Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2018, 10:20 AM

30,188 posts, read 11,827,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Only around 15% of the UK population smoke and this continues to fall year on year, whilst even less young people smoke.

The average price for a packet of twenty cigarettes in the UK is around $13 USD.

As for Dunhill they diversified in to menswear.

Dunhill.com | dunhill™ London
It was about 15% in 2016 in America also with lower taxes. Dropping here about 1% every two years.

Not sure how the count e cig users, if they count as smokers or not.

I don't smoke but pushing people into e cigs seems to be the best approach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 10:21 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,949,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If smoking were a right, then there would be no regulation at all, even by age restrictions.

Drinking alcohol is a privilege, too.
I must disagree, you have the meanings of rights and privileges mixed up. The gun people say owning guns is a right , yet there are many,many regulations , depending on where you live.just about everything you call a right is regulated, more so than “ privileged “ things. Anyone can own a car , it’s just you need a lisence to drive it, and insurance, that’s the privilege part because the state you live in can deny or approve your use on public rds. Farm tractors usually are used on private land. , in order to travel on roadways may be a privilege as laws or the lack of exist on the books. These are gray areas, like guns, mostly as results of high court decisions based on international And Constitutional rights. If we are born in the United States , we have the right to live here , just by existence. You can not be deported fo smoking or anything else . drinking alcohol is not a privilege, maybe in some religious circles where laws of fath supersede laws on the books.what you do not have a right to do is inflect harm on others by your actions.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:34 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,620,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Actually, it is YOU that is wrong. Percentage-wise less and less people still stupid enough to get addicted to that filth. After all, who wants to become a filthy disgusting fool?
Go into any gas station or convenience store in your area and ask them about their cigarette sales...I think you will be surprised!

I am a Field marketing coordinator for a very large gas station/convenience store chain...cigarettes are one of our top best selling items across numerous states. I also deal with reps from the tobacco companies weekly...they are doing VERY WELL right now.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:36 AM

30,188 posts, read 11,827,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Go into any gas station or convenience store in your area and ask them about their cigarette sales...I think you will be surprised!

I am a Field marketing coordinator for a very large gas station/convenience store chain...cigarettes are one of our top best selling items across numerous states. I also deal with reps from the tobacco companies weekly...they are doing VERY WELL right now.
Personally I could not work in an industry where products like cigarettes were sold and part of my income indirectly came from that. Lots of better ways to earn a living. Think of all the people who die every year because of cigarettes.

I believe people should be able to buy and put whatever they want in their bodies but I also would not have anything to do with selling meth, crack or any of that ilk.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:26 PM

45,241 posts, read 26,477,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Of course it should. The laws of our country apply EVERYWHERE, including inside a place of business. A place of business is NOT a law-free (lawless) zone. Why you would think it is or should be is beyond me.
So you dont believe in private property or self-ownership? You musta learned that in govt skool

Old 09-11-2018, 12:35 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,975,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
I don't see the connection between smoking in public and a fat "kid" eating six twix.

The overeater is not hurting anyone but himself, but the smoker is hurting many because we have to breathe second-hand smoke and for those of us who are allergic to the smoke, we get to become all congested and wind up with a sore throat and coughing. Then what it's doing to our lungs is not so great either.

Someone eating twix doesn't affect me at all and I never heard that passing gas is going to ruin anyone's health. Yes, it's unpleasant but isn't going to damage anyone's health.
You couldn't be more wrong. My overeating mother hurt everyone who loved her, her two kids most of all. She grew morbidly obese, which led to a common side effect: extreme embarrassment about the way she looked, which made her avoid basic healthcare. So for several years, she skipped the annual Pap smear that is an essential part of a woman's basic health.

Finally one day she noticed a lot of bleeding and went to the doctor. He discovered stage 4 cancer, cancer that could have been cured had she had her Pap smears. And she would have had them if she were a decent body weight. By the time the doctor discovered the problem it was too late, and she died when she was just 45. Her kids lost a mom way too young. Fat people like to believe being fat only hurts themselves. It allows them to demonize smokers/drinkers/whateverers while taking no responsibility for their own unhealthy habits. But being unhealthy, no matter how that is, hurts not only the individual, but everyone who loves the unhealthy person.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:43 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,558,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So you dont believe in private property or self-ownership? You musta learned that in govt skool
What an asinine response. Of course I believe in private property rights, as well as other rights, such as the right NOT to be assaulted with poisonous/noxious substances.

Smokers, OTOH, believe only in their own addiction and their need to satiate it.

You remind me of the people who think abortion is ok because government has no business in the bedroom, as if laws don't extend into, or apply in, the bedroom, which, of course, they do. If someone abuses their spouse in their bedroom, and see if they can use the defense that "government has no business in the bedroom" successfully. Hint: that defense will, of course, and properly, FAIL because government DOES have business in your bedroom, living room, garage, front yard, back yard, attic and everywhere else. Laws properly apply Everywhere including the bedroom and places of business.

What is shocking and more than a bit depressing is that you can't see that plain and simple fact. Astounding!!!!

Old 09-11-2018, 12:50 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,173,166 times
One of the best things California ever did was ban smoking in all restaurants and bars. It's awesome because you can go into any restaurant or bar and you are guaranteed to have clean air. Tobacco and pot should be treated the same: legal to consume at home in private, but illegal in public places. The public's right to clean air trumps the right to smoke.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
You go to another restaurant. That's the way it should be.
The government should not be telling business owners whether or not smokers can patronize their businesses. As such a strong Christian I have to assume that you're right-wing. Don't you people preach "less government"? Or is that only when it suits you? I'm confused.

I'm sure there are PLENTY of non-smoking restaurants for you to patronize. Show your preference by going there. Smokers in turn will go to the establishments that allow smoking. Eventually, the laws of business will determine whether or not you can smoke in a given establishment.

I personally do not patronize places that do not allow smoking. That's my choice as a smoker. IMHO though, smoking "sections" should be outlawed. Either it's a smoking establishment, or it's not. The smoke flows all over, and having a "smoking section" is ridiculous.

-TT
Why should the non-offender be inconvenienced because a bunch of drug addicts think the world is their ash tray and air filter.

Of course, it is NOT up to the victim to avoid victimization, it is the responsibility of the victimizer NOT to victimize others. In other words, keep you filthy stinking tobacco to your filthy, stinking self.

I kinda suspect you're the kind of person who would urinate in a public swimming pool, and then demand that others swim elsewhere if they don't like swimming in your pee.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
One of the best things California ever did was ban smoking in all restaurants and bars. It's awesome because you can go into any restaurant or bar and you are guaranteed to have clean air. Tobacco and pot should be treated the same: legal to consume at home in private, but illegal in public places. The public's right to clean air trumps the right to smoke.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies