Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:17 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times

Advertisements

In the ned no church is really representaive of anyone but themslves just as the REv Wright doesn't represent the democratic christian churches in this country.I most sates marriage is only a right between a man and a woman. Same as people below a certain age have no right to marry.Marriage has requirement s as set forth by the government in the state. Persons could in fact get married in ceramony but it not be reconginised by the state if they wished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 10:49 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
us "people" haven't shut him up?

Do you think he reports to me? Does he need my permission to do what he does?
Absolutely no need to take this personally. What I can't understand is why the higher church authorities haven't taken it upon themselves to make sure this guy and his followers aren't nipped in the bud. Their lack of action here suggests to me that they actually LIKE the attention he gets because they really do, in their dark heart of hearts, want to express those same feelings. Don't tell me the church can't accomplish this, not while they have billions of dollars and millions of organized followers at their disposal. If they can impact national elections and get evangelical nutjobs (my view) elected to every school board, they can surely slam the door on Westboro.

While other Christians have posted that Mr. Phelps doesn't represent them, he actually DOES whether they recognize that or not. The loudest voice gets the most attention and becomes a representative by default.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:46 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,084,262 times
"God Hates Dead Soldiers".
Are you f***ing kidding me????

My husband and I recently went to a funeral of someone he was in the service with (his friend died in Afghanistan)-if my hubby saw this he would..be...LIVID

Are these the people who picket the funerals of the soldiers? I know our country has freedom of speech and right to assembly and all that good stuff, but that just doesn't seem right (I'm not going to say what I think we should really do to these protestors!!!).

Old 12-08-2008, 09:24 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,937,268 times
I love it when the left tries and link mainstream Christians with these kooks. And they say we stereotype people......

Sooner or later, someone is going to take these guys out. I'm telling you right now that if they pulled their act at a funeral service for one of my family members there would be bloodshed.

Truth be told I have a suspicion they are liberal activists playing a role to try and discredit Christianity. Phelps has documented links to Al Gore.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:29 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,259,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Truth be told I have a suspicion they are liberal activists playing a role to try and discredit Christianity. Phelps has documented links to Al Gore.
Wouldn't surprise me. Phelps is a literal walking caricature of all the stereotypes the left portrays about Christians.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:35 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Phelps is a fraud.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:35 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,918,101 times
Just curious to those Christians who constantly state that NAMBLA represents the gay folks if they are the ones then stating that Phelps does not represent them? I'm sure they are the loudest who yell when Phelps is connected to them and say that is unfair but would have no hesitation stating that NAMBLA represents all gay folks (and that we are all child molesters).

Just something to think about for those who want to constantly connect a disgusting group like NAMBLA as a representation of the gay population (they shouldn't just like a disgusting individual/group like Phelps/TWBC should not be connected to the representation of the Christian population). Perhaps they should think next time they want to identify an entire group by a small segment of individuals who clearly don't represent the whole group.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:48 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,484,309 times
Quote:
Originally posted by mhouse2001
Absolutely no need to take this personally. What I can't understand is why the higher church authorities haven't taken it upon themselves to make sure this guy and his followers aren't nipped in the bud. Their lack of action here suggests to me that they actually LIKE the attention he gets because they really do, in their dark heart of hearts, want to express those same feelings. Don't tell me the church can't accomplish this, not while they have billions of dollars and millions of organized followers at their disposal. If they can impact national elections and get evangelical nutjobs (my view) elected to every school board, they can surely slam the door on Westboro.

While other Christians have posted that Mr. Phelps doesn't represent them, he actually DOES whether they recognize that or not. The loudest voice gets the most attention and becomes a representative by default.
Unforunately Protestantism is so disparate there isn't really a "high church authority" Sure there are leaders, but no real authority to shut the man up If Phelps were a catholic priest, however, you bet the Vatican would be on it. He'd be defrocked and disgraced, as he should be. That's one of the advantages of a church heier

I've actually become concerned that many people might equate him with mainstream conservative christianity. I myself am a conservative christian, but I think phelps is a hateful disgrace--not a christian. So I hope intelligent non christians can tell the difference.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:54 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,027,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Wouldn't surprise me. Phelps is a literal walking caricature of all the stereotypes the left portrays about Christians.
You may be on to something here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies