Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2009, 12:30 PM

89,319 posts, read 45,042,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Lastly, we have always educated everyone in this country. And that's counter to what you are favoring.
What??? When everyone has a choice as to which school they will attend, how is that not educating everyone?

Old 02-16-2009, 12:35 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,311,776 times
Quote:
No, They are anti-education. They just won't say so.
I totally disagree

Old 02-16-2009, 12:38 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,012,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent;7488879
Precisely! Why? Because many colleges use [B
selective enrollment[/b]. And here's the kicker - PUBLIC tax money goes to private colleges and universities (Pell Grants, etc.).

Please elaborate if I'm misunderstanding your words.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Actually ... it is lower-income blacks and other lower-income minorities who would benefit the most from a voucher system because it gives them a choice and a WAY out of the underperforming schools they are now stuck in because their parents cannot afford private education.
Yes. An evaluation of the first three years of the New York City School Choice Scholarships Program was conducted by Mathematica Policy Research and the Program on Education and Governance at Harvard University. Under this scholarship program, the School Choice Foundation offered 1,300 scholarship of $1,400 per year (for at least 3 years) for children from low-income households who transferred from a public school to a private school. A random selection procedure was used to select 1,300 of the more than 20,000 applicants for these scholarships. The authors of these studies find that African-American students who received scholarships received higher test scores than students who had not received scholarships. The parents of scholarship students reported a higher level of satisfaction with the quality of education than did parents of students in the control group.
http://www.mathematica-mpr.com/publi...Fs/nycfull.pdf

More than 20,000 applicants for 1,300 School Choice Scholarships... I'd say that demonstrates interest. And look at the scholarship recipients' parents' perceptions of the quality of their children's education.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:

Please elaborate if I'm misunderstanding your words.
Selective enrollment: they select students based on a holistic review of high school academic record (difficulty of courses/GPA/class rank), test scores, essays, extracurricular activities (school-related, work, volunteering, etc.), and any evidence of having overcome obstacles/difficulties in their lives.

What do you think you are misunderstanding?

Old 02-16-2009, 01:05 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,311,776 times
A long time ago, when a child was preparing to go on to High School, they gave that child an "apptitude test".

I think they should bring it back.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:19 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,022,522 times
Quote:

I take it from your posts you are a real estate agent.

I was wehre I was living until I moved to PA.. acutally I pretty much slowed down and didn't work much in it after I had my son in 2006. I have not gotten my license in my new state and not sure if I want to at the moment.

Last edited by TristansMommy; 02-16-2009 at 01:38 PM..

Old 02-16-2009, 01:27 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,022,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
A long time ago, when a child was preparing to go on to High School, they gave that child an "apptitude test".

I think they should bring it back.

I agree to that.. I think that is an excellent idea..

I remember taking aptitude tests along the way all throughout school

Old 02-16-2009, 01:48 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,425,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Now I'm not talking about all Republicans. But ever since I got my teaching degree, I noticed that conservatives, in general have a much more hostile attitude toward public ed. than liberals. My Democrat friends have always encouraged me in my career choice, while some conservative friends act like "well...whatever floats your boat man...". One friend even tried to get me to switch careers because public schools were so "anti-God". I got the impression that you can't be a true conservative and agree with universal public education. I really believe that what I'm doing is very beneficial to society.

Now I know public schools have problems, and there needs to be reform, but why are so many conservatives wanting to throw the baby out with the bathwater?
I think you have it totally backwards. Democrats are against school-choice, open enrollment, and private school vouchers, which denies the rights of poorer families to choose better educational options for their children. Republicans support school-choice, open enrollment, vouchers, and the ability to home-school. Open Enrollment would allow families to enroll at schools that are outside of their districts if the children meet the requirments and there is space available. Vouchers would allow parents to receive a check/voucher in the amount spent per pupil by their local school district to put towards private schools. Republicans also support responsible spending. Democrats want to spend tons of money on underperforming schools. Example: In Minneapolis they are spending more per pupil in their underperfoming urban public schools than any of the outlying suburban school districts and are getting much poorer results. If you doubled the spending the Minneapolis school district I would bet you would see little to no improvement. Republicans are against the teachers union because the teachers unions put themselves before the children, not that teachers are underpaid, they just hurt the children's educational options.

I hope that helps!

Old 02-16-2009, 01:52 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,861,279 times
I'd just like to see every child in America have the educational opportunity that Barack Obama had. Barack never went to a public school in the United States as his family could afford private school. Most families cannot afford the $8,000+ that private school costs so they have no choice, just the public school...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.