Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2009, 01:54 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,038,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampwolf View Post
All colleges use selective enrollment, don't they? Underachievers in high school will generally not change in college. Maybe some kind of intermediate program could prove otherwise.

It is foolish to accomodate students and parents who feel that an education is owed to them just because they pay their money. The opportunity, when it comes, is to give the student a chance to learn things. It is the student's actions that determine whether he/she will become educated or not.
I was an underachiever when I was in high school because the curriculum did not challenge me enough. As soon as I got into college and experienced more challenging coursework, my GPA shot up. I ended up graduating with honors when I received my bachelors degree.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:07 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,018,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
I'd just like to see every child in America have the educational opportunity that Barack Obama had. Barack never went to a public school in the United States as his family could afford private school. Most families cannot afford the $8,000+ that private school costs so they have no choice, just the public school...
And if we'd focus our attentions on improving public education (and by improving I do NOT mean throwing money at the problem.. which money is nOT going to solve the problem) then we all could..EVERYONE.. regardless of socio economic status.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:08 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,007,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Selective enrollment: they select students based on a holistic review of high school academic record (difficulty of courses/GPA/class rank), test scores, essays, extracurricular activities (school-related, work, volunteering, etc.), and any evidence of having overcome obstacles/difficulties in their lives.

What do you think you are misunderstanding?

I'm just wondering if you endorse that system for the Primary Ed system?

'Cause it's never worked that way here- unless you count the Southern Ed system until the decision of Brown V Board of Ed was implemented (for where I was, that was 1970.)

Old 02-16-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I was wehre I was living until I moved to PA.. acutally I pretty much slowed down and didn't work much in it after I had my son in 2006. I have not gotten my license in my new state and not sure if I want to at the moment.

It's a tough gig, for sure. And, as you can see by the misinfo here, the Fox News crowd will villify you.

But if you want to help, and can stand the incoming, it is worth it.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
A long time ago, when a child was preparing to go on to High School, they gave that child an "apptitude test".

I think they should bring it back.

Thanks for your honesty.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:16 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,018,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I was an underachiever when I was in high school because the curriculum did not challenge me enough. As soon as I got into college and experienced more challenging coursework, my GPA shot up. I ended up graduating with honors when I received my bachelors degree.

IT may also have to do with maturity.

I was also an underachiever, in the sense that ididn't apply myself.. but I walways managed to pull it out and get my B anyway.

When you reach college, however, you are in courses that most likely are engaging you because they are choosen by you in your choosen major.. so it's classes geared toward what you are interested in.

Also.. with college there is a level of maturity achieved that just isn't in H.S. You're experiencing life out on your own , your looked upon more as an adult..etc etc. etc.

I truly believe that has a lot to do with it as well. But.. in elementary and H.S you DID build hte foundation for your achievements in college.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:47 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,290,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post

Thanks for your honesty.
You are welcome.

Question is - would you support apptitude tests today?

Old 02-16-2009, 02:57 PM

89,157 posts, read 44,939,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post

I'm just wondering if you endorse that system for the Primary Ed system?

'Cause it's never worked that way here- unless you count the Southern Ed system until the decision of Brown V Board of Ed was implemented (for where I was, that was 1970.)
You're trying desperately to inject racism into this to suit your own agenda. It's not about race, it's about equal educational CHOICE for all - from the rural areas to the suburbs to the inner-cities - choice for ALL. Did you not see the link to the study on the NYC School Choice Scholarships I posted?

Old 02-16-2009, 02:59 PM

31,687 posts, read 41,080,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
A long time ago, when a child was preparing to go on to High School, they gave that child an "apptitude test".

I think they should bring it back.
Are you ready for 16 year olds in class with 13 year olds? Eight graders are 13-14 depending on the month they are born. Do you want a 16 year old sitting next to your 13 year old daughter? Would there be an age limit to pass the test after which you are booted out? The problems you and many posters want to address are the consequences of Special Education Laws which exempt students and allow them to graduate at their level. Their diploma does not say Special Education so you assume they met normal standards until they are unable to perform. Then you rightfully blame the system with out ever knowing. Down Syndrome students are obvious. Learning Disabled are not. Private Schools that are not Special Education Schools often don't provide services for and those students are often relegated to fewer options.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:01 PM

31,687 posts, read 41,080,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You're trying desperately to inject racism into this to suit your own agenda. It's not about race, it's about equal educational CHOICE for all - from the rural areas to the suburbs to the inner-cities - choice for ALL. Did you not see the link to the study on the NYC School Choice Scholarships I posted?
Anything you suggest with the use of considerable government support would have to meet the legal challenges as established by Brown V Board of Ed of Topeka Kansas. That gets tricky. Current vouchers are operating in a narrow area that is so far standing up to court challenge. However if done outside of the parameters of No Child Left Behind it would probably fail. If you want I can elaborate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies