Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2008, 01:10 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,553,915 times

Advertisements

I would think that some gay people live the flamboyant, in-your-face, "gay parade" lifestyle because they grew up in a strictly religious home in which they were always put down and ridiculed for being who they really are. I can only imagine the relief gay people (especially guys, let's face it) would feel at finally being able to be themselves, to be among people who accept instead of condemn, who provide empathy instead of criticism, etc.

After a few years of that, they might be ready to not be so militant about it. They might even want to - gasp! - settle down, get married, and even raise a family. They become my neighbors, your neighbors, and we all live our lives accordingly. Why is this so scary for some people?! I seriously don't get it.

Being gay is not contagious. You can't catch it like the flu. By the same token, being gay is not a choice. How a person copes with being gay is a choice, and there are healthy and unhealthy ways of doing so. It's just as bad to run around and be promiscuous as it is to stay tucked away in the closet for fear of what family and friends will say.

If I had a choice between living next to a nice gay couple with kids vs. living next to a dysfunctional hetero couple who scream at each other day and night, guess who I'd choose? What two people do behind closed doors, as long as they're decent, good people, is none of my business.

By the way, my daughter is bisexual, but this is only a small part of her identity. She's graduating next month with a Bachelors degree in psychology, and she wants to go on and get her Masters, and maybe even her Ph.D. I'm so proud of her. When I think of everything she has accomplished, I'm amazed. Her sexual orientation is important to her obviously, but not to the exclusion of everything else. I think it's called "being a human being".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 01:18 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
If I had a choice between living next to a nice gay couple with kids vs. living next to a dysfunctional hetero couple who scream at each other day and night, guess who I'd choose?
I'm reminded of my hetero next-door-neighbor, who has practically begged me not to move because he's so worried about who might move in next to him.

I'm a quiet homo.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:01 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,197,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
Since it was YOU who asked,

Actually I do. A few of my family members are gay, my childhood guy (who is now a girl) friend and some of the coolest guys I know are gay. Your point?

It some ways yes, do they not?
Actually, that would be transgendered, not gay.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Ever been to a gay parade?
Pride Festivals are no more definitive of all gay people than after-prom behavior is of all adolescents.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
However, I do feel there is a lot to be said against what I feel is their deliberate attempt at forcing mainstream America to accept their lifestyle under the guise of being allowed to marry because it is their "civil right" as opposed to their original acceptance of civil unions which essentially provides the same "civil rights" as marriage.

The fictious claims of all special interest groups (including supporters of illegal immigration) who deceitully link/compare their struggles to the black civil rights movement is what I have a problem with simply based on the lack of parallels to justify it as such.

The antislavery movement of the 19th century gave birth to the women's rights/suffrage movement.
"Civil rights" isn't a concept exclusive to black Americans any more than it should be a right reserved to straight white American males.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
The company I worked for until last year offered health insurance for same sex couples living together. (I left the company, they still have this benefit)

Same company didn't offer health insurance for opposite sex couples living together.

How is this equitable?
Do those couples have the option of marrying, should they choose to?

Old 11-15-2008, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Just because you don't believe in the Bible does not mean that it is a fictional book.

Here is a secular reason: Homosexual sex is unnatural and deviates from the norm. Our bodies were not made for that type of activity. Homosexual sex does not lead to procreation either. There are also numerous health consequences of homosexual sex.
Guess infertile people and postmenopausal women (and their husbands) are out of luck, then, eh?

Old 11-15-2008, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Anal sex does not have to be practiced by heterosexuals, for homosexual men, besides oral sex, anal sex is the only other option you have.
Um...Lucky, I think you need to get out more.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:36 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
"Civil rights" isn't a concept exclusive to black Americans any more than it should be a right reserved to straight white American males.
Thank you for saying that. It's important for people to recognize that civil rights are for everyone.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Being a homosexual was listed on the DSM for many years, and technically still is on their list of disorders.
That's inaccurate.
Homosexuality, like a "wandering uterus" as an explanation for psychosis in women, was at one time considered a legitimate diagnosis. It is not now.
Homosexuality is not, in fact, listed in the current edition of the DSM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies