Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 08:37 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,071,140 times

Advertisements

Sure you do.

You are right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 08:39 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Sure you do.

You are right now.
We're on a discussion board... LOL. And I've also never voted to take rights away from Christians, nor would I ever comment on their lifestyles in person. Furthermore, you won't catch me holding up signs saying "Christians are evil" at their funerals.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:42 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,071,140 times
It's funny though, how everyone has a right to an opinion until we disagree with the gay rights advocates, isn't it?

I mean...I think mormons are nuts--but they have the right to their opinion. I think it's sad how people are attacking them so badly.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:55 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
It's funny though, how everyone has a right to an opinion until we disagree with the gay rights advocates, isn't it?

I mean...I think mormons are nuts--but they have the right to their opinion. I think it's sad how people are attacking them so badly.
I think they should have stayed out of it, if they can't handle being "attacked." You play with fire, you take the chance of getting burned - no? It's not like the gay community randomly targeted Mormons, or pushed their own propositions against the churches.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:59 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,890 times
Quote:
I personally know a lot of Christians that have spoken out against him. I also know several Christians that ride with the Patriot Guard bikers to block their actions when they picket.

What was your point again?
The tone of your post is off-putting, but I'll respond anyway. Your evidence of Christian opposition to Phelps isn't enough for me to believe that he doesn't represent something about conservative Christians. He still has a voice, doesn't he? Read the last sentence of my earlier post. The fact that the people you mention haven't successfully shut him up speaks volumes.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:04 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,541,906 times
Quote:
I think any time someone who is doing something immoral is told that what they're doing is wrong, the natural impulse is to think they're being "hated". It's simple really--they don't like to be told they're wrong.
Wrong by your beliefs. You're a half step behind a muslim state dictating what is right and wrong. Make that a goose step.

Redefining marriage is a play on words, you are choosing to define someone else's life based on your own definition which is based on your beliefs.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:06 PM

247 posts, read 1,115,808 times
The difference between Phelps and other so called conservatine christians is that Phelps has the guts to say what he really thinks and believes. I think that most fundies agree with him. They just don't have the balls to say it in public. Sort of like people who deny they're racists but it's obvious that they really are. By the way, Deacon Fred has a few things to teach us about fundamentalism
YouTube - lbc4god's Channel

Old 12-06-2008, 02:09 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
My gay roommate would say otherwise... HE (and everyone else in the gay community) was directly hurt and affected by your selfish vote, so at least own up to what you did.
I'm sorry if they were hurt by this vote but they have no rights to redefine marriage to mean something that it does not. They should be working on stregthening civil unions as all they seem concerned about are the benefits and perks of marriage (from all the rhetoric I've heard) and that is not enough reason to redefine marriage.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:11 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,750,300 times
No way.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:17 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
You voted against gays having equal rights so you did vote against them.
Gays have all of the rights as heterosexuals have. Marriage is not a right but a priviledge. The requirement of marriage is that it is a union between a man and woman and gays do not want to abide by that. Gays have civil unions and if that is not meeting their needs, then they need to advocate to strengthen them. A union between a two males or two females does not constitue a marriage no matter how much people desire otherwise. The thing that really gets to me is all the rhetoric about the benefits and perks that go with marriage which really reduces marriage to what's in it for us mentality and not what's best for society as a whole. We really need to get government out of marriage to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies