Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 01:58 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,945,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miquel Westano View Post
Once the non smokers lose the first round it always goes to this. No one started out talking about the workplace. We were talking customers in bars and restaurants.

But if you apply for a job where smoking is allowed like in a bar, then how would you later have a right to demand it be stopped? Now I could see if you applied at a non smoking bar and they went smoking after you were hired. But even then, where did you get this right to work where you want idea? It is not in the Constitution anywhere that I can see.
it has nothing to do with specific right to work and everything to do with equality, discrimination , work laws , and access. just try bucking the system, we all should be on level grounds....lots of examples, just one is handicap axcess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 03:03 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
no , thats not reality. today its a state law in most states ,smoking is not allowed in the work place. i am aware of several shops where everyone on the floor smokes. in one case the company was over 100 years old.....would you want to risk the health of the company by not complying with the law?
What I would or would not do with my business is irrelevant to how others want to run theirs. Get it? Your mentality is that what someone else is doing with their business should somehow be a concern for me or you, it isn't.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:15 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
The smoking issue, both sides, is as non-partisan as it gets in the US.

There are no federal laws, sans the no smoking in federal buildings.

It's left up to the state and in many states, it's left up to the municipality.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:28 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
There is plenty of federal involvement:
FDA stings retailers for selling tobacco to minors | Reuters

Quote:
The Food and Drug Administration said inspectors had made 27,500 undercover checks, many of which involved sending minors to stores to buy cigarettes. The undercover operations resulted in hundreds of warning letters to retailers.
There was a brief period in my state (WA) where the FDA announced that it was going to commence running entrapments of grocery and convenience clerks under the Clinton admin, but AFAIK they were booted by state and local authorities who had already called dibs on this source of fine revenue.

They got a friend of mine once, a laid-off Boeing engineer who was working at a convenience store rather than collecting unemployment. They sent in a tall girl holding a baby, and he sold her a pack of smokes, figuring that she was well over 18. Busted....!

Old 03-27-2015, 03:47 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miquel Westano View Post
So why isn't your opinion that you can just stay away from places that allow it and let the market decide instead of the government? Why doesn't the business owner get to decide who he/she wants to cater to? I don't have any interest in debating health, fire codes or courtesy. I have an interest in debating freedom and I want to know why you think a person that opens their own business with their own money, time and risk can't decide themselves who to allow to participate or not in a legal activity.

I think the reason is; anti smokers have to feel like they are superior. The believe they have this right to tell others what to do because somehow they are smarter. It is not enough to stay away from places they don't like. Nope, they have to force everyone else to give them their way. Bottom line is, you are not forced to eat, drink or hang out anywhere you don't want to. If enough people avoid a business it will adapt to the marketplace or it will go out of business. That's why we live in a free market society. It encourages business and allows people to succeed. As opposed to most other countries where the peasants work for the king.
Because the Big Government Nanny State Advocates want to control your life in any way they can.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Lots of such habits ;IMO. I don't smoke also.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:21 PM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Here in Minnesota we have been dealing with a smoking ban on restaurants and bars. The ban was struck down state-wide, except in the counties that surround Minneapolis/St. Paul. Many people are upset that smoking is not allowed in public places. I for one am extremely happy for this because I simply don't like the smell of cigarette smoke and all other types. My wife and kids have severe asthma so that is yet a more important reason for not wanting to be around the smoke.

Many people of course are whining that their rights are being taken away by these bans that have been in place for about a year now. My take on it is what about the rights of nonsmokers? What about the rights of people like my young kids who have asthma and can't go out to restaurants if there is a smoking section? It's a controversy where there are no winners...and everyone loses...like my mother-in-law who died due to smoking.
Where are all the legal pot smokers going to smoke pot?
Ciggys are evil and smoke harmful, pot smoke good...go figure

Old 03-27-2015, 04:37 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,178,472 times
When one hears how hard it is to beat the tobacco habit, I have to wonder if the junkies have ever really tried?

I was a user for decades, smoking and chewing. The local gummint raised the taxes, I relaized that tax was entirely voluntary and I quit. It was easier than acquiring the habit to begin with, all you have to do is not-buy-it. Stay out the tobacco check out line and don't go to the counter.Nobody will slip some under the door while you're sleeping. It is more of an act of will to go buy some than it is to drop the junk entirely.

Now don't get me wrong here, if you do want to smoke, that's fine. The state has no business dictating to private businesses where or where you cannot smoke, as customers and employees are free to choose smoke free establishments. Yes, even employees, unless they signed a writ of manumission. Yeah, but we have to save ourselves from ourselves. eh?

Old 03-27-2015, 05:28 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,945,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
What I would or would not do with my business is irrelevant to how others want to run theirs. Get it? Your mentality is that what someone else is doing with their business should somehow be a concern for me or you, it isn't.
O' so wrong you are.....Have you been living in a cave ? I have been running my own business all my life, never an employee ( except a few years learning the trade so to speak ). Any business owner would be stupid not to listen to what they can do to make the business grow, let alone breaking the law these days.So, its not irrelevant. .....I know the feeling, up in till a few years ago I smoked 3- 4 cigars a day for over 40 years . I get what you are trying to say, and its all about you wanting to do whatever you want as if not doing so would effect your freedom, right ? I felt that way too , especially when you could smoke cigs. but not cigars, that was unfair , but all those years i only smoked in my closed office and at home and in my car , never in public like a bar or restaurant....or an airplane...I quit because of tonsil cancer, 5 years ago.
I can see you have not been the CEO of a business , name me one major competitive operations that is not concerned about their bottom line. We all learn from the mistakes from the past, when we do not listen , we go out of business...... But , lets forget about all that for a minute, lets just look at the law, its stacked against you ether way. Your time of making choices on the tobacco issue has left the building...

Old 03-27-2015, 06:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Any business owner would be stupid not to listen to what they can do to make the business grow,
You are trying to dictate what will make the business grow, it is the market that decides what will make a business grow. Whether having a smoking or non-smoking environment is going to increase business is entirely dependent on the clientele and the business you are trying to attract. There is a demand for places to allow smoking, if I was able to open a smoking bar in an area that had none I wouldn't have enough room for people.

Quote:
I can see you have not been the CEO of a business ,name me one major competitive operations that is not concerned about their bottom line.
If I opened such bar would I be an overwhelming success in that area? There is your business lesson for today. There is more to business than simply catering to the masses where the competition is fierce, catering to a niche can be extremely lucrative.

Quote:
Your time of making choices on the tobacco issue has left the building...
And because of people like you your time on deciding how much popcorn you want is getting ready to leave the building too...

Bloomberg soda ban: Board of Health eyes popcorn and milkshakes - CBS News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies