Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 09:22 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,649,543 times

Advertisements

Let the smokers smoke and kill themselves. Let the pigs overeat and kill themselves. That is the American Way. Let NOT the insurance folks leave them alone, however. They should have to pay and pay heavily into their insurance plans for their gluttonous and addictive ways...so that we the taxpayers don't have to foot their bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 09:29 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,134,199 times
A very interesting perspective and one that a bar/restaurant owner used in Western Massachusetts--but not to comply with the smoking ban, but rather to insist that he had the right to permit smoking in his "private" establishment.

He was fined; he was arrested; he was fined; he was arrested.

Ten years later, his bar/restaurant is the single place a person can smoke indoors in the county!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Restaurants and Bars aren't "public places". These are privately-owned businesses where the public is INVITED. No one is obligated to enter their establishments. If you don't like the food, atmosphere, the flatulents, the perfumes, the fat people eating, STAY OUT. The market will decide.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:32 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,699,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
A very interesting perspective and one that a bar/restaurant owner used in Western Massachusetts--but not to comply with the smoking ban, but rather to insist that he had the right to permit smoking in his "private" establishment.

He was fined; he was arrested; he was fined; he was arrested.

Ten years later, his bar/restaurant is the single place a person can smoke indoors in the county!
Good for him!! He's my new hero!!

Old 02-25-2007, 07:25 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,835,673 times
I think we should bring back smoking on airplanes! Remember how much fun that was? I smoke Cigars, but i don't inhale!

Old 02-25-2007, 07:45 PM

I don't smoke, I quit in 1981. If smoking was allowed on a particular airliner, I wouldn't purchase a flight from them. That's how it should work.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:15 PM

431 posts, read 394,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Here in Minnesota we have been dealing with a smoking ban on restaurants and bars. The ban was struck down state-wide, except in the counties that surround Minneapolis/St. Paul. Many people are upset that smoking is not allowed in public places. I for one am extremely happy for this because I simply don't like the smell of cigarette smoke and all other types. My wife and kids have severe asthma so that is yet a more important reason for not wanting to be around the smoke.

Many people of course are whining that their rights are being taken away by these bans that have been in place for about a year now. My take on it is what about the rights of nonsmokers? What about the rights of people like my young kids who have asthma and can't go out to restaurants if there is a smoking section? It's a controversy where there are no winners...and everyone loses...like my mother-in-law who died due to smoking.
Totally agree with you!

Smoking is the single most filthy, disgusting and classless "by choice" habit! I'll be glad when possession of tobacco is a criminal violation. These people who do smoke in public are nuisances. My hair and clothes shouldn't have to smell like a dive-bar because someone lacks the willpower and intestinal fortitude to quit inhaling nicotine. Ever meet anyone who was forced to smoke and ultimately become "addicted"? Nope, me either.

I think the frozen tundra would be an ideal place to send all smokers until they quit. Then and only then can they rejoin society.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittle View Post
Totally agree with you!

Smoking is the single most filthy, disgusting and classless "by choice" habit! I'll be glad when possession of tobacco is a criminal violation. These people who do smoke in public are nuisances. My hair and clothes shouldn't have to smell like a dive-bar because someone lacks the willpower and intestinal fortitude to quit inhaling nicotine. Ever meet anyone who was forced to smoke and ultimately become "addicted"? Nope, me either.

I think the frozen tundra would be an ideal place to send all smokers until they quit. Then and only then can they rejoin society.
Maybe you should just stay out of those places. Why should you have the say as to what activities one should allow in one's "private" establishment?

Old 02-25-2007, 08:27 PM

4,781 posts, read 2,084,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittle View Post
Totally agree with you!

Quote: I think the frozen tundra would be an ideal place to send all smokers untill they quit. Then and only than they can rejoin society.
It is hard to believe you do not have a friend or family member who smokes?
You would send them away ?

Old 02-25-2007, 08:51 PM

74 posts, read 470,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroquoispliskin View Post
Exactly! I couldn't careless if you smoke or not. I don't smoke anymore. It was on and off for awhile for me, but now i'm completely off cigarettes.

But I don't think others should have to sit in their own homes just to have a smoke. This argument was brought up before.

If smokers are not allowed to smoke in public, then I don't want to see anyone fat eat a candy bar in front of my face. Or I don't want anyone who has kids that **** themselves at any store that I shop at. You have bad gas? You best go home, I don't want to smell it.

Saying you can't smoke in public places like bars, restaurants, and bowling alleys, is the most retarded thing ever. That's just saying, if you smoke, you're not allowed to have a social life. And places like bars get most of their business from smokers, and so do bowling alleys.

And yes, it is disgusting sometimes, but it's no different than that fat kid that just shoved 6 twix in his mouth. I find that pretty disgusting, and a filthy habit.
You are my hero. Bravo to you.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:54 PM

431 posts, read 394,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNN View Post
Quote: I think the frozen tundra would be an ideal place to send all smokers untill they quit. Then and only than they can rejoin society.
It is hard to believe you do not have a friend or family member who smokes?
You would send them away ?

I have NO family that smokes. I do have a friend who does, but not around me. She knows my disdain for the habit and is respectful enough to not light up when we're together. And yes, I'd buy her ticket to the tundra and later welcome her back a more healthy lifestyle when she kicked the habit.

**I received negative feedback for my anti-smoking post (calling me a bigot), but the depositor lacked the guts to leave their ID (although I know EXACTLY who left it). It's so EASY to hide behind an internet forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies