Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2018, 12:57 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,561,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
You couldn't be more wrong. My overeating mother hurt everyone who loved her, her two kids most of all. She grew morbidly obese, which led to a common side effect: extreme embarrassment about the way she looked, which made her avoid basic healthcare. So for several years, she skipped the annual Pap smear that is an essential part of a woman's basic health.

Finally one day she noticed a lot of bleeding and went to the doctor. He discovered stage 4 cancer, cancer that could have been cured had she had her Pap smears. And she would have had them if she were a decent body weight. By the time the doctor discovered the problem it was too late, and she died when she was just 45. Her kids lost a mom way too young. Fat people like to believe being fat only hurts themselves. It allows them to demonize smokers/drinkers/whateverers while taking no responsibility for their own unhealthy habits. But being unhealthy, no matter how that is, hurts not only the individual, but everyone who loves the unhealthy person.
Wow. Rarely have I read such tortured "logic". There is such a disconnect, i.e. indirect harm to others, as to be well beyond cause and effect. Your example is, therefore, meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 01:01 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,958,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Good point.
Not really , as far as the consumer is considered the only requirement is age. In fact , many people roll their own.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:09 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,162,676 times
The first city in Missouri to outlaw smoking in bars was Springfield. The bar owners moaned and complained, but after it passed, they ALL said that business increased a lot.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Only around 15% of the UK population smoke and this continues to fall year on year, whilst even less young people smoke.

The average price for a packet of twenty cigarettes in the UK is around $13 USD.

As for Dunhill they diversified in to menswear.

Dunhill.com | dunhill™ London
What happened to all the tobacco culture that came out of GB .did all the tobacconist shops close ..?

Old 09-11-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
What happened to all the tobacco culture that came out of GB .did all the tobacconist shops close ..?
Hopefully.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Not really , as far as the consumer is considered the only requirement is age. In fact , many people roll their own.
Gross.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:24 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,861,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
don't you think people should bear the negative consequences of their habits, vices, lifestyles, etc?
Perhaps you should reread my question: What about that second hand smoke we must breathe when someone smokes in a public place?

Old 09-11-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
What an asinine response. Of course I believe in private property rights, as well as other rights, such as the right NOT to be assaulted with poisonous/noxious substances.

Smokers, OTOH, believe only in their own addiction and their need to satiate it.

You remind me of the people who think abortion is ok because government has no business in the bedroom, as if laws don't extend into, or apply in, the bedroom, which, of course, they do. If someone abuses their spouse in their bedroom, and see if they can use the defense that "government has no business in the bedroom" successfully. Hint: that defense will, of course, and properly, FAIL because government DOES have business in your bedroom, living room, garage, front yard, back yard, attic and everywhere else. Laws properly apply Everywhere including the bedroom and places of business.

What is shocking and more than a bit depressing is that you can't see that plain and simple fact. Astounding!!!!
The more you talk , the more you show your colors....you leave little if any room for discussion and debate. It’s good to have a cause, to be passionate about your beliefs. It’s also important to see and discuss other opion and thought. I have yet to meet anyone who went thru life with blinders on , that did not miss more than they learned .........

Old 09-11-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I doubt the pharma companies feel that way anymore!!

Govt came in and regulated their best selling opiods too the point where they are almost impossible to get...funny thing is, Govt told us they did this due to how dangerous opioids were...OK, but this is the same govt that puts a sin tax on cigarettes and allows them to be sold left and right...OK...that makes a lot of sense! LOL
I was referring to recreational drugs.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
The more you talk , the more you show your colors....you leave little if any room for discussion and debate. It’s good to have a cause, to be passionate about your beliefs. It’s also important to see and discuss other opion and thought. I have yet to meet anyone who went thru life with blinders on , that did not miss more than they learned .........
Not my first rodeo. Heard all the lame excuses etc. before, ad infinitum. None of them hold water. None are more than the narcissistic ruminations of a bunch of drug addicts who only care of themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies