Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2010, 01:16 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,591,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Here in Minnesota we have been dealing with a smoking ban on restaurants and bars. The ban was struck down state-wide, except in the counties that surround Minneapolis/St. Paul. Many people are upset that smoking is not allowed in public places. I for one am extremely happy for this because I simply don't like the smell of cigarette smoke and all other types. My wife and kids have severe asthma so that is yet a more important reason for not wanting to be around the smoke.

Many people of course are whining that their rights are being taken away by these bans that have been in place for about a year now. My take on it is what about the rights of nonsmokers? What about the rights of people like my young kids who have asthma and can't go out to restaurants if there is a smoking section? It's a controversy where there are no winners...and everyone loses...like my mother-in-law who died due to smoking.
Quote:
Smoking is a disgusting, filthy habit that the public should not have to endure
So is drinking, but people still drink and drive in public with recorded deaths on the roadways and highways from traffic fatalities, yet there is no ban on this activity.
Please if you drink, don't drive. If you smoke, drive all day long! You're not hurting any one but yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 01:17 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,216,697 times
It is a disgusting filthy habit. The smell fouls the air we breath and it lingers upon those who do it. I hate the stench.
That said it really is none of my business and I have no right to try and force my views on those who like the habit.
I don't go to bars because I don't want to deal with it. I don't allow it in my home but allow guests to take it outside. To each their own.
If a resturant allows it go somewhere else. Why does anyone think they own the moral right to force their values on a fellow citizen?
I don't like cats. I will never own one. I would never tell anyone that they can't have a cat. Their cats come in my yard all the time. They force their choice upon me everyday. As much as I disagree with it I endure it.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:59 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,026,960 times
All smokers are not rude just as all eaters are not fat farting pigs nor all drinkers drunks.I enjoy growing,aging,curing and smoking tobacco.It is a very relaxing and rewarding hobby for me. plus I don't pay those silly taxes.Smoking is not the problem people are the problem

Old 12-12-2010, 02:01 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,936,480 times
Smoking does just not work anymore....and , It Is a good thing. I was a cigar smoker until last month , 50 years ( never smoked cigerettets). Now I have quit for good ( tonsil cancer)...recovery is painfull, very painfull, I face the problems everyday. I just got back from Mayo Clinic....they were wonderfull, but , I don't want to ever have to go through it again.
I quit drinking 6 years ago ( could not handle it anymore) , now the smoking has caught up to me, I know it would come someday..... Considering the harm to yourself , and the state laws that do not allow smoking anywhere indoors ( also some outdoors as well), it ain't worth it, just quit! I never went cheap ether 500.00 a month for imported cigars.......I wonder what I will spend that money on now....

Old 12-12-2010, 02:34 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,739 times
I am not a smoker and I do think it is a nasty habit. I also say 'to each his own' and if someone wants to be stupid enough to smoke that is their trip to take.

I do feel that smoking should not be allowed in restuarants. There is nothing more disgusting than enjoying a good meal and having to deal with a smoker light up near you. I am lucky in that smoking is now banned in all restuarants in my area. Makes eating out much more enjoyable!

Old 12-12-2010, 02:38 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,843,839 times
I am an ex smoker and I think a business should be allowed to allow smoking if they see fit. If it cost them business thats on them

I mean we do want to live in a free country dont we.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:47 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,733,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Here in Minnesota we have been dealing with a smoking ban on restaurants and bars. The ban was struck down state-wide, except in the counties that surround Minneapolis/St. Paul. Many people are upset that smoking is not allowed in public places. I for one am extremely happy for this because I simply don't like the smell of cigarette smoke and all other types. My wife and kids have severe asthma so that is yet a more important reason for not wanting to be around the smoke.

Many people of course are whining that their rights are being taken away by these bans that have been in place for about a year now. My take on it is what about the rights of nonsmokers? What about the rights of people like my young kids who have asthma and can't go out to restaurants if there is a smoking section? It's a controversy where there are no winners...and everyone loses...like my mother-in-law who died due to smoking.
Then it would be kinda dumb for you to go to those restaurants and bars, wouldn't it?

One person's "disgusting habit" is another person's choice for a relaxing time of enjoyment.

You have a choice. Don't take away other people's choice just because you want to control their lives.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I am an ex smoker and I think a business should be allowed to allow smoking if they see fit. If it cost them business thats on them

I mean we do want to live in a free country dont we.

Not really. A free country would allow us to have a choice. Our choices are rapidly diminishing.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzou View Post
Exactly! I couldn't careless if you smoke or not. I don't smoke anymore. It was on and off for awhile for me, but now i'm completely off cigarettes.

But I don't think others should have to sit in their own homes just to have a smoke. This argument was brought up before.

If smokers are not allowed to smoke in public, then I don't want to see anyone fat eat a candy bar in front of my face. Or I don't want anyone who has kids that **** themselves at any store that I shop at. You have bad gas? You best go home, I don't want to smell it.

Saying you can't smoke in public places like bars, restaurants, and bowling alleys, is the most retarded thing ever. That's just saying, if you smoke, you're not allowed to have a social life. And places like bars get most of their business from smokers, and so do bowling alleys.

And yes, it is disgusting sometimes, but it's no different than that fat kid that just shoved 6 twix in his mouth. I find that pretty disgusting, and a filthy habit.
You are correct.

I find cats disgusting. They shed hair all over the place and like their balls. I think all cat owners should be banned from restaurants and bars so that I don't have to deal with cat hair.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:57 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,584,333 times
There should be options...some bars should be able to allow smoking if most of their clientele smokes, for example. I was a NYC bartender when the smoking ban went into effect there, and it was sad to see the old guys who had been going there for 30 or 40 years to smoke, drink a scotch and listen to live jazz forced to abandon their tradition. They were none too happy about it, and business definitely went down for us. Smoking in restaurants is different IMO, because restaurants are for everyone, including kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies