Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: will you buy an american car now that the automakers got their bailout?
yes 22 30.56%
no 50 69.44%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 08:08 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times

Advertisements

So much misinformation and "My moms friends aunts Taurus ate her baby" bandwagoning.

Top Ranked Cars - Best Cars & Trucks - U.S. News Rankings and Reviews
2008 J.D. Power Rankings Released - Wheels Blog - NYTimes.com

I own a Hyundai and a Ford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 08:45 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,927,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
So much misinformation and "My moms friends aunts Taurus ate her baby" bandwagoning.

Yeah, yeah...well anyone can post anything and find polls that back their belief. No big deal to me.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:47 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Well you show yourself as being out of touch with modern Detroit cars.

I notice that you jaspers who buy foreign often wildly overstate your case but then you have to rationalize your continued disregard for your country and your fellow countrymen.
No, sadly I own a "detroit" pickup truck, reminded of that with frequent repairs. Sure wish I had chosen the Tundra when I was shopping

Old 12-08-2008, 09:52 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,919,896 times
i am sure that no car manufacturer cares about me because i have never purchased a new car off the lot. i always pay cash and buy used cars because i don't like the depreciation. i will say that i think the mini coopers are cute, especially with the wind-up key, and i like the smart car in appearance. i have read mixed reviews on both, though.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:59 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,470,416 times
I have a new GM in my garage (bought in July) that was assembled in Lansing w/ 70% US/Canadian made parts. I have only bought American. I will not be buying another GM, Ford (which I wouldn't buy anyway), or a Chrysler based on principal.

I thought the "trickle down" effect wasn't suppose to work? Yet here we are...

My government may prop them up in the short term, but I personally will not be forking over anymore money to support them ever again. I'll protest with my money, and UAW/GM/Ford/Chrysler can all stick it...

Old 12-08-2008, 10:05 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post

Thanks for the link. JD is more independent than Consumer Reports.

I will buy cars that are as much American made as possible because I love this country and seeing it go down the toilet is difficult.
EVERY and ANY make of car has it's problems, anyone can get a lemon. There are so many variables (and outright lying) that I think I'll stick to my plan. I see people buying horribly expensive and totally unnecessary vehicles and then worry about fixing them???? Why not buy a much cheaper American made car and IF you do have problems you have the money to not only fix it but you MIGHT have money left over!!!!!

Old 12-08-2008, 10:24 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
>Yeah, yeah...well anyone can post anything and find polls that back their belief. No big deal to me.<

You didnt even click the link.

1) Not a poll.
2) What it shows of average is Ford (alot) and GM (somewhat) have closed the gap. Chrysler still lags.

Realistically you need to rate each model and even sub-model. The Ford Fusion V6 statistically has fewer defects than the V6 camry. The I4 models that is reversed. Nither is a bad car. In fact both rate quite well. I saw in consumer reports the Tundra was rated much worse than average (this surprised me) BUT the Corolla is a choice award winner year after year after year after year.

Last edited by ottomobeale; 12-08-2008 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 12-08-2008, 11:21 AM

122 posts, read 168,851 times
If the Chevy Volt actually works as advertises, isn't a FORD vehicle (fix or repair daily), and is ACTUALLY PRODUCED, then yes, I will buy one of those once they go into production. Otherwise, no. I'm fine with my Nissan, and I see very little that the Big 3 are producing that interests me.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:38 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.g.harpool View Post
If the Chevy Volt actually works as advertises, isn't a FORD vehicle (fix or repair daily), and is ACTUALLY PRODUCED, then yes, I will buy one of those once they go into production. Otherwise, no. I'm fine with my Nissan, and I see very little that the Big 3 are producing that interests me.
It may not use any gas, but will it be using coal to produce the electricity to recharge it, or natural gas/oil, you betcha

Will it have a life time larger carbon footprint than a Hummer? This includes all the resources to make 100's of pounds of batteries filled with toxins, and the disposal of the same batteries at the vehicles end of life. For the lifetime of the vehicle, the hummer is friendlier to the environment.

Right now the Hummer has a lighter footprint than a Prius.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:42 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It may not use any gas, but will it be using coal to produce the electricity to recharge it, or natural gas/oil, you betcha
In our region, they would be recharged by nuclear power - not coal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies