Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2015, 07:21 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Says the person who wants the right to go to smoke free bars. That is funny.
Sorry to disappoint you, but I hardly ever drink. I prefer to be alert and healthy. But sometimes I will meet friends at a bar/restaurant for a beer. When I do, I don't want to breathe your poison. Thank you, but no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 07:44 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Yeah... only now the ME, ME, ME, people are the smokers.
There is nothing you can say to justify this response. I'm only asking that a private establishment be allowed to provide what I want. Whether they decide to do that is up to them. You're demanding they provide what you want.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Sorry to disappoint you, but I hardly ever drink. I prefer to be alert and healthy. But sometimes I will meet friends at a bar/restaurant for a beer. When I do, I don't want to breathe your poison. Thank you, but no.
Why is it so difficult for you to go to a place that doesn't allow smoking?

For example if you walked into a bar and they were playing loud music you don't like the rational person is going to go somewhere else to a place that accommodates them. Why is it if you walk into a bar that allows smoking that suddenly changes too "I have to put a stop to this".

Old 03-28-2015, 07:51 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
If you are offended by naked women do not go to a strip club. If smoking bothers you do not go to a place that allows smoking. It ain't real complicated.
You would think so.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:52 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Here in Minnesota we have been dealing with a smoking ban on restaurants and bars. The ban was struck down state-wide, except in the counties that surround Minneapolis/St. Paul. Many people are upset that smoking is not allowed in public places. I for one am extremely happy for this because I simply don't like the smell of cigarette smoke and all other types. My wife and kids have severe asthma so that is yet a more important reason for not wanting to be around the smoke.

Many people of course are whining that their rights are being taken away by these bans that have been in place for about a year now. My take on it is what about the rights of nonsmokers? What about the rights of people like my young kids who have asthma and can't go out to restaurants if there is a smoking section? It's a controversy where there are no winners...and everyone loses...like my mother-in-law who died due to smoking.
I don't smoke- never have (I am a physician).

However, I miss the smell of old casr, stores, and homes, which were mostly artifacts of cigarette smoke. It is a nostalgic odor for me (mostly pipe smoke).

I can say that if you travel in Europe, it seems even infants smoke. They smoke in restaurants, theaters, hotels, and in airports. Smoking is EVERYWHERE. Same thing in South America, and Southeast Asia.

As much as I am opposed to cigarette smoking, I don't think it is my right or priveledge to tell other people what to do.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:52 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
I don't smoke. You will not be breathing my poison. I suggest the few times a year you inhale smoke at a bar ain't gonna hurt you none.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:55 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
I don't smoke. You will not be breathing my poison. I suggest the few times a year you inhale smoke at a bar ain't gonna hurt you none.
It's the PRINCIPLE of the thing!

Old 03-28-2015, 08:50 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is nothing you can say to justify this response. I'm only asking that a private establishment be allowed to provide what I want. Whether they decide to do that is up to them. You're demanding they provide what you want.
No, actually nothing you say can justify your position. You are arguing that you should be allowed to spew poison in public places. That's indefensible.

You have no right to poison me or anyone else. What about the poor people who work in those places that allow smoking? What about their health? Does your right to poison them outweigh their right to a safe work environment? Or should they have to quit their jobs so that you can "enjoy" your foul poisonous addiction?

Smoke at home and it's all good.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
No, actually nothing you say can justify your position. You are arguing that you should be allowed to spew poison in public places.
A bar or restaurant is not a public place, you're a guest hence the reason you can be denied access or thrown out for any reason.

Quote:
You have no right to poison me or anyone else.
If you are sitting in place that allows smoking that is your responsibility and yours alone. What you are saying is you are not responsible enough to make that decision on your own and I would suggest you are not responsible enough to be in a bar to begin with.

Quote:
What about the poor people who work in those places that allow smoking?
Despite the fact I can make fantastic amounts of money doing it I don't work trees anymore because it's a huge risk. Again, be responsible for yourself an make your own decisions as an adult. Again it amazes me that you would want someone else to make these decisions for you.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:16 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
I used to smoke and had a hell of a time quitting. It is a serious addition I don't care what anyone says. But I am so glad I quit, feeling much healthier too. We moved to a house that the previous owners didn't smoke. I don't allow anyone to smoke in my house. None of my friends or my family smoke so it's not an issue. Seriously, I will never say anything to anyone who smokes but do what ever you can to get off it. You're a slave to it and it's a big savings. When I walk past someone who smokes you can smell it.

All I can say is I am so happy I don't smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies