Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2018, 09:48 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
[/b]
Yeah I know what the law is, I'm pointing out the hypocrisy and inconsistency.
Its amazing to me, the people allowed age restrictions to be created in the first place, Govt has no right to create or enforce, yet most people seem to think they are a good thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 01:19 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
It would be more effective to put limits on how much tobacco you can buy per day, plus they could make it mandatory for stores to record driver license info on everyone buying tobacco. Similar restrictions are in place for over the counter pills containing Ephedrine, a person can only buy one 6 ct pill package per day. We have to write down their info on a registry and turn it in monthly.

They started this due to people buying tons of Ephedrine to make meth, it has worked for the most part.

Our state also has KASPER system for prescription drugs, they keep track of people and the drugs they get filled, they are shared with all pharmacies, it was put in place to prevent people from going doctor shopping or filling numerous scripts for opiates...again, this seems to work too, if the pharmacy runs a check, and sees someone has already had their script filled, they refuse to give them more and also call police.

If health and safety are really that much of concern, as it appears to be, why not implement something similar for tobacco products?

Why should tobacco be exempt when other 'dangerous' products/drugs, are so heavily regulated and restricted?
How would these limits work? I know there's limits on how much alcohol you can buy per transaction in many states but the limit is fairly high and nothing prevents you from doing multiple transactions.
I don't see how they could come up with a number that really decreases the average smokers usual daily use. I guess they could limit the number of cartons under some language that would imply that you're selling them.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:07 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,095,131 times
The public needs to stop shoving their communism down our throats.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
How would these limits work? I know there's limits on how much alcohol you can buy per transaction in many states but the limit is fairly high and nothing prevents you from doing multiple transactions.
I don't see how they could come up with a number that really decreases the average smokers usual daily use. I guess they could limit the number of cartons under some language that would imply that you're selling them.
I will use Ephedrine pills as an example, (mini thins, diet, energy pills, sold at gas stations), used to be, you could buy as many as you liked every day, they changed this about 12 yrs ago, now, its restricted to one package per day, per person, they have to show ID and the cashier has to record their info on a registry, these are provided by DEA in our stores. We have to turn them in monthly. The cashier also has to check the registry when someone is buying a pack, to make sure they havent been in already that day.

This was done because people were buying numerous packs and using them to make meth. It has been pretty effective, the people that used it to make meth know we do this now, so we dont get many buying those pills anymore, I guess they have probably go online to buy in bulk now.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I will use Ephedrine pills as an example, (mini thins, diet, energy pills, sold at gas stations), used to be, you could buy as many as you liked every day, they changed this about 12 yrs ago, now, its restricted to one package per day, per person, they have to show ID and the cashier has to record their info on a registry, these are provided by DEA in our stores. We have to turn them in monthly. The cashier also has to check the registry when someone is buying a pack, to make sure they havent been in already that day.

This was done because people were buying numerous packs and using them to make meth. It has been pretty effective, the people that used it to make meth know we do this now, so we dont get many buying those pills anymore, I guess they have probably go online to buy in bulk now.
It didn't do squat to lower the production/sale of meth, all it did was inconvenience the consumer who has a family that's passing the cold/flu from one member to another. It DID make people feel better (at the time) that something was being done no matter how useless that "something" was.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:51 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Disgusting is a little strong I think considering 70% of the adult population used to smoke.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:06 AM

1,066 posts, read 630,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Disgusting is a little strong I think considering 70% of the adult population used to smoke.

What? Whether it’s 1% or 100% smoking is digusting. I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
It didn't do squat to lower the production/sale of meth, all it did was inconvenience the consumer who has a family that's passing the cold/flu from one member to another. It DID make people feel better (at the time) that something was being done no matter how useless that "something" was.
You are right, it didnt decrease the amount of meth being made or sold, BUT it shows that Govt targets ACCESS to products that are causing health problem or dangerous in some way. They did the same thing with opioid prescription drugs like I mentioned above, they made it tough for addicts to obtain them, it may not have solved any problems (it just pushed all the pill poppers to heroin), but it WAS govt restricting ACCESS to a harmful product....something they have NOT done with tobacco.

I guess the manufacturers of Ephedrine pills could not afford to 'pay off' the right people, to ensure their dangerous products remain easy to obtain.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:22 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,556,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
The public needs to stop shoving their communism down our throats.
I assume when you say "The public" you mean people who wish to NOT to be forced to breathe your tobacco effluent (imagine that, NOT wanting to be assaulted with a toxic, noxious, malodorous, cancer-causing substance is now considered "communism" in the minds of the smoker-pigs).

Do you find laws against drinking in public "communistic"???

Do you find laws against public nudity "communistic"???

Do you find laws against copulating in public "communistic"???

As I have said many times before, "Smoker-pigs, keep you filthy stench to your filthy stinking selves - or else!!!!"

Old 10-01-2018, 11:31 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,556,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
What? Whether it’s 1% or 100% smoking is digusting. I have no idea what you are trying to say.
I suspect he is trying to justify spewing his tobacco-effluent into the public's breathing air, thereby rendering it fit only for smoker-pigs to breathe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies