Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: will you buy an american car now that the automakers got their bailout?
yes 22 30.56%
no 50 69.44%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 06:04 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,927,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
Levi Strauss has closed all of its Texas manufacturing facilities and moved them to Mexico. Many companied who do that bring the fabric back across the border and assemble them in the USA. That is probably as close as you will get to Made in the USA.
Totally NOT TRUE at all. You need to check the links I gave in another thread because there are plenty of American made clothes and other things. Know what you post about before doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
Now back to the topic....

There have been no really good American cars that are very inexpensive in years. I have always bought small cars that get good gas mileage. My last Kia (don't laugh) cost me less than $10,000. I just can't afford to pay the prices
I can understand the financial part and it is nice to see someone truthful about it. Thank you.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:06 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,839,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I agree. My American made cars are in great shape no matter what their age because they have routine maintenance and we don't allow idiots to drive them.

American made made vehicles are not junk. What a nice rumor for the foreign makers to start.

I consider it very un-American to NOT buy as many "American Made" things as possible........a GOOD economy is a circle.......NOT a straight line up or out!
I have a company car that is a GM- american made. It is a year old, has 38K miles, and receives routine maintenance through my fleet program. The oil is changed ever 4000 miles, tune ups, etc.

The thing became a rattletrap after the first 20K miles. There are squeaks and rattles. But so far, nothing is falling off of it although one of the windows got stuck in the down position a couple of months ago and had to be replaced.

I have a personal vehicle- japanese made, 2002- 75K miles. Regular maintenance- but oil is changed less religiously- probably closer to 5K miles. It's had one tune up in the 7 years I've owned it. It does not squeak or rattle, and it runs great. Other than routine maintenance, I've replaced the brakes once and the tires once.

What's the better investment? The japanese car.

That is not a rumor started by the foreign automakers. It is common knowledge based upon the experience of consumers.

My very first new car was a Chevrolet Beretta- 1987. I had to have the engine replaced twice- once the head- it spun a bering due to a manufacturers defect. The second time the bottom block went because when the head was replaced the cooling fan was never reconnected and it overheated. I also had to have it repainted because there was a problem with the paint and when I went through a carwash the paint came off in sheets. I got rid of that car in 1989- it was two years old and had less than 40K miles on it.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
I put far, far more faith in the Consumer Reports car ratings than any anecdotal stories from CD posters...

And Consumer Reports consistently ranks the American brands far below the Japanese for quality and reliability...

It's virtually impossible to buy American Made anyhow nowadays...

And when you do buy American made, and have quality problems, the manufacturer doesn't want to know you - so why buy something that you know will be a problem?? To support overpaid UAW workers who are in the 'jobs bank', drinking beer all day and getting 95% of their salary???

No one buys the services my labor provides because I'm an American - they buy my services because I do good work at a fair price... and if that fails to be the case, they outsource my job - and absolutely NO ONE would stand up for me....

Sorry - but your reasoning is falling on deaf ears...
I do take what people I know say about vehicles, or anything I might be buying. I know my friends and family won't lie to me. You do what you like.

NO, you do not automatically have quality problems at all. Some do, but many more don't. What you said is a flat out lie and you know it.

I am against the UAW because they are what has caused many of the problems with the workers. I have seen, friend of mine, that told me that when people don't want to work, they don't. Plain and simple. The damn union protects them no matter what and that is sick as hell.

Like I said before, it is not impossible, except to those that want it to be. Thanks for playing and now I am going.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:18 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,584,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
I do take what people I know say about vehicles, or anything I might be buying. I know my friends and family won't lie to me. You do what you like.

NO, you do not automatically have quality problems at all. Some do, but many more don't. What you said is a flat out lie and you know it.

I am against the UAW because they are what has caused many of the problems with the workers. I have seen, friend of mine, that told me that when people don't want to work, they don't. Plain and simple. The damn union protects them no matter what and that is sick as hell.

Like I said before, it is not impossible, except to those that want it to be. Thanks for playing and now I am going.
I'm not lying - you just refuse to face facts.

Are you saying that the Consumer Reports car ratings are nothing but outright lies??? Because they rate the Japenese cars higher than the American - like most sane people do...

I can't help it if this issue hits a nerve with you.... you just can't take the truth - that is all...

If someone says something bad about American cars - you call them liars...

Wow - that is REALLY the way to get all the import buyers to switch to American made cars... Everytime you see a person driving an import, beep at them, roll down your window, and call them a Liar if they think their car is better than yours!!! ROFL!!!

Why should consumers be expected to waste their money on a poorly designed and built product, especially when the executives of the companies that build those inferior products treat themselves like royalty, do a poor job of giving the public reliable affordable transportation, and when the UAW union has gone so far overboard extracting high salaries and benefits over the years (that the consumer has to pay for).

Both management and union have done an excellent job of driving their companies out of business...

That's what happens in business - good companies succeed - bad ones go extinct... What makes the Big-3 a sacred cow????

Old 12-06-2008, 07:49 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,745,656 times
When I need another car it will be an American made car. I have 4 chevys now, one is 8 years old 101000 miles runs great, another is 23 years old 170000 miles runs great, the other two are 40 years old both run great don’t know the true mileage.
The last Toyota I had was an 84 mini truck. It wasn’t any better or more reliable than the 89 S10 I replaced it with. I put 100000 miles on both and the Toyota required more repairs than the chevy did. I guess I’m the only one that has had better luck with American cars than Japanese ones.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:52 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,792,249 times
As much as I hate SUVS, I will admit the Acadia looks pretty nice and I love the name....

In any case... Congress: Look in the Mirror Before You Abandon Detroit : TreeHugger

My dream car is a Tesla Roadster...and it will always be my dream car because of the cost.
Once the car I have now is paid off, I plan to get an electric car...if there are any being sold at an affordable price (less than 25,000 dollars).

Old 12-06-2008, 07:57 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,066,237 times
I didn't vote, not enough choices on the poll, like a choice that said "yes, if they make a good battery powered electric."

We love our Camry (make in KY) so much that it will take a lot to get us out of it; it's only 4 years old and we'll have it another 10-15 years. Meanwhile, our Grand Cherokee is 10 and has at least five more years in it before we buy another vehicle. What I want in our next car is a battery powered electric for around town and short trips, as in up to Denver and back, 150 mile round trip.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:15 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
I'm not lying - you just refuse to face facts.

Are you saying that the Consumer Reports car ratings are nothing but outright lies??? Because they rate the Japenese cars higher than the American - like most sane people do...

I can't help it if this issue hits a nerve with you.... you just can't take the truth - that is all...

If someone says something bad about American cars - you call them liars...

Wow - that is REALLY the way to get all the import buyers to switch to American made cars... Everytime you see a person driving an import, beep at them, roll down your window, and call them a Liar if they think their car is better than yours!!! ROFL!!!

Why should consumers be expected to waste their money on a poorly designed and built product, especially when the executives of the companies that build those inferior products treat themselves like royalty, do a poor job of giving the public reliable affordable transportation, and when the UAW union has gone so far overboard extracting high salaries and benefits over the years (that the consumer has to pay for).

Both management and union have done an excellent job of driving their companies out of business...

That's what happens in business - good companies succeed - bad ones go extinct... What makes the Big-3 a sacred cow????
The Japanese own Consumer Reports.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:02 AM

998 posts, read 1,514,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
The Japanese own Consumer Reports.
They are American based, have offices in many major US cities, and they are owned by Consumers Union, an American non-profit.

I loves ya, and I agrees with ya 99% of the time, but it's common knowledge that Japanese cars have been better than ours since the mid to late 80s. Back then Mazda was the first one to overtake American cars as far as reliability goes.

Last edited by Guero; 12-07-2008 at 04:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies