Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 03:01 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Paranoid much?
Non sequitur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 03:02 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Non sequitur.
That's what you think.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:12 PM

241 posts, read 435,742 times
Liberal Talk Radio doesn't work out because we're too busy owning the Internet.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:33 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Because almost every media outlet, print and electronic skews their news to the left.
All media reflects the views of its listeners, viewers, or readers.

No editor, publisher, or program director is stupid enough to do anything that will impact an audience negatively enough to cause them to look for a new outlet, nor will they commit any act that will negatively impact revenue.

It's not about ideology, it's about money. If you feel they are left wing, perhaps you are in the minority.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
That's what you think.
It is indeed. Think about it yourself.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
It is indeed. Think about it yourself.
My impression is that you believe that Republicans are essentially a persecuted minority in the news media, and that the reason conservative radio is successful is because it's the only medium that the liberals have allowed you to have. Right?

Old 12-15-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
All media reflects the views of its listeners, viewers, or readers.

If that were true, no liberals would listen to talk radio, nor any conservatives to rest of the chattering fools in the media.

The whole point of media used to be to show some courage by challenging the beliefs and prejudices of its listeners and readers. Today they seem more interested in parroting the talking points of left and right. To the extent to which our intrepid wordsmiths do indeed fit your description is something to abhor, not to celebrate.

I know I'm expressing a minority point of view, but I don't care, because I'm right.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I know I'm expressing a minority point of view, but I don't care, because I'm right.
You must have taken Sarah Palin's course on how to win a political debate.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
My impression is that you believe that Republicans are essentially a persecuted minority in the news media, and that the reason conservative radio is successful is because it's the only medium that the liberals have allowed you to have. Right?
Wrong. Since I do not identify either with Bush or the GOP, your wish to pigeonhole me is irrelevant -- hence my reference to the illogical nature of your initial jibe.

I would instead argue that talk radio is successful because there are a lot of right-wing people who find other media outlets inimical to their views.

I notice that you have chosen not to address the "fairness doctrine" issue. Might this be because you realize that it is an obvious attmept to quash the one media source not domnated by left-wing interests, and do not want the topic raised lest it threaten your own partisan interests? Or is it that you are not familiar with the topic or have simply not thought about it very much? I do hope it is the latter; otherwise, one might be tempted to think that you are simply a left-wing version of the close-minded right-wingers for whom you demonstrate such predictable scorn...

Old 12-15-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
You must have taken Sarah Palin's course on how to win a political debate.
Refute my argument, then. Pretend to be Joe Biden, in spite of your intellectual resemblance to Paul Reubens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies