Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: will you buy an american car now that the automakers got their bailout?
yes 22 30.56%
no 50 69.44%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2008, 10:06 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times

Advertisements

I have no need of another vehicle but 4 or 5 years from now I will look at what the big 3 are selling.
Currently I drive:
2006 Toyota Solara
2008 Toyota Tacoma Extend cab TRD Sport4 wheel drive.
If any of the big 3 made a truck that fit my taste in trucks I might have bought one. None did.
I like the Pontiac G6 it looks as good as the Solara. But does it get 35mpg highway like the Solara? 30 mpg city like my Solara? That is the MPG that I am actually getting...
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 10:13 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I bought a 2009 Hyundai, built in Alabama, so yes. I will buy an "American" car.
its still not an american car made here or not.. the company is foreign

Old 12-07-2008, 10:18 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
Levi Strauss has closed all of its Texas manufacturing facilities and moved them to Mexico. Many companied who do that bring the fabric back across the border and assemble them in the USA. That is probably as close as you will get to Made in the USA.
outsourcing!!!!

Old 12-07-2008, 10:26 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
its still not an american car made here or not.. the company is foreign
This is true. Even in a Hyundai is manufactured in the U.S., the majority of the profits go back to South Korea.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:01 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post

In many cases it is hard to justify the premium prices attached to some of the foreign brands seeing as they all wear down and eventually end up in the recycle center. I'd much rather buy a comparably equipped Dodge minivan for $8,000 to $10,000 less than a Toyota Sienna and spend a little more on preventive maintenance than shell out the extra cash. There are not many Toyotas being used for commercial use yet you see many businesses and tradesmen regularly using Dodge minivans.
I bought a Plymouth Voyager in 1992 adnd drove it 140,000 miles. I liked it so much that I bought a Dodge Caravan in 1999. The Caravan was not as good as the Plymouth. At @ 90,000 miles it was worn out - suspension, engine, and a sliding door that was worked on at least a dozen times to try to keep it from jumping out of the track when the door was opened with no success.

Two years ago we went to replace the Dodge and looked at Honda, Dodge, and Toyota. Ford was concenrtrating on SUVs and pickups and didn't have anything to offer. The Dodge was considerably cheaper, looked it, and drove like it. The Honda was the most expensive of the three and was not at all comfortable to me to drive.

We ended up with the Sienna, and so far it has been one of the best vehicles I have ever been privileged to own. The fuel economy is superior at 26 mpg round trip (SC-NY & back) compared to the 20-22 we used to get on the Chrysler products. We originally started driving minivans when the kids were at home so we could take road trips, and the Chrysler products took us to 41 states. I really can't complain about them, but I am really in love with the Toyota.

Next time we look, we'll look at all of the options again. If any one of the Big 3 has a contender, we will certainly give it a shot. But from what I saw two years ago, they have a long way to go to catch up.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:14 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Noi bailout has been approved;there is onyl a agreement as to where the money will come from between the president and the house leader;peosi;if approved by both houses. In fact there is no written bill as of friday. No republican leader was at the meeting and it will take their suuport just like the financial bailout.There is alot of opposition as as of friday most law makers felt that there was not enough support to pass a bailout.That is why friday they lower the amount that the supporters wanted to less than even 25 billion.But that really has little to do with will or why people haven't or will buy a american made car. They haven't sold in the past for reasons other than their financial state.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:36 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,563 times
I went shopping with a friend of mine for a new SUV. We drove everything. Chevrolet was the absolute worst. The salespeople were terrible and the vehicle's design was embarrassingly bad. All the foreign made vehicles were better, all of them. My friend ended up buying a Ford and saw half the value fall off as they drove it off the lot. She would have done better with the Kia Sorento or Honda Pilot, both of which I wished she'd chosen.

I will buy American when it's as good as Japanese. I drove 2 Acura's from 1989 to 2008 with no major problems or defects. 203,000 miles on the last one with 26mpg in city and up to 40mpg on the highway. I cried when I traded it in for a Japanese-manufactured Mazda but I'm now happy about the move up to a car with airbags and more amenities. I did not consider any American vehicle because none met my needs. Is it just me or are they all ugly?

I feel the pain of the autoworkers but I won't buy a big ticket item that's inferior just to save an industry that didn't care for its nearest consumers for decades. Like most, I'd LOVE to buy American, but...

Old 12-07-2008, 11:47 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I will buy American when it's as good as Japanese.
Consumer Reports recommends lots of American vehicles just as highly as their Japanese counterparts.

CR has also "demoted" Toyota recently. They no longer automatically recommend Toyotas due to too many problems with some of their models.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:08 PM

564 posts, read 892,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Consumer Reports recommends lots of American vehicles just as highly as their Japanese counterparts.

CR has also "demoted" Toyota recently. They no longer automatically recommend Toyotas due to too many problems with some of their models.
Yes, It's the v-6's. The Lexus derived v-8 4.6's are good, the 5.7 v-8 like mine time will tell. The 4 cyl. Models will ride on.

Example-Tacoma v-6 may have problems
Tacoma 4 cyl. will ride on 300+k miles-Bulletproof
Same with Camry and on and on...

Old 12-07-2008, 12:12 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
Love my two month-old Ford F150! And as soon as we pay it off, we'll be buying the Mrs. a new Expedition, thank you very much!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies