and less emotionally driven.
Thanks, but conservative ideas in practice have been just as bad. You've had tremendous republican control of the government 2002 - 2006, and what has been accomplished? Government spending went up, no deregulation was accomplished, civil liberties were degraded even further, separation of church and state declined, Sarbanes-Oxley, the "ownership society" artificial housing bubble, corruption, unrestricted executive power, etc, etc, etc. Oh, and a multi-trillion-dollar war based on lies, which all main-steam media, not just conservative talk radio, defended 100% when it mattered. In terms of public perception, Bush and modern conservatism has done more damage to the cause of free trade and capitalism than any lefty ever could have! And the way Ron Paul has been mistreated during the 2008 primaries has put the final nail in the conservative coffin as far as I'm concerned!

Last edited by Alex Libman; 12-28-2008 at 05:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 05:08 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,144,492 times
Savage is the only one worth a darn! He is hilarious and often right on the money. He should not be lumped in with the Leprohan, Hush Bimbo, and Sean Vanity!

Old 12-28-2008, 05:11 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,921,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post
Thanks, but conservative ideas in practice have been just as bad. You've had tremendous republican control of the government 2002 - 2006, and what has been accomplished? Government spending went up, no deregulation was accomplished, civil liberties were degraded even further, separation of church and state declined, Sarbanes-Oxley, the "ownership society" artificial housing bubble, corruption, unrestricted executive power, etc, etc, etc. Oh, and a multi-trillion-dollar war based on lies, which all main-steam media, not just conservative talk radio, defended 100% when it mattered. In terms of public perception, Bush has done more damage to the cause of free trade and capitalism than any lefty ever could have!
i am in no way defending the iraq war, but to be fair the bailouts (engineered by the democratic party) cost more than the entire iraq war. in fact, crunching the inflation adjusted numbers, we find the bailout has cost more than all of these big budget government expenditures – combined:

• Marshall Plan: Cost: $12.7 billion, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $115.3 billion
• Louisiana Purchase: Cost: $15 million, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $217 billion
• Race to the Moon: Cost: $36.4 billion, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $237 billion
• S&L Crisis: Cost: $153 billion, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $256 billion
• Korean War: Cost: $54 billion, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $454 billion
• The New Deal: Cost: $32 billion (Est), Inflation Adjusted Cost: $500 billion (Est)
• Invasion of Iraq: Cost: $551b, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $597 billion
• Vietnam War: Cost: $111 billion, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $698 billion
• NASA: Cost: $416.7 billion, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $851.2 billion

TOTAL: $3.92 trillion

Old 12-28-2008, 05:16 AM

709 posts, read 1,499,064 times
Oh, forgot about those. But many republicans supported the bailouts as well, including the executive branch... The bottom line is this: all government is bad, not just its left brand or its right brand.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:18 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,921,177 times
i certainly agree that neither side is representing the american public very well now....

Old 12-28-2008, 05:40 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,544,430 times
Alex, just because a politician does not mean he/she is conservative either fiscally or socially.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:39 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,070,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I was wondering yesterday why liberal talk radio is never nearly as successful as conservative talk radio. Do liberals prefer other media to the talk radio format, or does NPR suffice for most? I'd love to hear any answers from liberals or conservatives.

Mackinac
One might reasonably ask, why is talk radio the only medium where conservatives succeed? What's special about radio? I have TV, print, the Internet, and radio from where I can get information. Of all of those, radio is the least effective means to reach me. I only listen when in the car and I only drive about 6,000 miles a year.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:17 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Radio is now often the medium of choice for a persons daily news. They listen at work (and perhaps stream on the Internet). The listen in the car (and now with Satellite radio - even more selections). Newspaper circulations are down nationwide. TV viewership (news) gives only limited news as their (the networks) times are limited.

As for Liberal Radio - they actually have a variety of talk show hosts on Sirrius including Randi Rhodes, Ed Schultz etc.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:43 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,087,778 times
IMO it's because the dems think for themselves and do not need some blowhard on the radio telling them what to think,unlike the neoCONS who wander around lost without their talk show "entertainers".

Old 12-28-2008, 07:22 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,632,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
IMO it's because the dems think for themselves and do not need some blowhard on the radio telling them what to think,unlike the neoCONS who wander around lost without their talk show "entertainers".

yeah--dems need visual stimuli to tell them what to think. They are to stupid to think on thier own, so they need fools like Al Franken and Micael Moore to provide them with visual propoganda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies