Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2018, 09:28 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,464,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
No, because they can't be trusted to protect he vast majority from being assaulted with tobacco effluent.
Oh and it needs to be said that private property rights are absolute and not dependent on the "trust" of politicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 09:51 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Too many smokers stand in front of the entrance of no-smoking businesses and if you want to enter, you have to walk through their smoke. I don't want to breathe it or stink like a smoker.
What planet do you live on? Everywhere I go, smokers have become a minority and have to smoke in designated areas or 25 feet away from buildings. Even if they don't they are courteous. People are far more obnoxious and dangerous with their cell phones than with their cigarettes.

Texting and driving has killed many more people than a person smoking a cigarette in front of a building that a stranger might walk through for a millisecond. In this world, we have to deal with people doing things we dislike. It's called living in society. If it bothers you and others so much, feel free to move to a cabin in the middle of nowhere. Once again, I'm not defending smoking. It smells and it's unhealthy. I'm just tired of all the holier-than-thou threads that endlessly harp on how evil smokers are.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:53 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
And considering that the vast majority of public spaces now ban smoking, someone else's smoking doesn't affect you either. And even if they are smoking nearby, you can walk around it. So what's the complaint again? Of yeah, this is yet another "Let's hate on smokers for no reason" thread
Too many times you cannot "walk around it". Since there is no reason for anyone to smoke in public areas any more, why should non-smokers be expected to avoid smokers? Smokers can use nicotine substitutes when they are in public. Let them avoid smoking where it will bother other people.

Quote:
Too many smokers stand in front of the entrance of no-smoking businesses and if you want to enter, you have to walk through their smoke. I don't want to breathe it or stink like a smoker.
Yep.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:00 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Too many times you cannot "walk around it". Since there is no reason for anyone to smoke in public areas any more, why should non-smokers be expected to avoid smokers? Smokers can use nicotine substitutes when they are in public. Let them avoid smoking where it will bother other people.

Yep.
Maybe you and others who feel the same way, should act to get laws changed on cigarettes, call your congressman/ senator every day, tell them to enact tough restrictions on cigarettes.

When opioid prescription drugs started becoming dangerous and causing health problems, the Govt acted very quickly, the first thing they did was to target access, making it very tough for people to even obtain these drugs. There was NO consideration for the larger pharmaceutical industry and how much they stood to loose if these drugs were heavily restricted.

If cigarettes and second hand smoke are THIS dangerous, the same things need to be done as were done to opioid drugs.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:10 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,946,684 times
Youre freedom to smoke ends when it interferes with my freedom to not be in a smoke infested room. There is no freedom in the Constitution that says you have the right to smoke in public spaces. I don't have to change my life to choose smoke free restaurants/bars, the smokers have to choose to smoke in other locations. Its a non issue anyways. Any city worth living in these days has banned public smoking. Head to the voting booth if you don't like it.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:55 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
What planet do you live on? Everywhere I go, smokers have become a minority and have to smoke in designated areas or 25 feet away from buildings. Even if they don't they are courteous. People are far more obnoxious and dangerous with their cell phones than with their cigarettes.

Texting and driving has killed many more people than a person smoking a cigarette in front of a building that a stranger might walk through for a millisecond. In this world, we have to deal with people doing things we dislike. It's called living in society. If it bothers you and others so much, feel free to move to a cabin in the middle of nowhere. Once again, I'm not defending smoking. It smells and it's unhealthy. I'm just tired of all the holier-than-thou threads that endlessly harp on how evil smokers are.
smokers are the dregs of society, they stink, and many are rude.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Booze ( and beer) are still the most popular way to get drunk , I do not see that changing any time soon.
There's only one way to "get drunk" that I'm aware of and that's with Alcohol. As for the popularity of Alcohol? For now as it's cheap but reduce pot to the same cost? We'll see what time brings...

Old 09-13-2018, 12:44 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
I agree always did
Please explain California pot policies to me one more time

Old 09-13-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
smokers are the dregs of society, they stink, and many are rude.
As are the anti-smoking Nazis! In fact I'd say those Nazis are even more vile and hypocritical to boot...

Old 09-13-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Youre freedom to smoke ends when it interferes with my freedom to not be in a smoke infested room. There is no freedom in the Constitution that says you have the right to smoke in public spaces. I don't have to change my life to choose smoke free restaurants/bars, the smokers have to choose to smoke in other locations. Its a non issue anyways. Any city worth living in these days has banned public smoking. Head to the voting booth if you don't like it.
Nothing in there says you have a "right" to be in a smoke free anywhere if you're going to be honest about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies