Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: will you buy an american car now that the automakers got their bailout?
yes 22 30.56%
no 50 69.44%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 05:10 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,927,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
For a trouble-free existence the folks who fill out surveys for Consumers Reports and others consistently indicate otherwise . . .
Maybe, but I know myself or any of my friends and family have never had any major trouble with American made vehicles. But then, we do take care of them and change the oil and such when it is supposed to be done. Many people think that vehicles are supposed to run forever without having to do anything to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 05:16 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,246,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Maybe, but I know myself or any of my friends and family have never had any major trouble with American made vehicles. But then, we do take care of them and change the oil and such when it is supposed to be done. Many people think that vehicles are supposed to run forever without having to do anything to them.
An interesting experience I had a three or four years back was to go to an event where many automakers brought their best brand new SUVs for people to drive over a series of obstacle courses. Across the board the Japanese and German SUVs were tight and solid as could be. The American SUVs were all loose rattletraps. It was an unsurprising eye-opener

Old 12-06-2008, 05:27 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
I agree. My American made cars are in great shape no matter what their age because they have routine maintenance and we don't allow idiots to drive them.

American made made vehicles are not junk. What a nice rumor for the foreign makers to start.

I consider it very un-American to NOT buy as many "American Made" things as possible........a GOOD economy is a circle.......NOT a straight line up or out!

Old 12-06-2008, 05:31 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,148,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
OK, this is maybe off topic but what brand of jeans is American made...TELL ME , I am desperate to find American made clothes!
Levi Strauss has closed all of its Texas manufacturing facilities and moved them to Mexico. Many companied who do that bring the fabric back across the border and assemble them in the USA. That is probably as close as you will get to Made in the USA.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:35 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,148,118 times
Now back to the topic....

There have been no really good American cars that are very inexpensive in years. I have always bought small cars that get good gas mileage. My last Kia (don't laugh) cost me less than $10,000. I just can't afford to pay the prices

Old 12-06-2008, 05:40 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,584,302 times
Quote:
I have to wonder why so many of you are so against the Big 3 automakers. I mean, they do make really good vehicles these days. I realize that they were really screwed up back in the 80s, but these days, I think they outdo any of the imports.
Probably because many of us bought those American pieces of crap during the 70's and 80's and were burned badly - and decided to give the Japanese cars a chance....

Once you've owned a Toyota or Honda, you'd have to have a gun to your head to go back to a GM, Ford or Chrysler - that is unless you like pain...

And I don't believe the US cars are up to the same quality as the Japanese. Maybe for the first year - maybe. But after that, the American cars are nothing but an endless stream of one problem after another....

My Toyota's and Honda's have been mechanically far superior to any American car I ever owned...

Guess that's why the Big-3 are in trouble. They screwed many of their customers over the years, and now those former customers are lost to the competition - forever.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:40 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,475,923 times
If they make a solid energy efficient vehicle I would consider it when my 1999 Nissan Maxima with like 106000 miles breaks down.

I had a Camry before that (1993) and the thing ran fine until I totaled it.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I agree. My American made cars are in great shape no matter what their age because they have routine maintenance and we don't allow idiots to drive them.
BINGO!!!! Routine maintenance is the key along with not letting idiots drive them. You got that right!

Old 12-06-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Probably because many of us bought those American pieces of crap during the 70's and 80's and were burned badly - and decided to give the Japanese cars a chance....

Once you've owned a Toyota or Honda, you'd have to have a gun to your head to go back to a GM, Ford or Chrysler - that is unless you like pain...

And I don't believe the US cars are up to the same quality as the Japanese. Maybe for the first year - maybe. But after that, the American cars are nothing but an endless stream of one problem after another....

My Toyota's and Honda's have been mechanically far superior to any American car I ever owned...

Guess that's why the Big-3 are in trouble. They screwed many of their customers over the years, and now those former customers are lost to the competition - forever.

LOLOLOLOL I had a '79 Mustang it was a great car. Of course it was not a4 or 6 cylinder piece of crap that they built back then. It had a 302 engine. The old 289 engine was one of the best that has ever been built, even to this day.

I would say that my Acadia is far superior to anything that the imports are. I do know that Nissan is pretty good, but I will take my American made. I suspect that many of you do not take good care of your vehicles and then blame that on the manufacture. Not saying it is true, but I have seen far too much of that in my years. I even have seen and heard what the mechanics have told people who have brought their vehicles in for repair, telling them that they need to change the oil more often than they did and such as that.

I have a friend who has a Tundra and it is nice truck but can nowhere do what my Chevy Siverado can do when it comes to real work.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:01 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,584,302 times
Quote:

American made made vehicles are not junk. What a nice rumor for the foreign makers to start.

I consider it very un-American to NOT buy as many "American Made" things as possible........a GOOD economy is a circle.......NOT a straight line up or out!
I put far, far more faith in the Consumer Reports car ratings than any anecdotal stories from CD posters...

And Consumer Reports consistently ranks the American brands far below the Japanese for quality and reliability...

It's virtually impossible to buy American Made anyhow nowadays...

And when you do buy American made, and have quality problems, the manufacturer doesn't want to know you - so why buy something that you know will be a problem?? To support overpaid UAW workers who are in the 'jobs bank', drinking beer all day and getting 95% of their salary???

No one buys the services my labor provides because I'm an American - they buy my services because I do good work at a fair price... and if that fails to be the case, they outsource my job - and absolutely NO ONE would stand up for me....

Sorry - but your reasoning is falling on deaf ears...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies