Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: will you buy an american car now that the automakers got their bailout?
yes 22 30.56%
no 50 69.44%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 11:47 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,918,398 times

Advertisements

i can't even keep my cell phone charged so i sure don't want to have to worry about keeping my car charged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 12:03 PM

122 posts, read 168,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It may not use any gas, but will it be using coal to produce the electricity to recharge it, or natural gas/oil, you betcha

Will it have a life time larger carbon footprint than a Hummer? This includes all the resources to make 100's of pounds of batteries filled with toxins, and the disposal of the same batteries at the vehicles end of life. For the lifetime of the vehicle, the hummer is friendlier to the environment.

Right now the Hummer has a lighter footprint than a Prius.
That's a problem with the mechanisms that we use to generate electricity, not with the idea of an electric vehicle itself. I am not from a state that is heavily reliant on coal. Florida (well, South Florida at least) mostly runs on natural gas (the cleanest by far of the fossil fuels, definitely cleaner than petroleum) and nuclear power. If anything, that issue should be a call for us to green our electrical distribution system.

Does the Hummer not use a battery, also filled with toxins?

I feel like this is getting a tad off-topic, anyhow. My point was that if the Big 3 actually deliver a functioning next-generation vehicle - the type of vehicle American consumers have been crying for - I will gladly purchase it from them. I am not inherently anti-Detroit. I drive a foreign car now because it is more fuel efficient and reliable than most of their models, and because my family has a long history of problems with Detroit's FORD vehicles.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:11 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,244 times
I won't but it has nothing to do with the bailout. I have had Japanese and American cars in the past and quality is no comparison, Japanese cars are far superior.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:34 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
Now that they've gotten their bailout, they can continue with their ridiculous policies that led to the situation in the first place. And that shouldn't come as much of a surprise. The auto industry has just been handsomely rewarded for blindness, stubbornness and, in some cases, outright incompetence. Who here wouldn't be happy with the sort of payoff they got, for the road they've been following?

Old 12-08-2008, 04:55 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,146,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I won't but it has nothing to do with the bailout. I have had Japanese and American cars in the past and quality is no comparison, Japanese cars are far superior.
Your not the only one that believes that the Japanese build a better vehicle . Besides most are built right here in the good old USA, buy Americans.

No! to Ford, GMC and Chrysler.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:15 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,997,351 times
No, I am saving up for the new Honda Insight hybrid coming out in April for $18,500. I get a tax break from the company I work for, and I don't want to wait until the Threetards finally build a good hybrid. (Although it appears that Ford is making strides...the new Fusion Hybrid looks pretty good, but it's all about MPG for me.)

Old 12-10-2008, 09:45 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,236,347 times
The "Big 3" lost me as a customer for life in the 80's and 90's.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:07 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,321,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
The "Big 3" lost me as a customer for life in the 80's and 90's.
Since one of my cars is a 1995 (Lincoln Town Car) I can't say the same.
No big deal, though, because I enjoy it and it's been very reliable.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:21 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,918,398 times
i am amazed that people think the bailout will work. GM employs 200,000 people and pays health care and retirement for over 1 million. you would have to sell a lot of cars to keep up with those kind of numbers and their sales are actually dropping. (not their fault necessarily as sales have been dropping with all car manufacturers).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies